Let the rumor mill begin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SyrBucco »

Just want to say that I see no reason why we should go after another right-handed reliever. We have plenty. What we don't have is a lefty in our rotation, and we also need another lefty in our bullpen. Come on Neal, go trade for one!
pghpaulatl

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by pghpaulatl »

Agree, need LHP's in rotation and BP, but I doubt anything will be done in a big way. Maybe the two Texas relievers they're connected to, but I'd bet nothing more than that.
CarolinaBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by CarolinaBucco »

That's why I wanted Happ. We need lefties ... especially a starter.

At this point I'd like Archer or Wheeler, either would be a legit upgrade, but there's no way the Pirates are going to pull off a move of that level of significance.

I'm expecting that we end up with a journeyman reliever and a utility middle infielder. And we don't really need that ... but I'm afraid Neal is going to just do something minor so he can say he made a move(s) to improve the club (whether he really improved it or not).
maher.timothy20@gm

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

If they'd signed somebody like Jake Arietta in the offseason, we wouldn't have to be talking about trading away any prospects at all, and the payroll would still be hovering around a very manageable $100m.

But then that requires a different kind of trade: trading money. Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
rucker59@gmail.com

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

404C45485F03594440425945541F1D6D4A402D0 wrote: If they'd signed somebody like Jake Arietta in the offseason, we wouldn't have to be talking about trading away any prospects at all, and the payroll would still be hovering around a very manageable $100m.

But then that requires a different kind of trade: trading money. Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Bingo! I think the same thing every year. Use to complain about it, but just shake my head any longer.

Beyond retaining prospects lets count the ways such a move makes SO MUCH sense:

How many more wins would the Pirates have right now? We can't know, but is 4 more wins a realistic possibility? And 4 more wins would affect the playoff race, how?

How many more fans would the Pirates have drawn? 500,000 fans at $25 =$12.5M. What would the real cost of such an acquisition have been?

The wild card might not look so marginal if the Pirates had the ACE waiting to take the ball.

Instead, we'll get 1/2 the player, for 1/3 of the season, providing 1/5 the value, at a 2x the cost (considering the value of prospects). Sounds like a great way to run a Russian Nuclear Power Plant or the Pittsburgh Baseball Club.
CarolinaBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I'm not convinced Kevin Gausman is enough of an upgrade to be giving away prospects for. Is he better, or that much better, than Kingham? Maybe a little.

I personally wouldn't give up Hayes and Cruz for him. Those are the 2 names that have been mentioned. Seems high for Gausman, who is nothing all that special.

I would give up those kind of guys for Archer or Wheeler or Happ, etc... Those would have been significant upgrades.
Ecbucs

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Ecbucs »

292E38303E296E621B3C363A3237753834365B0 wrote: If they'd signed somebody like Jake Arietta in the offseason, we wouldn't have to be talking about trading away any prospects at all, and the payroll would still be hovering around a very manageable $100m.

Bingo!  I think the same thing every year.  Use to complain about it, but just shake my head any longer.

Beyond retaining prospects lets count the ways such a move makes SO MUCH sense:

How many more wins would the Pirates have right now?  We can't know, but is 4 more wins a realistic possibility?  And 4 more wins would affect the playoff race, how?

How many more fans would the Pirates have drawn?  500,000 fans at $25 =$12.5M.  What would the real cost of such an acquisition have been?

The wild card might not look so marginal if the Pirates had the ACE waiting to take the ball.

Instead, we'll get 1/2 the player, for 1/3 of the season, providing 1/5 the value, at a 2x the cost (considering the value of prospects).  Sounds like a great way to run a Russian Nuclear Power Plant or the Pittsburgh Baseball Club.

signing a free agent like this would mess up Neal's projections. Instead of 78-82 it might be 84-88 and that is just not acceptable.
Ecbucs

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Ecbucs »

32000C0C182A09000D080700610 wrote: I just posted in another thread about a guy like KeBryan Hayes and also Will Craig and what could the Pirates get back for one or both of those guys and can they or will they be used as trade chips by Neal Huntington to maybe bring back a quality veteran starting pitcher. Just wanted to get some thoughts on this??

I'm thinking that more likely one of the middle infielders or someone like Shane Baz could be dangled.  I don't know how people view Baz though

remember the big Steve Buechele deal? We traded future Tom Seaver clone Kurt Miller (and Hector Fajardo) to get him. Baz could become an all star someday and he shouldn't go for a rental. But if the Bucs think they can bring back someone who can be good for a couple years they should make the deal with Baz.
pghpaulatl

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by pghpaulatl »

Rotoworld linking us to Gausman and Givens for IF's like Hayes and Oneil Cruz.
SCBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SCBucco »

2C3B342C3D29303D28305C0 wrote: Rotoworld linking us to Gausman and Givens for IF's like Hayes and Oneil Cruz.

Way too much to give up for those two files.  We have a Gausman type in the rotation already.  He isn't really an upgrade and Givens is having a LOUSY SEASON.  That deal would go against what NH does.  Now, we have a glutton of middle infielders, so one would have to go. Hayes and O'Neil Cruz types would go in a deal for someone like Archer.