The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

The Departed

Post by BenM »

6A6E6651475762454A240 wrote: Ike Davis and Stetson Alie are both now pitching in the Dodgers system.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagra ... -notes-87/

They move Stetson back to the mound after years of him trying to be a hitter and he can still throw close to 100?

I don't know all of the details of why the Pirates switched him to the field, but i looks like their first plan of using him as a pitcher was correct.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Allie was/is a known great athlete. He wanted to pitch and be a Closer type. I don't think the Pirates ever took him seriously.
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

585C54637565507778160 wrote: Ike Davis and Stetson Alie are both now pitching in the Dodgers system.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagra ... -notes-87/
Ike struck out the side in his debut.
ChitownBucco

The Departed

Post by ChitownBucco »

38333B373233286D6B1C253D343333723F335C0 wrote: Allie was/is a known great athlete. He wanted to pitch and be a Closer type. I don't think the Pirates ever took him seriously.

yeah they might have made him their 2nd round pick and gave him 2.25 million signing bonus as a joke.

or his 1 walk per inning rate in his first season pitching and his 8 walks and 4 hits allowed in his 2/3 of an inning the following year might have led them to believe the wildness they saw in extended spring training was pretty much full blown steve blass disease.

he wasn't much of a pitcher in High School as I recall, but maybe took some roids and threw all out to hit 100 mph in max effort on the radar and fooled some scouts.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

0F242538233B220E392F2F234C0 wrote: Allie was/is a known great athlete. He wanted to pitch and be a Closer type. I don't think the Pirates ever took him seriously.

yeah they might have made him their 2nd round pick and gave him 2.25 million signing bonus as a joke.

or his 1 walk per inning rate in his first season pitching and his  8 walks and 4 hits allowed in his 2/3 of an inning the following year might have led them to believe the wildness they saw in extended spring training was pretty much full blown steve blass disease.

he wasn't much of a pitcher in High School as I recall, but maybe took some roids and threw all out  to hit 100 mph in max effort on the radar and fooled some scouts.

didn't he not want to pitch when drafted? Thought the Pirates money offer convinced him to try pitching but he saw himself as a hitter.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

123938253E263F132432323E510 wrote: Allie was/is a known great athlete. He wanted to pitch and be a Closer type. I don't think the Pirates ever took him seriously.

or his 1 walk per inning rate in his first season pitching and his  8 walks and 4 hits allowed in his 2/3 of an inning the following year might have led them to believe the wildness they saw in extended spring training was pretty much full blown steve blass disease.

he wasn't much of a pitcher in High School as I recall, but maybe took some roids and threw all out  to hit 100 mph in max effort on the radar and fooled some scouts.
Yes, his pitching stats were horrendous. But it was a very small sample size. Just 26 innings his first pro season and just 2 games (0.2 innings) his 2nd season. They decided very quickly he wasn't going to pitch. I wonder if the spector of the John Van Benschoten mistake weighed on them when they quickly gave up on pitching and wanted him to hit.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: Allie was/is a known great athlete. He wanted to pitch and be a Closer type. I don't think the Pirates ever took him seriously.

Yes, his pitching stats were horrendous. But it was a very small sample size. Just 26 innings his first pro season and just 2 games (0.2 innings) his 2nd season. They decided very quickly he wasn't going to pitch. I wonder if the spector of the John Van Benschoten mistake weighed on them when they quickly gave up on pitching and wanted him to hit. 

Thanks. I guess he was drafted as a pitcher. Big kid who batted .500 in high school.
ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Jason Rogers off to a nice start in Japan (Hanshin Tigers): 3 homers, 13 RBIs in 17 games, .316/.409/.544.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

Tony Watson had a rough inning yesterday. He gave up a Grand Slam and the Dodgers lost. His ERA as a Dodger is now 10.13.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

Jhan Marinez is now a Ranger.