52 days till first Spring Training game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Four days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 4:

Lee Handley, Pep Young, Stu Martin, Huck Geary, Xavier Rescigno, Al Rubeling, Bill Rodgers, Jack Saltzgaver, Billy Cox, Ralph Kiner, Sid Gordon, Bob Skinner, Rex Johnston, Jerry May, Bill Virdon, George Brunet, Charlie Sands, Jim Campanis, Dale Berra, Mike Brown, Mike LaValliere.

Best player to wear number 4: Ralph Kiner. Honorable mention: Bob Skinner.

The Pirates retired number 4 in honor of Ralph Kiner on September 19th, 1987. Kiner was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1975. Kiner debuted in 1946 at age 23, and led the NL in HR's that season, and would lead both leagues the next six years after that. He had the highest career HR total in MLB history after a player's third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth seasons. Clearly on a path to be the all time HR leader, he injured his back and had to retire early at age 32. Of course, we all know the famous line by Branch Rickey, who told Kiner when he traded him to the Cubs, "We finished last with you, we can finish last without you." Kiner of course is not only a hero and icon in Pittsburgh, but also for the New York Mets, where he had a long and cherished broadcast career.

Bob Skinner put up a solid 15.4 WAR as a member of the Pirates for nine seasons. He was a three time All Star, including the Bucs 1960 World Series victory year. He received MVP votes twice as a Buc. Skinner is still with us at age 91.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6A4C4B5E575B4C5A52390 wrote: Four days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 4:

Lee Handley, Pep Young, Stu Martin, Huck Geary, Xavier Rescigno, Al Rubeling, Bill Rodgers, Jack Saltzgaver, Billy Cox, Ralph Kiner, Sid Gordon, Bob Skinner, Rex Johnston, Jerry May, Bill Virdon, George Brunet, Charlie Sands, Jim Campanis, Dale Berra, Mike Brown, Mike LaValliere.

Best player to wear number 4:  Ralph Kiner. Honorable mention: Bob Skinner.

The Pirates retired number 4 in honor of Ralph Kiner on September 19th, 1987. Kiner was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1975. Kiner debuted in 1946 at age 23, and led the NL in HR's that season, and would lead both leagues the next six years after that. He had the highest career HR total in MLB history after a player's third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth seasons. Clearly on a path to be the all time HR leader, he injured his back and had to retire early at age 32. Of course, we all know the famous line by Branch Rickey, who told Kiner when he traded him to the Cubs, "We finished last with you, we can finish last without you." Kiner of course is not only a hero and icon in Pittsburgh, but also for the New York Mets, where he had a long and cherished broadcast career.

Bob Skinner put up a solid 15.4 WAR as a member of the Pirates for nine seasons. He was a three time All Star, including the Bucs 1960 World Series victory year. He received MVP votes twice as a Buc. Skinner is still with us at age 91.

Skinner was a really solid player for the Pirates. I didn't appreciate him as much then as I would if he were playing today. He didn't hit for power like one would expect a guy his size to do, but he had some nice, high-average seasons that made him a good contributor.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Three days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 3:

Elbie Fletcher, Al Gionfriddo, Johnny Riddle, Eddie Bockman, Dale Coogan, Bob Dillinger, Clyde McCullough, Joe Garagiola, Bob Skinner, George Freese, Dale Long, Dee Fondy, Ted Kluszewski, R.C. Stevens, Bob Bailey, Orlando McFarlane, Jim Pagliaroni, Bob Robertson, Ron Davis, Richie Hebner, Phil Garner, Johnny Ray, U.L. Washington, Ruben Rodriguez, Jay Bell, Shawon Dunston, Chad Hermansen, Pokey Reese, Chris Stynes, Rob Mackowiak, Jeromy Burnitz, Cesar Izturis, Nyjer Morgan, Akinori Iwamura, Pedro Ciriaco, Chase d'Arnaud, Travis Ishikawa, Michael Martinez, Sean Rodriguez, Cole Tucker.

