The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I love the Pirates but over the years lost interest in MLB overall. I don't watch post season games since the Pirates don't participate. I don't even check the standings other than the Pirates' situation. If and when MLB starts up again, I'll closely follow the Pirates. But in the meantime, I don't care. I don't care who gets what money or if they even play at all. MLB markets itself to the casual fan more than the dedicated ones. And I'm a dedicated Pirate fan but barely even a casual fan of the overall MLB product.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

64414242577C41494B5C2E0 wrote: What a very sad state of affairs

In a world still battling a pandemic, Ukraine fighting to hold on to sovereignty and their democracy against a Russian invasion, social issues, the 2 major political parties in the US that cannot come together on policy, we now have the billionaires and millionaires in MLB that cannot agree on how to split the golden egg!

As a lifelong baseball fan and Pirates fan, I have grown apathetic.

MLB and the players don’t give a shit about all of the people that make their living or make ends meet by working in baseball. All those people are out of work. Meanwhile the players can’t be satisfied with a $700K minimum wage and all of the additional money thrown their way. They don’t care about competitive balance as they want to drastically increase the level of team payroll that a tax would occur. They even did away with draft pick compensation for teams that lose players to free agency.

This time I blame the players.

I am reminded of a scene from one of my favorite baseball movies; Fever Pitch.

Jimmy Fallon (Ben) a fanatical Red Sox fan is coaching his Little League team. One of the kids comes up to him at practice and says:

Coach, you pour your heart out and love the Red Sox; but have the Red Sox ever loved you back?

Does baseball return the love of the fans? Something to think

About
You make a lot of good points. I agree with you. I know people are bashing Manfred, but I don’t think very much of Tony Clark who represents the players. Both he and Harold Reynolds are former players, and when I have listened to Reynolds on the MLB Network he understands both sides in this negotiation. I think Clark is getting advice from player agents which is not a good thing.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: I love the Pirates but over the years lost interest in MLB overall. I don't watch post season games since the Pirates don't participate. I don't even check the standings other than the Pirates' situation. If and when MLB starts up again, I'll closely follow the Pirates. But in the meantime, I don't care. I don't care who gets what money or if they even play at all. MLB markets itself to the casual fan more than the dedicated ones. And I'm a dedicated Pirate fan but barely even a casual fan of the overall MLB product.
You are not alone. Last FridayI was in the local coffee shop

with mostly Phillies fans (they do feel sorry for me :D) Anyway, most of them said that they don't care if baseball is played or not

this year. They said Baseball has taken a back seat to the NFL and NBA. and even college sports. One guy said "it's the haves and the have nots. The hell with them"
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Jolly- we can say/ask the same about the owners.  This isn't just on players.  Let's not forget that it was the owners who have halted play.  And, the owners want money every bit as much as the "greediest" of player.  Blame is equal, IMO.

Bob- Hard to disagree with you.  I'll just ask you to consider- our owner might not have Yankee, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Padres money, but we know darned well that he has Brewers, Reds, and Cardinals money.  And, if he doesn't, we should want to ask why not.

I'm grateful that I can set all of that and more aside.  I love the sport.  I love the competition.  I don't think about uniforms, replay, commercials, announcers, designated hitters.  I focus on the guy on the mound and they guy up to bat; man vs.man.  Man vs. nine. 

Bob Nutting causes me to be ashamed of the team I love.  It's still the team that i love.

If this CBA stokes him to sell, then I'll be all for it.  It's for the common good.

Dave- it's the haves and have even mores.

They ALL have.  Bob has.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1A2421293A222229092C3B287F4D0 wrote: I love the Pirates but over the years lost interest in MLB overall. I don't watch post season games since the Pirates don't participate. I don't even check the standings other than the Pirates' situation. If and when MLB starts up again, I'll closely follow the Pirates. But in the meantime, I don't care. I don't care who gets what money or if they even play at all. MLB markets itself to the casual fan more than the dedicated ones. And I'm a dedicated Pirate fan but barely even a casual fan of the overall MLB product.
You are not alone. Last FridayI was in the local coffee shop

with mostly Phillies fans (they do feel sorry for me :D) Anyway, most of them said that they don't care if baseball is played or not

this year. They said Baseball has taken a back seat to the NFL and NBA. and even college sports. One guy said "it's the haves and the have nots. The hell with them"
Yes, in my case I can say I'm a very diehard fan of both the Pirates and Steelers. But while I have no interest in MLB beyond the Pirates, I take interest in the NFL overall with playoff scenarios and post season play even when it doesn't involve the Steelers. I used to be that way with MLB but not for a number of years now.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

the owners goal is to keep as much of the revenue baseball generates in the hands of the owners.

The players goal is to get as much of the revenue baseball generates as they can.

Negotiations shouldn't be this hard.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

After the lockout was announced, they went a long time before getting together in my opinion. Time is the enemy. That is just one of a number of key mistakes. I wonder whether that was two mistakes. Was calling for the lockout necessary? I dnk.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5B6E7979724B79797275791C0 wrote: After the lockout was announced, they went a long time before getting together in my opinion.  Time is the enemy.  That is just one of a number of key mistakes.  I wonder whether that was two mistakes.  Was calling for the lockout necessary?  I dnk.
Ron Cooks article in todays PG (3-2) kind of reinforces what we are talking about
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

122730303B0230303B3C30550 wrote: After the lockout was announced, they went a long time before getting together in my opinion.  Time is the enemy.  That is just one of a number of key mistakes.  I wonder whether that was two mistakes.  Was calling for the lockout necessary?  I dnk.
I think a lockout covered the owners just in case if during this season the players went on strike. After the lockout began in December MLB had loads of time to begin negotiations to ratify a settlement to begin ST, and the season on time. I enjoy baseball, and the Pirates will always be my favorite team, but I am so disappointed with the Owners and Players that these negotiations have come to this. It is March 2, I am ready to hear Greg Brown and Company announcing Pirates Baseball. For me listening or watching a Pirate game in early March is a sure sign that winter is past, and spring and summer are on its way.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6E6263383138303D3A253F080 wrote: After the lockout was announced, they went a long time before getting together in my opinion.  Time is the enemy.  That is just one of a number of key mistakes.  I wonder whether that was two mistakes.  Was calling for the lockout necessary?  I dnk.
I think a lockout covered the owners just in case if  during this season the players went on strike. After the lockout began in December MLB had loads of time to begin negotiations to ratify a settlement to begin ST, and the season on time. I enjoy baseball, and the Pirates will always be my favorite team, but I am so disappointed with the Owners and Players that these negotiations have come to this. It is March 2, I am ready to hear Greg Brown and Company announcing Pirates Baseball. For me listening or watching a Pirate game in early March is a sure sign that winter is past, and spring and summer are on its way.

I know you need a deadline in order to have serious negotiations but a lot of basics could have been talked about and agreed to during the 2020 and 2021 seasons. It is disappointing as a fan to not be talking about break out rookies, potential starting lineups etc. by now.