Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Game Thread 4/29 - Padres vs Bucs

Post by GreenWeenie »

You're one of our SPs?
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

775A57464150470704350 wrote: Neil Walker with an honest critique of the Pirates' strategy. He says you have to wonder how long they can routinely use 4-5 pitchers each game.
Of the sub announcers, I really like Walker
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

596C7B7B70497B7B70777B1E0 wrote: You're one of our SPs?
That hurt it was so dang funny ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

can anyone remember the last time a Pirate so much as hit a fence on the bounce?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5B6560687B636368486D7A693E0C0 wrote: Neil Walker with an honest critique of the Pirates' strategy. He says you have to wonder how long they can routinely use 4-5 pitchers each game.
I like Walker too. It was rare to hear someone in the booth give an honest assessment of anything. Greg Brown is a cheerleader who sugarcoats every negative thing regarding the organization even to the point of lying. The other day he explained Shelton's practice of limiting the SPs as a strategy of pulling them "at the first sign of trouble." But Shelton has pulled them after recording an out with no one on base. Hardly a "sign of trouble." I wonder if Walker will be told not to be too honest.

Kevin Young is good too as far as what he says but I find his low, monotone drone voice annoying. It's like listening to a low hum the whole game. AT&T Sports must be aware of it because they had Brown read a Tweet a few games ago with a viewer praising Young's "soothing" voice. I wonder how many tweets they don't read of people wishing he would speak up. When former Oriole star Ken Singleton began broadcasting for the Orioles, he was the same. A low, monotone voice that could put you to sleep. He didn't last long. But then he must have taken a speaking course, went to the Yankees and did great as their broadcaster. So there's hope for Young but the problem needs to be addressed.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: Neil Walker with an honest critique of the Pirates' strategy. He says you have to wonder how long they can routinely use 4-5 pitchers each game.
I like Walker too. It was rare to hear someone in the booth give an honest assessment of anything. Greg Brown is a cheerleader who sugarcoats every negative thing regarding the organization even to the point of lying. The other day he explained Shelton's practice of limiting the SPs as a strategy of pulling them "at the first sign of trouble." But Shelton has pulled them after recording an out with no one on base. Hardly a "sign of trouble." I wonder if Walker will be told not to be too honest.

Kevin Young is good too as far as what he says but I find his low, monotone drone voice annoying. It's like listening to a low hum the whole game. AT&T Sports must be aware of it because they had Brown read a Tweet a few games ago with a viewer praising Young's "soothing" voice. I wonder how many tweets they don't read of people wishing he would speak up. When former Oriole star Ken Singleton began broadcasting for the Orioles, he was the same. A low, monotone voice that could put you to sleep. He didn't last long. But then he must have taken a speaking course, went to the Yankees and did great as their broadcaster. So there's hope for Young but the problem needs to be addressed.

Kevin Young's voice - it makes no sense to me why it wasn't addressed before he went to the booth. I can see bringing in someone like that as a guest but not any type of regular broadcaster no matter what knowledge he brings. That being said, he is a good guy and I hope he is successful.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

7C42474F5C44444F6F4A5D4E192B0 wrote: Neil Walker with an honest critique of the Pirates' strategy. He says you have to wonder how long they can routinely use 4-5 pitchers each game.

That's not all that "honest," IMO.

We go four/five pitchers because an "honest" critique is that the first three/four stink and need to do a whole lot better.  Starters are 0-10, and an "honest" critique would explain the reasons for what I just wrote.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

74525540494552444C270 wrote: You're one of our SPs?
That hurt it was so dang funny ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bad news, Surg.

Shelty says that you're not allowd to give it another go again tonight. You need to rest. :(((