Best player to wear number 3: Jay Bell. Honorable mention: Elbie Fletcher, Richie Hebner, Phil Garner, Johnny Ray.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Just when I thought some of the previous numbers were tough to choose, number three was the closest. Elbie Fletcher had the highest Pirates career WAR, and received MVP votes and was an All Star.

Richie Hebner of course was a main cog in the Pirates early 1970's success and dominance of the NL East. Phil Garner of course was a huge part of the 1979 Fam-a-lee team.

Who could forget taking in a game at Three Rivers and not remembering the giant "Hoo-Ray for Johnny" banner? All of these guys had post season accolades.

Jay Bell was just a nudge under WAR against Fletcher, but with the three division winning teams, gold gloves, silver slugger, MVP votes, and an All Star tipped the scales in favor of Bell for me. What a great group number 3 had representing.
Javy

Post by Javy »

55737461686473656D060 wrote: Just when I thought some of the previous numbers were tough to choose, number three was the closest. Elbie Fletcher had the highest Pirates career WAR, and received MVP votes and was an All Star.

Richie Hebner of course was a main cog in the Pirates early 1970's success and dominance of the NL East. Phil Garner of course was a huge part of the 1979 Fam-a-lee team.

Who could forget taking in a game at Three Rivers and not remembering the giant "Hoo-Ray for Johnny" banner? All of these guys had post season accolades.

Jay Bell was just a nudge under WAR against Fletcher, but with the three division winning teams, gold gloves, silver slugger, MVP votes, and an All Star tipped the scales in favor of Bell for me. What a great group number 3 had representing.
Sure was a tough choice Surg. Sure seems that you made a good one with Bell. As much as I loved Garner, I would have a hard time choosing between Bell and the Gravedigger.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5B706768110 wrote: Just when I thought some of the previous numbers were tough to choose, number three was the closest. Elbie Fletcher had the highest Pirates career WAR, and received MVP votes and was an All Star.

Sure was a tough choice Surg. Sure seems that you made a good one with Bell. As much as I loved Garner, I would have a hard time choosing between Bell and the Gravedigger.
I agree with the Bell choice. Not only was he productive but he was rarely out of the lineup, whereas Hebner often platooned with Pagan. Garner was a very valuable player but only had 4+ seasons as a Pirate. Johnny Ray was also very good but it's harder to judge his value since the team didn't have much success during his tenure.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Two days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 2:

Ripper Collins, Tony Ordenana, Hank Camelli, Jimmy Brown, Jimmy Bloodworth, Al Lyons, Bill Salkeld, Les Fleming, Hank Schenz, Joe Garagiola, Dale Long, Harry Simpson, Bill Oldis, Don Leppert, Elmo Plaskett, Ted Savage, Dave Wissman, Hal Smith, Chuck Hiller, Freddie Patek, Jackie Hernandez, Gary Hargis, Bernie Carbo, Vance Law, Jim Morrison, Mackey Sasser, Orestes Destrade, Gary Redus, Angelo Encarnacion, Kevin Polcovich, Pat Meares, Jack Wilson, Bobby Crosby, Brandon Wood, Brock Holt, Nate McLouth, Brandon Inge, Marlon Byrd, Erik Gonzalez, Taylor Davis, Michael Chavis.

Best player to wear number 2: Jack Wilson.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

One day until the First Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 1:

Bill Baker, Bill Salkeld, Dixie Howell. No one qualified to be the best to wear number 1.

Number 1 was retired in 1954 honor of Billy Meyer. In 1948, his first season as manager and working for a newer ownership group including Bing Crosby, the Pirates showed a 21 game improvement, Meyer was the Sporting News Manager of the Year, and the Pirates led the league in attendance. Meyer would resign after 1952, a 112 loss season that was the second worse in Pirates history, as Branch Rickey basically fielded a minor league team, dumping all veterans. His record with the Bucs was 317-452. Why his number was retired remains somewhat a matter of conjecture. He died two years after having his number retired.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

And with that folks, I'm on my way to Indiana, and hope to see some actual talk about baseball games and such, as much as we can see or hear.

Let's Go Bucs! I'm so excited!!!!!

The the the the the that's all folks.
mouse

Post by mouse »

No, no , Surgnbuck - the games are in Florida . . . ;)