Quintana to Cards?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Quintana to Cards?

Post by Ecbucs »

2E2C363026430 wrote: What does the Nunez addition say for Mason Martin's future? I'm guessing he may be done.

he might be done but I think he gets another shot next year at Indy. Hopefully he has the talent to be a good power hitter but hasn't made the needed adjustments.
ChillinStation

Quintana to Cards?

Post by ChillinStation »

Martin seems like a good kid and a grinder type. Hope the Bucs keep him for another year and see what adjustments he can make in the off season. There is no shame in repeating AAA .But at the same time some 1b competition is good for all.
MaineBucs

Quintana to Cards?

Post by MaineBucs »

Regardless if Oviedo or Nunez prove to be good pick-ups, the Quintana signing worked out well for the Pirates and for Quintana.

Quintana, on the whole, was the team's most consistent starter for the 4 months that he was here, and at minimal cost. On Quintana's end, he had an opportunity to rebuild his career as a starter (an opportunity he may not have received elsewhere), he now has a chance to pitch in meaningful games for the Cards, and if he continues to pitch for the Cards like he did for the Pirates, someone will offer him a $5 mil contract next year.

I'm sure he was frustrated that the Pirates treated him like a toy that was ready to break if he faced even one more batter a few too many times, but this approach may have benefitted him in increasing his value. All-in-all, I'm glad that Jose was a Pirate.

Stratton's time with the Pirate's also came to a close yesterday. Stratton became a bit too hittable as this season wore on, but he also was generally a plus during his time in the Burgh. If future pitchers

who are picked up off the DFA scrap heap can equal the overall performance that Stratton provided the Pirates, the team will benefit.

Oviedo likely will become the team's 7th or 8th inning pitcher for the rest of this season (Crowe looks like he is toast), and hopefully Nunez can continue to grow at Altoona.
fjk090852-7

Quintana to Cards?

Post by fjk090852-7 »

163031263020530 wrote: What does the Nunez addition say for Mason Martin's future? I'm guessing he may be done.

he might be done but I think he gets another shot next year at Indy.  Hopefully he has the talent to be a good power hitter but hasn't made the needed adjustments.
At this point I doubt the Pirates add Martin to the roster in November. He will be exposed to the Rule 5 Draft in December.
Ecbucs

Quintana to Cards?

Post by Ecbucs »

7E7273282128202D2A352F180 wrote: What does the Nunez addition say for Mason Martin's future? I'm guessing he may be done.

he might be done but I think he gets another shot next year at Indy.  Hopefully he has the talent to be a good power hitter but hasn't made the needed adjustments.
At this point I doubt the Pirates add Martin to the roster in November. He will be exposed to the Rule 5 Draft in December.
yeah, unless he does something good at Indy the rest of this season no reason to put him on the 40 man roster. Doubtful anyone would pick him.
fjk090852-7

Quintana to Cards?

Post by fjk090852-7 »

614746514757240 wrote: What does the Nunez addition say for Mason Martin's future? I'm guessing he may be done.

yeah, unless he does something good at Indy the rest of this season no reason to put him on the 40 man roster.  Doubtful anyone would pick him.
I thought I read that Nunez who they acquired from the Cards is Rule 5 eligible. I am sure they will protect him, or that would make that trade very questionable.
WildwoodDave2

Quintana to Cards?

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

153835242332256566570 wrote: I don't think Oviedo is much. Nunez has potential but if St.L. thought he would become a stud, I don't think they would have traded him within the division and not for possibly just a 2-month rental of Quintana and a year of Stratton. OTOH, Nunez doesn't have to be stud to be a fair return for 2 months of Quintana (he would not have returned to the Pirates next year) and a year of Stratton. If he can become a power bat even in a platoon situation (his minor league splits are very good vs LHP) it'll be a good trade.
I believe having Arenado at 3rd and Goldschmidt at 1st made

Nunez expendable
fjk090852-7

Quintana to Cards?

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Quintana tonight has gone 6 innings,one hit, one run and 7 strikeouts. He has thrown 86 pitches through 6 innings. A nice debut for the Cardinals.