Predict the 28 man roster for next Thursday

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

674B43444F685F49592A0 wrote: The signing of VanMeter looks even more ridiculous now.   The current active roster features 1 catcher, 9 infielders, and 3 outfielders, one of whom, Allen, is going on the DL. 

With both VanMeter (not announced, but I assume that he will) and Castillo making the team, Park could be headed to the minors unless the Pirates plan to regularly use him in the Of. 

Unless VanMeter can suddenly master the craft (with no experience) of being the back-up catcher, this move by BC continues to baffle me.

Perhaps one of these guys is going to be dealt for a back up catcher. I'm sure some teams are cutting some backups that could fit in with the Bucs.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Catcher Andrew Knapp signed today. See post above.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

604647504656250 wrote: The signing of VanMeter looks even more ridiculous now.   The current active roster features 1 catcher, 9 infielders, and 3 outfielders, one of whom, Allen, is going on the DL. 

With both VanMeter (not announced, but I assume that he will) and Castillo making the team, Park could be headed to the minors unless the Pirates plan to regularly use him in the Of. 

Unless VanMeter can suddenly master the craft (with no experience) of being the back-up catcher, this move by BC continues to baffle me.

Perhaps one of these guys is going to be dealt for a back up catcher.  I'm sure some teams are cutting some backups that could fit in with the Bucs.
At my count if Allen goes on the DL they still need to add another position player even after signing Knapp this afternoon.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

64424550595542545C370 wrote: Not a contest, just looking to see what people are looking at. Not sure if many are TBH. There will be 28, no limit on pitchers.

Here's what I think:

Pitchers (14)- Banda, Bednar, Brubaker, Crowe, Hembree, Howard, Keller, Peters, Quintana, Stratton, Thompson, Underwood, Wilson and Jared Eickhoff will be added from the non roster invite list.

Position players (14) R. Perez, M. Perez, Tsutsugo, Vogelbach, Hayes, Chavis, Tucker, Park, Newman, Castillo, Reynolds, Gamel, Allen, VanMeter
I think I hit it pretty close. Had Eickhoff and M. Perez wrong. Howard and Allen on the injured list. Picked up the new catcher today, I'm guessing someone goes to the 60 day IL to make room on the 40 for him. I'm betting with the pickup of VanMeter, Greg Allen is injured worse then we hoped, he looked really good this spring, that hamstring probably lands him a long stint. Yajure and Fletcher make the team for the pitchers.

Interesting with all the middle infielders. Tucker and VanMeter probably used more to round out the outfield than the infield. Between Tucker, Newman, and Chavis there's a group that needs to show they have it figured out because IMHO those are the three most on thin ice. They have been given all the chances in the world. If Park and Castillo continue to shine, they may just shove those guys to the side permanently, especially with Cruz on the horizon.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

After the spring Madris had, as well as a year of AAA under his belt, it's hard to understand him being cut when injuries to Allen and Alford left them with 2 OFers: Reynolds and Gamel. So the 3rd OFer has to be among infielders Tsutsugo, Tucker, Chavis, Park, Castillo or VanMeter. Very strange roster management.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1B363B2A2D3C2B6B68590 wrote: After the spring Madris had, as well as a year of AAA under his belt, it's hard to understand him being cut when injuries to Allen and Alford left them with 2 OFers: Reynolds and Gamel. So the 3rd OFer has to be among infielders Tsutsugo, Tucker, Chavis, Park, Castillo or VanMeter. [highlight]Very strange roster management.[/highlight]

I know the new CBA calls for a draft lottery in 2023 but is it fair to ask if the Front Office's objective is to lose big again this year to improve their chances in the lottery?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

015741555A40505B564173545E525A5F1D50330 wrote: After the spring Madris had, as well as a year of AAA under his belt, it's hard to understand him being cut when injuries to Allen and Alford left them with 2 OFers: Reynolds and Gamel. So the 3rd OFer has to be among infielders Tsutsugo, Tucker, Chavis, Park, Castillo or VanMeter. [highlight]Very strange roster management.[/highlight]

I know the new CBA calls for a draft lottery in 2023 but is it fair to ask if the Front Office's objective is to lose big again this year to improve their chances in the lottery?
I don't think they were trying to lose big last year. They are pretty consistent in their lack of spending every year and you get what you pay for. Nutting didn't refuse to spend in order to tank. Refusing to spend is normal for him. The pitching last year was pathetic. But good pitchers cost a lot of money so acquiring them is not part of the process. As for hitting last year, they thought Polanco would bounce back. Newman had an awesome spring. Frazier (until dealt) and Reynolds were outstanding. They expected more from Hayes and Moran. But the hitters underperformed and the pitching was never there to begin with.

