Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Doc »

I’m reading an article in this morning’s Post-Gazette about yesterday’s Q and A session with the Pirates brass at Pirates Fest. Travis Williams (and as with Connelly, I have no idea what his purpose is) said the club was trying to build a winner, was doing all the right things to win, and then added, “We also want to make this work within the economics of baseball”. Does anyone have an idea as to what that means?

Also, make note of what Cherington said regarding the weeks leading up to the start of Spring Training: he said he’s not done trying to add to the roster, that there’s more he’d like to do. We’ve heard this before. Will there be one or more quality additions, or even any acquisitions at all? If past history is any indication, the roster we see now is about what we’ll see on Opening Day.

I’m becoming more and more frustrated by the inactivity, and the refusal to try to acquire legitimate talent. I genuinely thought this offseason was going to be different. So far, bubkas. More and more, it’s looking like we’re in the middle of yet another cycle where a GM comes in to turn things around, only to be replaced by another one who starts the process of tearing down and rebuilding all over again.

For Crissakes, act like a major league ball club. Do what it takes to sign Cody Bellinger.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:42 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:17 pm Some writers have suggested the Pirates will acquire starting pitchers by trade, but if a trade didn’t happen which two of these free agent starters would you want the Pirates to sign. Possibly none of the 6 I have proposed:
Michael Lorenzen
Dakota Hudson
Lucas Giolito
Sean Manaea
Hyun Ryu
Yariel Rodriguez ( the Cuban pitcher)

Hopefully the Pirates acquire a starting pitcher or two very soon.
In mid December I listed these 6 starting free agent pitchers as possible pitchers the Pirates could pursue. So far only Giolito has signed with another team. Sure none of the remaining pitchers aren’t big stars, but if one or two of them could sign with the Pirates and cover some innings until reinforcements such as Skenes, Brubaker or Burrows arrives I believe that would make the Pirates much more competitive in 2024.
Three of the pitchers I suggested have now signed with other teams, and 3 remain. Good possibility none will sign with the Pirates. I hope the Bucs don’t go bargain hunting for a starting pitcher.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Doc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:45 pm I’m reading an article in this morning’s Post-Gazette about yesterday’s Q and A session with the Pirates brass at Pirates Fest. Travis Williams (and as with Connelly, I have no idea what his purpose is) said the club was trying to build a winner, was doing all the right things to win, and then added, “We also want to make this work within the economics of baseball”. Does anyone have an idea as to what that means?

Also, make note of what Cherington said regarding the weeks leading up to the start of Spring Training: he said he’s not done trying to add to the roster, that there’s more he’d like to do. We’ve heard this before. Will there be one or more quality additions, or even any acquisitions at all? If past history is any indication, the roster we see now is about what we’ll see on Opening Day.
What happened to not blaming the economics of baseball?

"The Pirates will not use economics, our financial resources or the economic system of baseball as a crutch. I absolutely believe that we can build an organization that will compete for championships in Pittsburgh. ... There is no reason why the Pirates can't enjoy success with our resources." - Coonelly (MLB)

"And unlike their predecessors, Nutting et al will not blame the economics of baseball for the team's predicament. ... "The 'Woe is me, look at our market size,' that doesn't play here,' says Coonelly" - SI

All the big "wait and see" talk eventually turns into "time to move on".

"Asked Bob Nutting what it will take for Pirates to break cycle of 'develop, then sell when gets too costly.' Answer: 'I think you'd have a fundamental redesign of the economics of baseball, that's not what we're going to have.' - Graves
Doc

Post by Doc »

3pirates3 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:39 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:45 pm I’m reading an article in this morning’s Post-Gazette about yesterday’s Q and A session with the Pirates brass at Pirates Fest. Travis Williams (and as with Connelly, I have no idea what his purpose is) said the club was trying to build a winner, was doing all the right things to win, and then added, “We also want to make this work within the economics of baseball”. Does anyone have an idea as to what that means?

What happened to not blaming the economics of baseball?

"The Pirates will not use economics, our financial resources or the economic system of baseball as a crutch. I absolutely believe that we can build an organization that will compete for championships in Pittsburgh. ... There is no reason why the Pirates can't enjoy success with our resources." - Coonelly (MLB)

"And unlike their predecessors, Nutting et al will not blame the economics of baseball for the team's predicament. ... "The 'Woe is me, look at our market size,' that doesn't play here,' says Coonelly" - SI

All the big "wait and see" talk eventually turns into "time to move on".

"Asked Bob Nutting what it will take for Pirates to break cycle of 'develop, then sell when gets too costly.' Answer: 'I think you'd have a fundamental redesign of the economics of baseball, that's not what we're going to have.' - Graves
No matter who’s been in the Front Office, they’re all well-versed in skirting around the truth and hoping us fans don’t remember.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

It means don't hold your breath waiting for them to spend money.

It means they are talking out of both sides of their mouth. They tell the fans they're trying to build a winner while reminding us that anything they try to do will be limited by the economics of baseball. So the priorities are (A) keep a low payroll and (B) try to build a winner despite A.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:05 pm
It means don't hold your breath waiting for them to spend money.

It means they are talking out of both sides of their mouth. They tell the fans they're trying to build a winner while reminding us that anything they try to do will be limited by the economics of baseball. So the priorities are (A) keep a low payroll and (B) try to build a winner despite A.
That’s sounds about right. They’re all lying liars who lie.
Possum

Post by Possum »

J.T Brubaker Avoids Arbitration He will make $2.275 million for 2024
Let's Go Bucs
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Possum wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:45 pm J.T Brubaker Avoids Arbitration He will make $2.275 million for 2024
I see that MLB and the Players Union have agreed to move up the day to exchange arbitration figures to tomorrow at 8 PM.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Possum wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:45 pm J.T Brubaker Avoids Arbitration He will make $2.275 million for 2024
Not bad since he got paid for doing nothing last year
Doc

Post by Doc »

A writer on the mlb.com site predicts the Pirates will win the 2029 World Series. His reasoning is based on the current ranking of the farm system among the other clubs.