Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

Spring Training Thread

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Word is that spring training is about to be suspended.
Surgnbuck

Spring Training Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

262A232E39653F2226243F2332797B0B2C264B0 wrote: Word is that spring training is about to be suspended.

I'm certain MLB is going to have an official stance very soon. NBA and NHL have already fired their first salvos, including the NCAA.

I'm waiting to see exactly what's enacted. Part of the issue is going to be individual locales, like what's already being done in Oakland and Seattle, based on those cities ordinances.

Pittsburgh cancelled the St. Patricks Day parade, and I believe are or are going to cancel the Pittsburgh marathon. My PT just told me she got communication regarding that...she's running the half marathon. Refund or participate in virtual race. She questioned laughingly what that's supposed to mean.

I'm just wondering what the contract language on my tickets says. I have a half season plan plus parking. I can only wonder what this is doing to hotels and businesses already.

Just got word a little bit ago one of our biggest karate tournaments was cancelled last night.

Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

5D7B7C69606C7B6D650E0 wrote: Word is that spring training is about to be suspended.

I'm certain MLB is going to have an official stance very soon. NBA and NHL have already fired their first salvos, including the NCAA.

I'm waiting to see exactly what's enacted. Part of the issue is going to be individual locales, like what's already being done in Oakland and Seattle, based on those cities ordinances.

Pittsburgh cancelled the St. Patricks Day parade, and I believe are or are going to cancel the Pittsburgh marathon. My PT just told me she got communication regarding that...she's running the half marathon. Refund or participate in virtual race. She questioned laughingly what that's supposed to mean.

I'm just wondering what the contract language on my tickets says. I have a half season plan plus parking. I can only wonder what this is doing to hotels and businesses already.

Just got word a little bit ago one of our biggest karate tournaments was cancelled last night.

Well that's it for Spring Training boys. They made the announcement. I guess they will send everyone home for 3 weeks or so. Never seen anything like this.
maher.timothy20@gm

Spring Training Thread

I bet they send everyone home for longer than three weeks. And when they're ready to start again, what then? There won't be a pitcher in baseball who's ready to go five innings.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

323E373A2D712B3632302B37266D6F1F38325F0 wrote: I bet they send everyone home for longer than three weeks. And when they're ready to start again, what then? There won't be a pitcher in baseball who's ready to go five innings.

You got that right Davis !!!!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

666A636E79257F6266647F6372393B4B6C660B0 wrote: I bet they send everyone home for longer than three weeks. And when they're ready to start again, what then? There won't be a pitcher in baseball who's ready to go five innings.

I thought I heard today that the Pirates were going to keep the players in Bradenton, so most importantly they'd be somewhat quarantined and also so they can continue their workouts. I don't know that for sure, though. It would make sense. If all teams did that, everyone would be ready to go once the season is determined to begin.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

2E786E7A756F7F74796E5C7B717D7570327F1C0 wrote: I bet they send everyone home for longer than three weeks. And when they're ready to start again, what then? There won't be a pitcher in baseball who's ready to go five innings.

I thought I heard today that the Pirates were going to keep the players in Bradenton, so most importantly they'd be somewhat quarantined and also so they can continue their workouts.  I don't know that for sure, though.  It would make sense.  If all teams did that, everyone would be ready to go once the season is determined to begin.

If true that would make sense. They have 4 playing fields at Pirate City and could see them playing inter-squad games there to try to keep them sharp. If I get out that way I will drive by and see if I can see anything as I am sure they will also close the complex.
maher.timothy20@gm

Spring Training Thread

I wonder if when the season finally starts if they could do some temporary emergency measure where they expand the roster by two spots so teams have extra relievers. Maybe for the first two weeks of the season.
Bobster21

Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

3E323B36217D273A3E3C273B2A616313343E530 wrote: I wonder if when the season finally starts if they could do some temporary emergency measure where they expand the roster by two spots so teams have extra relievers. Maybe for the first two weeks of the season.
I liked an old rule that ended in the 1960s that allowed teams to carry 28 players for the first 30 days of their schedule before cutting down to 25.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

062B26373021367675440 wrote: I wonder if when the season finally starts if they could do some temporary emergency measure where they expand the roster by two spots so teams have extra relievers. Maybe for the first two weeks of the season.
I liked an old rule that ended in the 1960s that allowed teams to carry 28 players for the first 30 days of their schedule before cutting down to 25.
I liked that rule as well. I am going to assume the owners didn’t like it because three more players were receiving Major League money. I am sure with today’s salaries the owners would not be agreeable to add players to the roster for another month of the season.