This year--like every year--they refuse to spend to add impact players to fill needs. It should be a transition year with prospects taking on bigger roles. It remains to be seen if any of the pitchers who took their lumps last year will be any better this year. I think the club hopes they will and doesn't want them to be awful again for the purpose of tanking. But when a team refuses to spend to acquire better talent, all that's left is hoping the sucky players improve.

If they wanted to tank, I doubt they feel adding Madris to the roster would significantly hinder that plan. As fans, I think it's sometimes easier on us to believe the reason they are so bad is because they were tanking. Because that implies they could have done better if they had wanted. It's a scary thought that they really are this bad if they aren't trying to be bad. But without spending for talent, the only alternative is to develop young talent from within. Last year Hayes and Keller were supposed to be the prospects who took a big leap forward. It didn't happen. There are now some good prospects in the pipeline very close to reaching MLB. It's a slow process with no guarantee of success but the Pirates refuse to do it any other way. So I don't believe it's tanking.

As for Madris, maybe the Pirates think he's better than they had realized and want to manipulate his service time as they are doing with Cruz. I can't think of any other reason to leave him off the roster when they are in need of OFers.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Some serious knee jerk reactions about the OF. Tucker can play well, I'd rather him then Alford any day. VanMeter is a stopgap, same kind of move many teams do. Allen really showed some talent, so let's let him heal up.

The OF is miles better than last season whether it's Yoshi, VanMeter, Tucker, or Park out there.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

232F2E757C757D70776872450 wrote: Greg Allen is going on the DL. Not yet determined if it is 10 day or 60 day DL.
I would imagine that the hamstring would keep him out longe. than10 days.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

072A27363120377774450 wrote: After the spring Madris had, as well as a year of AAA under his belt, it's hard to understand him being cut when injuries to Allen and Alford left them with 2 OFers: Reynolds and Gamel. So the 3rd OFer has to be among infielders Tsutsugo, Tucker, Chavis, Park, Castillo or VanMeter. [highlight]Very strange roster management.[/highlight]

I don't think they were trying to lose big last year. They are pretty consistent in their lack of spending every year and you get what you pay for. Nutting didn't refuse to spend in order to tank. Refusing to spend is normal for him. The pitching last year was pathetic. But good pitchers cost a lot of money so acquiring them is not part of the process. As for hitting last year, they thought Polanco would bounce back. Newman had an awesome spring. Frazier (until dealt) and Reynolds were outstanding. They expected more from Hayes and Moran. But the hitters underperformed and the pitching was never there to begin with.

This year--like every year--they refuse to spend to add impact players to fill needs. It should be a transition year with prospects taking on bigger roles. It remains to be seen if any of the pitchers who took their lumps last year will be any better this year. I think the club hopes they will and doesn't want them to be awful again for the purpose of tanking. But when a team refuses to spend to acquire better talent, all that's left is hoping the sucky players improve.

If they wanted to tank, I doubt they feel adding Madris to the roster would significantly hinder that plan. As fans, I think it's sometimes easier on us to believe the reason they are so bad is because they were tanking. Because that implies they could have done better if they had wanted. It's a scary thought that they really are this bad if they aren't trying to be bad. But without spending for talent, the only alternative is to develop young talent from within. Last year Hayes and Keller were supposed to be the prospects who took a big leap forward. It didn't happen. There are now some good prospects in the pipeline very close to reaching MLB. It's a slow process with no guarantee of success but the Pirates refuse to do it any other way. So I don't believe it's tanking.

As for Madris, maybe the Pirates think he's better than they had realized and want to manipulate his service time as they are doing with Cruz. I can't think of any other reason to leave him off the roster when they are in need of OFers.   

I would never believe the players would intentionally lose. They’re major leaguers and they’re absolutely doing what they can to win because they’re among the most competitive people found anywhere. But I do think the Front Office can make it more difficult for the players to succeed by who they sign or trade away, and who they send back and forth from the minor leagues. That’s what I was thinking about when I highlighted and responded to “roster management”.