4/24 Game Thread - Bucs @ Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5E787F6A636F786E660D0 wrote: Enjoying the start. Liked how the staff was used today.

BEAT EM BUCS!!!
They're simply going the Tampa route. This is probably their best way to go. Only problem is if the starter gets crushed early, he can kill the entire bullpen for a series.

I think when Contreras comes back, and Quintana getting stretched out, we are looking at possibly 2 guys to get us consistent 5-6 a start.

Really need Reynolds and Yoshi to pull their heads out of their asses though. I know Yoshi has a bunch of RBI, but he has left a lot of meat on the bone this season so far, and shown none of the power from last year. If those two get going, this team will score some runs
Outside of his HR, Chavis had a tough series
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't find a lot about Shelton that I like but he deserves a lot of credit today. Once again, the BP was outstanding. The announcers speculated that he may have had to go to the BP earlier than he wanted to as Brubaker may have been ill. And Shelton's defensive moves in the 9th saved the game. Reynolds went from DH to CF and Marisnick moved from CF to RF while Castillo went from RF to 2B. Marisnick saved the game in RF and I doubt Castillo could have made the plays in RF that Marisnick made.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7572646C6275323E47606A666E6B2964686A070 wrote: Crowe with outstanding work in the 7th.

Can’t say enough about the pen. 
Raise it!

Bucs are back at 500

Take 3 out of four from the Cubs

First series win in Chicago since 2018

All that fuss about yesterday"s loss 21-0

Those 21 runs don't mean a dam thing today
They will to the grump crowd.....we'll hear about that ad nauseum over the years.

Marisnick, what a stud! Marisnick 2 plays in OF> 21-0

Agreed.  Outstanding play. 

Ben’s cheap additions proving he knows a bit about baseball. 

This is a different team.  I’ve got no problem if the “crowd” on here would rather yuk up every error and complain about every move and run down the manager who’s growing.  I watching a team come together and having fun again for the first time in about 5 years. 

The Brewers may sweep again.  Won’t change what is right in front of my eyes. 

Whenever Ben C. was hired I believed he knew a bit about baseball. He has hired some very good individuals under him as well. So far this has been an enjoyable season. The bullpen has been fantastic. We do need to get a little length from our starting pitchers to save the bullpen guys.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

070B0A5158515954534C56610 wrote: Crowe with outstanding work in the 7th.

Raise it!

Bucs are back at 500

They will to the grump crowd.....we'll hear about that ad nauseum over the years.

This is a different team.  I’ve got no problem if the “crowd” on here would rather yuk up every error and complain about every move and run down the manager who’s growing.  I watching a team come together and having fun again for the first time in about 5 years. 

Whenever Ben C. was hired I believed he knew a bit about baseball.  He has hired some very good individuals under him as well. So far this has been an enjoyable season. The bullpen has been fantastic. We do need to get a little length from our starting pitchers to save the bullpen guys.
Especially when teams go back to the 25 man Roster
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

714F4A42514949426247504314260 wrote: Crowe with outstanding work in the 7th.

Raise it!

Bucs are back at 500

Whenever Ben C. was hired I believed he knew a bit about baseball.  He has hired some very good individuals under him as well. So far this has been an enjoyable season. The bullpen has been fantastic. We do need to get a little length from our starting pitchers to save the bullpen guys.
Especially when teams go back to the 25 man Roster
It will be 26 man rosters, but only 13 pitchers are permitted.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It’s been a fun first 2 full weeks of the season. This team battles and is scrappy I’ll give them that and have found a way to play .500 ball through the first 16 games. Just hoping it’s not like last year where they had a winning record in April and things went completely down the toilet in May. Hopefully they can keep it up to start May and calling guys up like Cruz will add a much needed boost to both the lineup and the overall team in general.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I agree, Freddy, it's been a very enjoyable first 2 weeks. And like VaPirate has written, it feels like this team is MUCH improved in terms of fundamentals and having guys on the roster who actually know how to play baseball. It's such a refreshing change.

But like like you said, I remember last year's team opening with a surprising 12-11 record before they crashed and burned completely.

Not trying to be a downer, just realistic ... but I don't hold out much hope for this team.

It's just not sustainable with no starting pitching. And we essentially have no starting pitching. You can't have a rotation that averages about 3.2 innings per start. A rotation that gives up runs in the first inning every game. A rotation in which the starter leaves every game trailing 4-1 in the 4th inning. It just won't work.

The bullpen has been ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR. But they cannot give 5-6 innings every single game, night after night.

Also, offensively, this team has no power whatsoever, so when the bullpen finally wears down and starts giving up runs, this team isn't going to outscore anyone.

Bottom line ... I'm absolutely enjoying this season so far ... but unfortunately I do expect this team to fall apart sooner than later.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

547665787B7E79765562747478170 wrote: I agree, Freddy, it's been a very enjoyable first 2 weeks. And like VaPirate has written, it feels like this team is MUCH improved in terms of fundamentals and having guys on the roster who actually know how to play baseball. It's such a refreshing change.

But like like you said, I remember last year's team opening with a surprising 12-11 record before they crashed and burned completely.

Not trying to be a downer, just realistic ... but I don't hold out much hope for this team.

It's just not sustainable with no starting pitching. And we essentially have no starting pitching. You can't have a rotation that averages about 3.2 innings per start. A rotation that gives up runs in the first inning every game. A rotation in which the starter leaves every game trailing 4-1 in the 4th inning. It just won't work.

The bullpen has been ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR. But they cannot give 5-6 innings every single game, night after night.

Also, offensively, this team has no power whatsoever, so when the bullpen finally wears down and starts giving up runs, this team isn't going to outscore anyone.

Bottom line ... I'm absolutely enjoying this season so far ... but  unfortunately I do expect this team to fall apart sooner than later.
I don't think anyone expects them to finish with a winning record. But if this umpteenth rebuild is to succeed, we are looking for positive signs that can be carried forward as the talent level improves with prospects getting to the MLB level. The BP is impressive but the starting pitching needs significant improvement and that's not likely with these 5. Base running has been good. Infield defense has been shaky. Hitting needs to improve.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'll never be overjoyed by any 21-run loss, unless it's our team handing one to someone else.

It brings me a lot of joy, though, to see our guys shake it off and bounce back.

16 games doesn't tell me much, but it tells me at least that much.

So far, so acceptable.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7B5D5A4F464A5D4B43280 wrote: Crowe with outstanding work in the 7th.

What do Peters, Crowe and Bednar have in common?

ERA 0.00

Raise it!

Bucs are back at 500