Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BellevueBuc

Off Season Thread

Post by BellevueBuc »

Noah Syndergaard signs with the Dodgers for one year $21M.
Ecbucs

Off Season Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

0A2D24242D3E3D2D0A3D2B480 wrote: Noah Syndergaard signs with the Dodgers for one year $21M.

Bucs outbid again. I think he signed with Angels rather than Dodgers.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

6B4D4C5B4D5D2E0 wrote: Noah Syndergaard signs with the Dodgers for one year $21M.

Bucs outbid again.  I think he signed with Angels rather than Dodgers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox-NkyEFTmo" style="border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%">
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Holy smokes! He gains $3 million, but has to move and change leagues- for what could be four months, anyway.

Been hurt, so I don't blame the Mets for holding at the QO.

He now enters the graveyard for veteran FAs known as the LA Angels of Anaheim, who have a longtime need for pitching. Hope he comes out alive.
ChillinStation

Off Season Thread

Post by ChillinStation »

Berrios was a solid sign by Toronto and it didnt break the bank .Bucs should be looking for a #1 starter like that.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0C2726232326211C3B2E3B2620214F0 wrote: Berrios was a solid sign by Toronto and it didnt break the bank .Bucs should be looking for a #1 starter like that.

I agree a deal like that for a true staff ace shouldn’t break the bank for a major league club. But the reality is that Bob Nutting will never spend $20 million a year for any player, especially a pitcher whose next throw could be his last. He’ll never believe any player is worth that expenditure.

Unless the owners and players agree to new guidelines on how payrolls are established in order to create equity among the franchises, or the Pirates come under new ownership, what we’ve seen over the past 20+ years under Nutting’s ownership with regard to spending will continue. He has no reason to change and, once more, we Pirates fans are disregarded, ignored, and dismissed.

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm not going to judge Nutting by what I wish that he was doing.  I'll judge him by what he is actually trying to do.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

257365717E64747F726557707A767E7B3974170 wrote: Berrios was a solid sign by Toronto and it didnt break the bank .Bucs should be looking for a #1 starter like that.

I agree a deal like that for a true staff ace shouldn’t break the bank for a major league club.  But the reality is that Bob Nutting will never spend $20 million a year for any player, especially a pitcher whose next throw could be his last.  He’ll never believe any player is worth that expenditure.

Unless the owners and players agree to new guidelines on how payrolls are established in order to create equity among the franchises, or the Pirates come under new ownership, what we’ve seen over the past 20+ years under Nutting’s ownership with regard to spending will continue.  He has no reason to change and, once more, we Pirates fans are disregarded, ignored, and dismissed.

Do you mean that Nutting doesn"t have that fantasy of hoisting the World Series Trophy on National TV? :D
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Showing the trophies for the Bradenton Marauders, Greensboro Grasshoppers, Altoona Curve, and Indianapolis Somethings- in the same season- on local Pittsburgh television. That is his fantasy.
mouse

Off Season Thread

Post by mouse »

The problem with Nutting as an owner is that he runs the operation like a business while we all want an owner who has personal ego invested in how the team does. He simply is not going to overspend his budget, even though it might result in the team winning. I watched Mike Illich who owned the Tigers spend and spend. When he died, and his personal representatives, trustees, whatever, took over, their fiduciary duty squelched that spending and the Tigers fell to Pirate level. It's almost always better to have a rich ego-maniac as owner.