Last Minute Trade Buzz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

RichD

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by RichD »

Pirates should of traded Diaz instead of McGuire . Both of them have weak bats but McGuire much younger and i like his bb/k ratio .I think his bat will get better down the road .Diaz had 1 good season with the bat. But he really cant hit just look at the resume.

McGuire looks to be a possible 260-270 guy that will hit 20+ doubles and not strikeout a ton and is  many years younger .With Cervelli and the Stewart signed we could of had McGuire getting stronger with the bat down low for a few years.Maybe building some serious trade value with him if we wanted to make a real trade.
Ecbucs

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by Ecbucs »

477C767D51150 wrote: Pirates should of traded Diaz instead of McGuire . Both of them have weak bats but McGuire much younger and i like his bb/k ratio .I think his bat will get better down the road .Diaz had 1 good season with the bat. But he really cant hit just look at the resume.

McGuire looks to be a possible 260-270 guy that will hit 20+ doubles and not strikeout a ton and is  many years younger .With Cervelli and the Stewart signed we could of had McGuire getting stronger with the bat down low for a few years.Maybe building some serious trade value with him if we wanted to make a real trade.

we don't know if the Bucs tried to deal Diaz first but it is an interesting thought. Personally I would rather have included Stewart which makes me think the Blue Jays do think that McGuire has a decent chance of being a major league regular.
rucker59@gmail.com

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

456362756373000 wrote: NH explains Liriano deal:

The Pirates have taken plenty of flak since sending left-hander Francisco Liriano and a pair of prospects – outfielder Harold Ramirez and catcher Reese McGuire –  to the Blue Jays on Monday for right-hander Drew Hutchison. General manager Neal Huntington explained the Bucs’ thinking Saturday, telling Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh-Tribune Review, .”  “Our primary motivation was to acquire Drew Hutchison. … Instead, it came out that we moved two prospects to move Liriano’s contract. Now I can’t tell you that wasn’t a part of the motivation, but the primary motivation was to acquire a quality pitcherThe 25-year-old Hutchison has spent the vast majority of the season in the minors and owns a below-average 4.92 ERA in 406 1/3 major league innings, but he has recorded a solid 15.1 K-BB percentage and is controllable through 2018. The Pirates were particularly mindful of the latter factor upon acquiring him. “Mediocre pitching is getting paid a lot of money. As we look forward, whether it’s the trade market or free agent market, the challenge of acquiring quality, controllable, productive starting pitching … is hard to do,” said Huntington. As for Liriano, Huntington expects him to do well “where hitters are unfamiliar with him, in a new environment, with new scouting reports,” but the GM believes the opposition in the National League became too accustomed to the 32-year-old.

I heard Neal talk about this today - he sounded very convincing that the real deal was two prospects for a starting pitcher.  He talked a lot about the cost of even average pitching; through the roof.  I take that to mean that the price the Pirates paid is not out of line with the cost league wide, especially when Frankie was added in. 

So maybe it's not as bad as it seemed. 

I do know this - somewhere in this thread Dog offered this exact  scenario as a possibility to explain the trade; he was pretty much blown off by everyone.  It would seem Dog was indeed sitting on the right deal.  I'm here to give Dog his due.

Also, Dog is clearly Neal Huttington.   ;)
Ecbucs

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by Ecbucs »

7B7C6A626C7B3C30496E64686065276A6664090 wrote: NH explains Liriano deal:

The Pirates have taken plenty of flak since sending left-hander Francisco Liriano and a pair of prospects – outfielder Harold Ramirez and catcher Reese McGuire –  to the Blue Jays on Monday for right-hander Drew Hutchison. General manager Neal Huntington explained the Bucs’ thinking Saturday, telling Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh-Tribune Review, .”  “Our primary motivation was to acquire Drew Hutchison. … Instead, it came out that we moved two prospects to move Liriano’s contract. Now I can’t tell you that wasn’t a part of the motivation, but the primary motivation was to acquire a quality pitcherThe 25-year-old Hutchison has spent the vast majority of the season in the minors and owns a below-average 4.92 ERA in 406 1/3 major league innings, but he has recorded a solid 15.1 K-BB percentage and is controllable through 2018. The Pirates were particularly mindful of the latter factor upon acquiring him. “Mediocre pitching is getting paid a lot of money. As we look forward, whether it’s the trade market or free agent market, the challenge of acquiring quality, controllable, productive starting pitching … is hard to do,” said Huntington. As for Liriano, Huntington expects him to do well “where hitters are unfamiliar with him, in a new environment, with new scouting reports,” but the GM believes the opposition in the National League became too accustomed to the 32-year-old.

I heard Neal talk about this today - he sounded very convincing that the real deal was two prospects for a starting pitcher.  He talked a lot about the cost of even average pitching; through the roof.  I take that to mean that the price the Pirates paid is not out of line with the cost league wide, especially when Frankie was added in. 

