4/30 Game thread Bucs vs Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

still waiting to be able to watch the game again on MLB, but the audio is up. listened to SD's on the final play, and as the umps were doing the review, they said this game is over, he's clearly safe.

Love mlb tv, get to hear a bunch of different calls from both sides on plays.

As I listen to more and more broadcasts, whether on mlb tv or watching other games, the art of the play by play is slowly dying, it's not just our guys. Too much chatter, not keeping up with the balls and strikes, and sometimes basically talking over routine outs.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The way Hosmer looked almost frozen on the final play, I think he confused himself on what to do with the ball, he looked like he had vapor lock of the brain, "where do I go with the ball?"
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea it was a good way to close out the month of April. It’s truly amazing that this Pirates team went the entire month of April without one starting pitcher winning a single game and found a way to still win 9 games and not be completely buried in the standings. Hopefully the Pirates can find a way to win the rubber match on Sunday. After the game with the Padres the Pirates gave 13 of the next 16 games coming up with the Tigers Reds, and Cubs  combined who all aren’t very good and all actually really stink so this is a chance to take advantage of a very weak schedule to start the month of May and win a bunch of games and get back around .500 and stay there in the next few weeks.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

cool shot on FB of the Stratton family taking in the fireworks last night
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4B6D6A7F767A6D7B73180 wrote: It was a pretty bad out call in the first place, from our seats you could clearly see he was safe.

But even better, Reynolds never stopped running and didn't spectate, and was standing on third had the call been upheld, with one out.

That is awesome baseball, and if MLB wants to pump up the game, they need to start focusing on plays like that, or the plays in the OF marisnick made in chicago. I see heads up, under the radar baseball every day, and it would be so much better on the hilight shows if they would focus on some of these hidden plays that never show up on the scoresheet. That's how you get people to enjoy the game aside from waiting on a HR
Excellent point. I think it shows that MLB markets its game to the casual fans much more so than the hardcore fans. I believe they could turn casual fans into hardcore fans by emphasizing the plays like you mentioned so that fans can have an appreciation of all that goes into playing the game. But MLB seems to focus on marquee names, home runs, saves and walk up or closer music. Those who appreciate the nuances of the game are hooked for life. The casual fans need to be constantly entertained by other things to keep them interested. And this is never more clear than in the broadcasts where the announcers think they must entertain us with comedy, teaching moments and stories about themselves.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

715C51404756410102330 wrote: It was a pretty bad out call in the first place, from our seats you could clearly see he was safe.

But even better, Reynolds never stopped running and didn't spectate, and was standing on third had the call been upheld, with one out.

That is awesome baseball, and if MLB wants to pump up the game, they need to start focusing on plays like that, or the plays in the OF marisnick made in chicago. I see heads up, under the radar baseball every day, and it would be so much better on the hilight shows if they would focus on some of these hidden plays that never show up on the scoresheet. That's how you get people to enjoy the game aside from waiting on a HR
Excellent point. I think it shows that MLB markets its game to the casual fans much more so than the hardcore fans. I believe they could turn casual fans into hardcore fans by emphasizing the plays like you mentioned so that fans can have an appreciation of all that goes into playing the game. But MLB seems to focus on marquee names, home runs, saves and walk up or closer music. Those who appreciate the nuances of the game are hooked for life. The casual fans need to be constantly entertained by other things to keep them interested. And this is never more clear than in the broadcasts where the announcers think they must entertain us with comedy, teaching moments and stories about themselves.
Hopefully this gets Reynolds out of his slump. Nice win overall.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

122C2921322A2A210124332077450 wrote: It was a pretty bad out call in the first place, from our seats you could clearly see he was safe.

Hopefully this gets Reynolds out of his slump. Nice win overall.

Are you aware that the ball hit by Reynolds was rued an error ?