Tomorrow Is The Day To Exchange Arbitration Figures

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Since MLB has done nothing with the situation with Nutting, and the players suit against the low paying revenue sharing teams seems to have fallen on deaf ears; I wonder if the city of Pittsburgh would be willing to take action.

Force Nutting to put an average payroll into the team or sell it. If he refuses then let him move the franchise, with the city keeping the Pirates name and colors like the Browns in Cleveland did.

I’m sure MLB would get involved and at least award Pittsburgh an expansion Pirates team.

How could the city set this in motion? By using PNC Park as leverage. If Nutting invests in the team payroll at an acceptable average level then the lease remains the same. If not then the city either refuses to lease the stadium to him or jacks up the rent to make it unprofitable to run the franchise.

I know those are extreme examples but I’m so frustrated with Nutting and was just thinking out of the box. Sure wish he would have sold to Mark Cuban when Cuban was interested.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

406566667358656D6F780A0 wrote: Since MLB has done nothing with the situation with Nutting, and the players suit against the low paying revenue sharing teams seems to have fallen on deaf ears; I wonder if the city of Pittsburgh would be willing to take action.

Force Nutting to put an average payroll into the team or sell it. If he refuses then let him move the franchise, with the city keeping the Pirates name and colors like the Browns in Cleveland did.

I’m sure MLB would get involved and at least award Pittsburgh an expansion Pirates team.

How could the city set this in motion? By using PNC Park as leverage. If Nutting invests in the team payroll at an acceptable average level then the lease remains the same. If not then the city either refuses to lease the stadium to him or jacks up the rent to make it unprofitable to run the franchise.

I know those are extreme examples but I’m so frustrated with Nutting and was just thinking out of the box. Sure wish he would have sold to Mark Cuban when Cuban was interested.
I have read that the Pirates lease for PNC Park runs thru October, 2030 with a team option for 5 additional years. So the city couldn't just pull the plug on the lease.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5A7F7C7C69427F777562100 wrote: Since MLB has done nothing with the situation with Nutting, and the players suit against the low paying revenue sharing teams seems to have fallen on deaf ears; I wonder if the city of Pittsburgh would be willing to take action.

I think many of us are very frustrated with Nutting, and the handling of the Reynolds contract situation. I am just so annoyed that why he would take his best player to arbitration over such a small amount in ( baseball money ) when the total team payroll is less than $40 million. I respect the rules of Only Bucs, and I will not post what I have called him to some other people in the last few days.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

If it took Reynolds to get folks upset, I'd wonder what took so long.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: Since MLB has done nothing with the situation with Nutting, and the players suit against the low paying revenue sharing teams seems to have fallen on deaf ears; I wonder if the city of Pittsburgh would be willing to take action.

I have read that the Pirates lease for PNC Park runs thru October, 2030 with a team option for 5 additional years. So the city couldn't just pull the plug on the lease.
The city could break the lease claiming that Pirate ownership has not upheld the promise of keeping their own star players and being able to field a competitive team. That was one of the caveats when McClatchy was able to get PNC built. McClatchy did uphold his promise by signing Jason Kendall and Brian Giles to market value star contracts. Nutting extended Cutch but has kept one of if not the lowest payrolls in MLB. Of course there will be lawsuits, but it would force some action. The thought of Nutting and then his daughters controlling this team for the next decades is depressing.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

083D2A2A21182A2A21262A4F0 wrote: If it took Reynolds to get folks upset, I'd wonder what took so long.
I will admit I still had hope when Nutting fired the FO , and brought in Travis Williams and Ben C. Ben also has brought in some talented people under him to build the Organization. I would think BC with his former background is not very excited about how the Reynolds situation has been handled. What happens if he is approached by another team,do you think he will stay in Pittsburgh to finish what he started ? He will leave along with some of his other people and the Pirates are back to square one again. One can say another person will become GM, but in my estimation BC is a very smart man. Also on another note, what to you think players like Davis, Gonzales and Cruz think when they see the Pirates taking Reynolds to arbitration. I am sure they think get me out of this organization ASAP. This entire situation could have a snowball effect.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

"Leopards do not change spots overnight."

When they do, it takes years.

I doubt that THIS leopard is changing spots, period. Look at his other businesses.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

575B5A0108010904031C06310 wrote: If it took Reynolds to get folks upset, I'd wonder what took so long.
I will admit I still had hope when Nutting fired the FO , and brought in Travis Williams and Ben C. Ben also has brought in some talented people under him to build the Organization. I would think BC with his former background is not very excited about how the Reynolds situation has been handled. What happens if he is approached by another team,do you think he will stay in Pittsburgh to finish what he started ? He will leave along with some of his other people and the Pirates are back to square one again. One can say another person will become GM, but in my estimation BC is a very smart man. Also on another note, what to you think players like Davis, Gonzales and Cruz think when they see the Pirates taking Reynolds to arbitration. I am sure they think get me out of this organization ASAP. This entire situation could have a snowball effect. 
I was thinking about that too. What do Williams and Cherington think when they see first hand evidence of Nutting being unreasonably cheap? Have they talked to him about it and the message it sends Reynolds and the entire team over a relatively insignificant (in MLB terms) amount? Did they try but he refused to listen? They must be thinking this doesn't bode well for the team's future regardless of how much effort is put into improving the roster.

Also, the amount being haggled over is so small in MLB terms that it's hard to imagine the arbitors not giving a standout player like Reynolds the larger amount. So chances are Nutting will end up paying it anyway but is willing to alienate his star player and demonstrate to the rest team that he will do the same to them if he can, just in case there's a chance the arbitors will grant the lower amount, as little difference as that even makes.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Players have agents. Agents know how the Pirates operate. Odds are that every Pirates player understand their employer. If they don't, that's on them.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

162334343F0634343F3834510 wrote: Players have agents.  Agents know how the Pirates operate.  Odds are that every Pirates player understand their employer.  If they don't, that's on them.
Players don't choose to go to the Pirates unless they are trying to revive their careers after injuries or declining play. And if they succeed, they generally don't stay with the Pirates for long. Others get drafted and don't have a choice. And they get out when they can. So playing for Nutting is a necessary evil along the road to what they hope will eventually become a better career.