I do know this - somewhere in this thread Dog offered this exact  scenario as a possibility to explain the trade; he was pretty much blown off by everyone.  It would seem Dog was indeed sitting on the right deal.  I'm here to give Dog his due.

My concern it that Hutchison may not be very good. He was only competing for the 5th starter role in Toronto.

If he is another Niese that would be a disaster. I expect there will be a lot of pressure on Neil if the 2017 team isn't much improved over this season.
UtahPirate

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by UtahPirate »

704B414A66220 wrote: Pirates should of traded Diaz instead of McGuire . Both of them have weak bats but McGuire much younger and i like his bb/k ratio .I think his bat will get better down the road .Diaz had 1 good season with the bat. But he really cant hit just look at the resume.

Count me as a huge Diaz fan. I think he has the chance to be an elite defense catcher as a major leaguer. In looking at his resume did you miss his winning the best defensive catcher in all of the minors award last year as you seem to focus only on offense.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/154705808 ... ins-award/

He gets plus marks for his arm, plus marks for his quick feet and plus marks for his pitch framing. Many teams came after him this winter, including Texas who really put a push on to get him.

I know that McGuire has been followed closely as a first round pick where he quickly earned prospect status, but Diaz hitting stats at both A+ and AA are much better than McGuire. I know there is an age difference (there is also a big US vs Latin development difference that factors in). You say McGuire's bat will get better, but his offense has declined once he hit A ball. On the other hand, that's where Diaz's offense really started to climb.

I was appalled that McGuire was included in the Hutchison trade. But Diaz would have made it a serious disaster.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6E697F77796E29255C7B717D7570327F73711C0 wrote: NH explains Liriano deal:

Thanks VA.
SteadyFreddy

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by SteadyFreddy »

616A626E6B6A713432457C646D6A6A2B666A050 wrote: NH explains Liriano deal:

Thanks VA.

Maybe but I have a hard time believing this. It's not like Hutchison was Matt Moore or somebody better. It shouldn't have taken Liriano and 2 of your top 10 prospects to acquire him. I'm not buying it.
SammyKhalifa

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6C4B5A5E5B46794D5A5B5B463F0 wrote:

Maybe but I have a hard time believing this. It's not like Hutchison was Matt Moore or somebody better. It shouldn't have taken Liriano and 2 of your top 10 prospects to acquire him. I'm not buying it.

To be fair it ALSO doesn't take two of your top ten prospects to trade away a contract of a guy that might contribute next year. Those happen all of the time without prospects changing hands.

We forget that someone took Charlie Morton for nothing, who has no where the ceiling (or floor probably) of Liriano.

Something not normal is going on here. Something not exactly "baseball trade" but at the same time not "OMG SALRY DUMP" either.
rucker59@gmail.com

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

12202C2C380A29202D282720410 wrote:

To be fair it ALSO doesn't take two of your top ten prospects to trade away a contract of a guy that might contribute next year.  Those happen all of the time without prospects changing hands.

We forget that someone took Charlie Morton for nothing, who has no where the ceiling (or floor probably) of Liriano. 

Something not normal is going on here.  Something not exactly "baseball trade" but at the same time not "OMG SALRY DUMP" either.

Now I'm starting to understand you're point - the trade itself must have value because it would not take two prospects to dump one year of Frankie given his potential upside and relative modest cost, and the fact someone took Charlie is the proof.  This has flown over my head till now.

I have to agree with you.  That makes sense in light of what Dog, I mean Neal, is saying. 

Like Freddy, I don't know that's a good deal, but it's better than a pure salary dump. 
PMike

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by PMike »

3E392F27293E79750C2B212D2520622F23214C0 wrote:

To be fair it ALSO doesn't take two of your top ten prospects to trade away a contract of a guy that might contribute next year.  Those happen all of the time without prospects changing hands.

Something not normal is going on here.  Something not exactly "baseball trade" but at the same time not "OMG SALRY DUMP" either.

Now I'm starting to understand you're point - the trade itself must have value because it would not take two prospects to dump one year of Frankie given his potential upside and relative modest cost, and the fact someone took Charlie is the proof.  This has flown over my head till now.

I have to agree with you.  That makes sense in light of what Dog, I mean Neal, is saying. 

Like Freddy, I don't know that's a good deal, but it's better than a pure salary dump. 

Tim at PP did an interesting article breaking down the trade.  He touched heavily on Hutchinson and compared him to both AJ Burnett and to Matt Moore.  Both pitchers coming out of the AL East.  In regards to Matt Moore, Hutchison's advanced stats actually could be pretty encouraging.  He has a significantly better xFIP than Moore.  HR's have been a problem in Toronto.  The Pirates think that the ballpark and some other tweaks they envision should help him out a guy that already has tons of potential.  FWIW.