52 days till first Spring Training game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Robertson could also get a point for his mad dash to first on the last day of the 1974 season. Robertson struck out to end the game, but a passed ball allowed him the the chance to waddle on his nonexistent knees to first. The catcher's throw eventually bounced off him and headed to the outfield as the tying run scored. The Pirates scored in the tenth to win and clinch the division.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

597F786D64687F69610A0 wrote: Number 7 was the most difficult so far to determine "best" to wear the number. Stuart, Bailey, Robertson, and King were very similar in WAR. So, I decided to whittle it down to the two World Series victors. I went with Robertson based upon how well known his "missed bunt sign" HR is part of Pirates lore.

Bailey had a fine career primarily with the Pirates and Expos. Danny Murtaugh had one stellar season as a Buc, but I gave him extra credit for serving in WWII. Jeff King was a solid player, probably saddled with the too much expectation as a number one pick. His best seasons with the Pirates came after the 90-92 division winning teams. Dick Stuart is one of those guys from the 1960 team my mom and uncle used to talk about (well actually that whole dang team) so the guys from the 60 Pirates, I almost feel as if I actually remembered watching them play hearing so much about them.
I'd have to give the edge to Stuart despite his defensive shortcomings. Robertson only had 2 good seasons (1970, '71). Stuart had 4 good years for the Pirates (1958-61) and his best season (1961) was better than Robertson's best (1970). OTOH, Robertson was a real stud (6 HRs) in the 1971 post season and Stuart was a non-factor in the 1960 WS and was benched in game 7. But for their overall performance as Pirates, I'd give the nod to Stuart. Jeff King was a solid player but never really put it all together until his final 2 years with the Bucs (1995, '96).
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Six days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 6:

Lee Handley, Pep Young, Ed Leip, Billy Cox, Stan Rojek, Rocky Nelson, Dick Smith, Lee Walls, Mike Sandlock, Johnny O'Brien, Dick Schofield, Smoky Burgess, George Kopacz, Bob Robertson, Rennie Stennett, Tony Pena, Rafael Belliard, Orlando Merced, Lou Collier, Mike Benjamin, Abraham Nunez, Alfredo Amezaga, Chris Duffy, Robinzon Diaz, Jeff Clement, Starling Marte, Jarrod Dyson, Anthony Alford, Yu Chang, Zack Collins.

Best player to wear number 6: Starling Marte. Honorable mention: Smoky Burgess, Rennie Stennett, Tony Pena, Orlando Merced.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Another tough choice between Burgess, Pena, and Marte. I went strictly by WAR, all of them were indeed top notch Pirates. Of course, Stennett and Merced had huge contributions as Bucs in their day too, and certainly not forgotten.
Javy

Post by Javy »

765057424B4750464E250 wrote: Another tough choice between Burgess, Pena, and Marte. I went strictly by WAR, all of them were indeed top notch Pirates. Of course, Stennett and Merced had huge contributions as Bucs in their day too, and certainly not forgotten.
All worthy of consideration. I can understand Marte, especially as he is the most recent stalwart to wear number 6.

My heart leads me to consider Stennett over Marte however. I firmly believe had Rennie not shattered his ankle, there would have been considerably less doubt, but I suppose we'll never know.

Great logic to your choices all through this process Surg!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4D6B6C79707C6B7D751E0 wrote: Another tough choice between Burgess, Pena, and Marte. I went strictly by WAR, all of them were indeed top notch Pirates. Of course, Stennett and Merced had huge contributions as Bucs in their day too, and certainly not forgotten.
I think I have to agree with Marte. Pena was a superb catcher and a good hitter. Burgess was not too good defensively but was a key part of a WS winning team. He was acquired in 1959 because Hank Foiles had provided little offense from that position. In 1960 the catchng platoon of Burgess (primary) and Hal Smith was one of the Pirates' strongest offensive positions. Burgess was one of the top hitting catchers in MLB and a 6 time All-Star. And while not known as a great catcher, he was the primary catcher for Vern Law's CY season while Bob Friend had almost identical stats. And in 1960 he threw out 50% of attempted base stealers. However, given Marte's body of work, I give him the nod over Burgess by a gnat's eyelash.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Five days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 5:

Oad Swigert, Elbie Fletcher, Pete Coscarart, Hank Greenberg, Ed Stevens, Jack Phillips, Tony Bartirome, Dick Hall, Preston Ward, Buddy Pritchard, Hal Smith, Howie Goss, Larry Elliot, Orlando McFarlane, Dave Ricketts, Mike Ryan, Duffy Dyer, Bill Madlock, Sid Bream, Jose Gonzalez, Alex Cole, Lance Parrish, Jacob Brumfield, Tony Womack, Ed Sprague, Tike Redman, Joe Randa, Josh Phelps, Chris Gomez, Ramon Vazquez, Ronny Cedeno, Josh Harrison, Guillermo Heredia, Michael Perez, Kevin Padlo.

Best player to wear number 5: Bill Madlock. Honorable mention: Sid Bream, Josh Harrison.
Javy

Post by Javy »

537572676E6275636B000 wrote: Five days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 5:

Oad Swigert, Elbie Fletcher, Pete Coscarart, Hank Greenberg, Ed Stevens, Jack Phillips, Tony Bartirome, Dick Hall, Preston Ward, Buddy Pritchard, Hal Smith, Howie Goss, Larry Elliot, Orlando McFarlane, Dave Ricketts, Mike Ryan, Duffy Dyer, Bill Madlock, Sid Bream, Jose Gonzalez, Alex Cole, Lance Parrish, Jacob Brumfield, Tony Womack, Ed Sprague, Tike Redman, Joe Randa, Josh Phelps, Chris Gomez, Ramon Vazquez, Ronny Cedeno, Josh Harrison, Guillermo Heredia, Michael Perez, Kevin Padlo.

Best player to wear number 5: Bill Madlock. Honorable mention: Sid Bream, Josh Harrison.
Strong choice there with Mad Dog. I was sitting behind home plate at Veterans Stadium the night he got into his infamous face to face with ( I think) Jerry Crawford(?) that got him suspended. No trouble hearing what they were saying! Some pretty strong language from both of them. I guess jerry's Dad's influence kept him from getting in trouble. His face was as red as a fire truck.

Tony Bartirome was special in a big way as well, although it wasn't as a player. Long time trainer and positive thinking team influencer who left the Bucs to coach for the Braves when Chuck Tanner went there
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

321413060F0314020A610 wrote: Five days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 5:

Good choices, Surge. Madlock's short swing made me think of him as a right handed version of Al Oliver. And let's give a mention to Hal Smith, whose three-run homer in the seventh game in 1960 was momentous.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Certainly a mention to Hal Smith. I thought that game was over until he hit that home run. I was in high school health class at the time and had something sneaky called a "transistor radio." What an invention, what a home run!