Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Ecbucs »

Max Kranick claimed by Mets. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/ ... rates.html Roster still full but agree with others that if there isn't a trade Akila Williams spot is vulnerable.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Another day in this offseason in the books, and not much player activity for the league, and especially for the Pirates. Each day I think the Pirates will sign a free agent, or make a trade, but nothing happens. Monday is the beginning of signing International Players, but those players won’t join the Pirates for several years if at all.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There have been a few reports stating that the Pirates were thinking about bringing back Carlos Santana this season. I liked Santana while he was here, but I wonder if they have room for him. They have signed Cutch, and Tellez who will be DH whenever they are not in the starting lineup. Unless they move Connor Joe, he will probably play some at first base or the outfield. Also they traded for Edward Olivares who will probably make the team as a fourth outfielder. In my opinion there just doesn’t seem like there is a fit for Santana. If the Pirates were going to spend additional money, which I hope they do, I would spend it on starting pitching.
Possum

Post by Possum »

While Tellez is younger than Santana he has hands at first base that would make you want Dick Stuart back at the position. Santana & Tellez have about the same power. I would rather they signed Santana because of his glove and his veteran leadership for the team.
Let's Go Bucs
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Possum wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:43 pm While Tellez is younger than Santana he has hands at first base that would make you want Dick Stuart back at the position. Santana & Tellez have about the same power. I would rather they signed Santana because of his glove and his veteran leadership for the team.
You are correct about Tellez’s defense as well as him having about the same power as Santana. When they traded Santana in July it sounded like there would be a reunion with Pittsburgh. Good possibility that money was the determining factor, but as we get closer to ST Santana’s price will probably go down. Possibly the Pirates should have waited to sign their new first baseman.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Ah yes, Dick Stuart, Dr. Strange Glove
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

The problem with Tellez (besides defense) is that HRs are nice but you don't produce a lot of runs unless you can hit somewhat consistently. His previous 2 seasons have been at .219 and .215. When he hit .219 in 2022, he had 35 HRs and 89 RBIs, which sounds very good. But looking at his 2022 splits, he had 24 of those RBIs in May when he batted a respectable .255 with 6 HRs. But compare that to his September stats that year when he had 7 more ABs than in May, 8 HRs but hit only .184. He produced only 14 RBIs that month despite hitting 2 more HRs than in May. He needs to hit better than he has the past 2 years.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There is a report out there today that Rodriguez the Cuban right handed pitcher is closing in on a deal with the Jays. It appears there is an immigration problem which is holding up the deal. I had hoped the Pirates would sign him. Just another disappointment from our Pirates team.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:54 pm There is a report out there today that Rodriguez the Cuban right handed pitcher is closing in on a deal with the Jays. It appears there is an immigration problem which is holding up the deal. I had hoped the Pirates would sign him. Just another disappointment from our Pirates team.
We should be used to it by now. Not only has there been little activity this year, it’s pretty much been the standard procedure every year since long before this Front Office group arrived. They’re not going to spend in a way that will have them act like a real big league club, fjk. The owner won’t let them. He’ll never let them.

Th Pirates operate in a way that severely limits their ability to compete on the field. It’s not going to change.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:55 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:54 pm There is a report out there today that Rodriguez the Cuban right handed pitcher is closing in on a deal with the Jays. It appears there is an immigration problem which is holding up the deal. I had hoped the Pirates would sign him. Just another disappointment from our Pirates team.
We should be used to it by now. Not only has there been little activity this year, it’s pretty much been the standard procedure every year since long before this Front Office group arrived. They’re not going to spend in a way that will have them act like a real big league club, fjk. The owner won’t let them. He’ll never let them.

Th Pirates operate in a way that severely limits their ability to compete on the field. It’s not going to change.
I guess I try to be optimistic that something will change, but it is always a letdown. I don’t expect the signing of the big superstar, but some middle of the pack players. Guys which could get the team over the hump, and taking the pressure off the younger players. In my opinion this team could use a couple additional players, and if they don’t sustain an injury to one of their better players we could reach the postseason in 2024. We have a month until ST so there is still time to do something positive.