Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'll go along with nearly all of your thoughts here.  One that I don't fully agree with is how "narrow" the success that we eluded was back then.  We lost in the first round.  That's quite a bit from losing at the end.  When all it takes is a stud pitcher to neuter an offense, that's an indication that maybe we fell behind on the bell lap.  Nothing at all to be ashamed of.  It happens often enough.

If we were to take team names off.....and, leave GM names out....and just say Team X and GM Y, ....I would say that the task of fielding a championship-level team in today's game with less than 75% of the MLB average payroll isn't just a tall order.  It's an order that no objective person would bet on it happening.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

734651515A6351515A5D51340 wrote: I'll go along with nearly all of your thoughts here.  One that I don't fully agree with is how "narrow" the success that we eluded was back then.  We lost in the first round.  That's quite a bit from losing at the end.  When all it takes is a stud pitcher to neuter an offense, that's an indication that maybe we fell behind on the bell lap.  Nothing at all to be ashamed of.  It happens often enough.

If we were to take team names off.....and, leave GM names out....and just say Team X and GM Y, ....I would say that the task of fielding a championship-level team in today's game with less than 75% of the MLB average payroll isn't just a tall order.  It's an order that no objective person would bet on it happening.
Agreed. And when I say "success narrowly eluded them" I'm referring to having the 2nd best record in MLB and thus putting themselves in a strong position to win a championship. Had they won the WC game they would likely have been one of the favorites to win the WS. At that point they needed an upgrade over Alvarez, Locke and Morton and to keep Happ (since Burnett was retiring). None of those needs were realized as they saved money by getting Jaso and Vogelsong, keeping Locke and not resigning Happ. That turned a 98 win team into a 78 win team. >:(
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

People have disagreed with me, but I've never waivered that "every MLB season is really four seasons":

A. Off-season- Prepping to compete.  Prepping to claim that you're really prepping when everyone knows you aren't.

B. Opening Day until the TDL- jockeying for position.  25 teams think they have a chance for the post-season.  Maybe five aren't bothering much to break a perspiration.

C. TDL to the PS- This is when the whips come out and the 25 teams head for the tape.  Some peter out toward the tape.  Some come alive and run through it. 

D.  PS- The ten that make it beat each other up, and one survives.  Each level often takes its toll.  Hat's off to the winners.  Better luck next time for all others.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: I'll go along with nearly all of your thoughts here.  One that I don't fully agree with is how "narrow" the success that we eluded was back then.  We lost in the first round.  That's quite a bit from losing at the end.  When all it takes is a stud pitcher to neuter an offense, that's an indication that maybe we fell behind on the bell lap.  Nothing at all to be ashamed of.  It happens often enough.

Agreed. And when I say "success narrowly eluded them" I'm referring to having the 2nd best record in MLB and thus putting themselves in a strong position to win a championship. Had they won the WC game they would likely have been one of the favorites to win the WS. At that point they needed an upgrade over Alvarez, Locke and Morton and to keep Happ (since Burnett was retiring). None of those needs were realized as they saved money by getting Jaso and Vogelsong, keeping Locke and not resigning Happ. That turned a 98 win team into a 78 win team.  >:(

Often, folks think that the difference between 78 and 98 is the Grand Canyon.  In most cases, it really isn't.

It's "a guy here.  A guy there."  A guy has a fantastic/career year.  Another guy scroos the pooch.

You're right.  A slight difference here, there, and we could have done even better.  In one of those years (can't remember which, specifically) it could have come down to the pitching matchups. 

The team we went up against was able to toss their stud out there.  We had to use our hottest guy earlier that week, and wasn't available for the WCG  Do I have that correctly? 

THAT is why it's so important for teams to go after the Division title, and not roll the dice on a one-and-done.  That's why I love the current system as much as I do.  It makes managers use their brains.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Mets name Billy Eppler GM
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Brandon Belt accepts Qualifying Offer
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Guardians are now official name of the Cleveland franchise
mouse

Off Season Thread

Post by mouse »

Manfred says a lockout will help resolve the labor dispute. Sounds like it's coming.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/326 ... ks-forward
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

321413060F0314020A610 wrote: Guardians are now official name of the Cleveland franchise
Now what do we do with Braves, Chiefs, Warriors and Seminoles and a host of others?
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Nothing. We have enough of our own matters to resolve.