SOG/GOG

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

SOG/GOG

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: Hard to find a GOG but my vote goes to Polanco for staggering under a routine fly ball so that the runner on 1B was able to tag up and go to 2B from where he scored 2 batters later. Also, his temporary visit above the Mendoza line is coming to an end as his 0 for 3 took him to .200. The "hot streak" that took him all the way up to .219 is over.

He certainly looked like anything but a major league outfielder on that flyball.  He always was a liability on defense but, with the addition of his arm like it is, it's not possible to justify having him out there. 

The question now becomes, when will he be released?  I don't see the sense in waiting until the Deadline or after the season ends.  It's completely irresponsible to continue to play him.

Yeah, I know they hope to unload him, but that now seems all but impossible. And he's due at least 3 million next year in a buyout. If they release him, he can be picked up by another team who is only responsible for the minimum salary while the Pirates pay the rest. But that would put the other team on the hook for the buyout next year. So it's possible, no team would pick him up, much less trade anything for him and his contract. At this point, he has no value and is counterproductive to winning. IMHO, the best thing the Pirates could do is release him in the hope of saving about half a million this year and 3 million next year in the unlikely event some other team would take a chance on him.

We absolutely know that the Pirates know that what you wrote is 100% true. So what are they waiting for?
WildwoodDave2

SOG/GOG

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

702630242B31212A273002252F232B2E6C21420 wrote: Hard to find a GOG but my vote goes to Polanco for staggering under a routine fly ball so that the runner on 1B was able to tag up and go to 2B from where he scored 2 batters later. Also, his temporary visit above the Mendoza line is coming to an end as his 0 for 3 took him to .200. The "hot streak" that took him all the way up to .219 is over.

He certainly looked like anything but a major league outfielder on that flyball.  He always was a liability on defense but, with the addition of his arm like it is, it's not possible to justify having him out there. 

The question now becomes, when will he be released?  I don't see the sense in waiting until the Deadline or after the season ends.  It's completely irresponsible to continue to play him.

Yeah, I know they hope to unload him, but that now seems all but impossible. And he's due at least 3 million next year in a buyout. If they release him, he can be picked up by another team who is only responsible for the minimum salary while the Pirates pay the rest. But that would put the other team on the hook for the buyout next year. So it's possible, no team would pick him up, much less trade anything for him and his contract. At this point, he has no value and is counterproductive to winning. IMHO, the best thing the Pirates could do is release him in the hope of saving about half a million this year and 3 million next year in the unlikely event some other team would take a chance on him.

We absolutely know that the Pirates know that what you wrote is 100% true.  So what are they waiting for?
They are waiting for Shedman to give his approval
2drfischer@gmail.c

SOG/GOG

5E787F6A636F786E660D0 wrote: It's completely irresponsible to continue to play him.

I'd agree IF another outfielder showed they were any better hitting, catching, or throwing.

Tom, Alford, Fowler have been given those golden opportunities called, "let the young guys play" but they can't even seize the bull by one horn.  As bad as Polanco is, and as much as we all want him gone, he's BETTER than the clowns they have tried to audition to be his replacements. Add to that, Evans shine has worn off. He's not hitting anymore, and he's awful in LF.

Pure and simple, if they want to improve the OF, they'll have to do it differently. This all stands on Hayes return.

Hayes to third

Gonzalez to short

Newman to second

Adam Frazier to the OF

You guys keep forgetting those "young guys" haven't even played a game in over a year. That's why we're not seeing them. The minors will be opening up, and soon those guys will get steady hacks. They too have a shot to prove they want a ML job. If they start out scuffling, no point in bringing them up.

Just my two cents.  Until someone proves they want a major league contract, Polanco is staying. I thought it had everything to do with money. Now it's obvious, as bad as he is, he is the third best OF they have right now.,

I don't disagree but I find it hard to believe there isn't one outfielder on another organization's major league or Triple A roster who can't be acquired. The Pirates don't have to trade Polanco to get that player. They can trade anyone.

They've tried to replace Polanco with players no one wanted (Alford, Fowler, Tom). But trading someone like Adam Frazier or Eric Gonzalez, who can at least be replaced with someone competent, can fill the biggest whole the team has.
2drfischer@gmail.c

SOG/GOG

043A3F37243C3C371732253661530 wrote: Hard to find a GOG but my vote goes to Polanco for staggering under a routine fly ball so that the runner on 1B was able to tag up and go to 2B from where he scored 2 batters later. Also, his temporary visit above the Mendoza line is coming to an end as his 0 for 3 took him to .200. The "hot streak" that took him all the way up to .219 is over.

We absolutely know that the Pirates know that what you wrote is 100% true.  So what are they waiting for?

He's been too busy building his fantasy team.
WildwoodDave2

SOG/GOG

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

510711050A10000B061123040E020A0F4D00630 wrote: Hard to find a GOG but my vote goes to Polanco for staggering under a routine fly ball so that the runner on 1B was able to tag up and go to 2B from where he scored 2 batters later. Also, his temporary visit above the Mendoza line is coming to an end as his 0 for 3 took him to .200. The "hot streak" that took him all the way up to .219 is over.

He's been too busy building his fantasy team.

:D :D ;D
shedman

SOG/GOG

Post by shedman »

My vote for GOG goes to Andersen

The current count is:

Andersen - 1

The standings are:

SOG

Anderson 2.5

Brubaker - 2

Keller - 2