The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

28232B272223387D7B0C352D242323622F234C0 wrote: Arroyo was pretty bad as a Pirate.  He did end up with a few good years.  I have no idea how he has lasted 16 years in the majors.  He has made over $95 million too.
Yeah, he was only with the Bucs briefly and wasn't very impressive. He also hadn't put up particularly impressive minor league numbers. I'm surprised he won as many games as he has. Must've had good run support. Only 5 full seasons with ERAs under 4 and only once under 3.74. Mainly he's been an innings eater with 9 seasons with 199 IP or more. Good control. He would have been better than a lot of pitchers the Pirates used since Arroyo was waived. But I doubt he would have won as many games as a Pirate. In his years with Boston (2004-5) and Cincinnati (2006-2013) his teams were always better than the Pirates except for 2013.
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

On the other hand, considering where the Pirates were in 2003 just waivering him away probably wasn't the best idea either.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

02303C3C281A39303D383730510 wrote:

On the other hand, considering where the Pirates were in 2003 just waivering him away probably wasn't the best idea either.
Ironically, they waived him after his only truly good season in AAA (2.96 ERA, 1.077 WHIP) at age 26. But since that was Dave Littlefield I guess it wasn't too ironic. Actually, DL was trying to slip him thru waivers to open a spot on the 40-man roster. They signed LHP Denny Reyes a few days later. Probably thought no one would claim Arroyo and he would go back to AAA as insurance. That was the same winter DL traded Chris Young for RHP Matt Hergis, watched Hergis pitch well in ST and then released him a few days before the opener to keep Reyes. DL explained that they needed a LHP in the pen. Maybe he forgot to ask if Hergis was L or R before trading Young for him. Reyes lasted 12 games before being released with a 10.45 ERA. 
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Littlefield really hurt the Pirates. He is the main reason why it took Huntington longer to rebuild. The farm was bare when Huntington took over. Littlefield was a bad General Manager.

I hated that Chris Young trade at the time.
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

JEANMAR dfa by Phils
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Meanwhile, fellow Astros righty Charlie Morton is scheduled for a short rehab outing tonight, as Kaplan further writes. The hope is that he’ll be ready to make it back to the MLB hill before the All-Star break. Morton has been quite a pleasant surprise, despite the time missed for a lat strain. He has not only provided 57 2/3 solid innings, posting a 4.06 ERA, but has shown the promise of delivering even better results. Morton is sitting in the mid-nineties with his fastball while carrying 10.1 K/9, both of which dwarf his prior full-season marks.
Jerseykc

The Departed

Post by Jerseykc »

Brandon Moss, still swinging, now with the KC Royals
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

Royals DFA Chris Young and add Neftali Feliz.
DemDog

The Departed

Post by DemDog »

Blue Jays DFA Jason Grilli
Jerseykc

The Departed

Post by Jerseykc »

48696148636B0C0 wrote: Blue Jays DFA Jason Grilli

Nice guy but he has been throwing BP all season. Doubt anyone will pick him up but Neil raised an eyebrow at the possibility.