Game Thread - 8/17 - Bucs vs BoSox

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

735552474E4255434B200 wrote: Back from hodgepodge park. Besides nothing after the first inning, it was such a quiet place. Red Sox fans have nothing on Yankees, Phillies, Mets fans. They had a few moments, but really disappointed they don't bring it like their reputation.

Every Pirates fan was surrounded by Red Sox fans, and they were very congenial actually. I guess there isn't much smack talk to throw around if you're in last place too. So while they bemoaned their bullpen, and we bemoaned our hodgepodgeness, it was a friendly atmosphere tonight.

Television can do no justice on a home run like Reynolds hit. There's just something about those towering drives that provide more awe then the laser beam shots, which are great too.

I yelled Ke'Bryan would have caught that! when Padlo let that ball off his glove. I was instantly asked, "Who's that?"  apparently, Hayes isn't that well known outside the 'Podge.
Wehner likened it to a Jason Bay moonshot.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

0E282F3A333F283E365D0 wrote: Back from hodgepodge park. Besides nothing after the first inning, it was such a quiet place. Red Sox fans have nothing on Yankees, Phillies, Mets fans. They had a few moments, but really disappointed they don't bring it like their reputation.

Every Pirates fan was surrounded by Red Sox fans, and they were very congenial actually. I guess there isn't much smack talk to throw around if you're in last place too. So while they bemoaned their bullpen, and we bemoaned our hodgepodgeness, it was a friendly atmosphere tonight.

Television can do no justice on a home run like Reynolds hit. There's just something about those towering drives that provide more awe then the laser beam shots, which are great too.

I yelled Ke'Bryan would have caught that! when Padlo let that ball off his glove. I was instantly asked, "Who's that?"  apparently, Hayes isn't that well known outside the 'Podge.

I was there, too. First game since '19, I think. We live in Boston but I'm raising my son as a Pirates and Steelers fan (I grew up in Pittsburgh). Luckily baseball is his third-most-favorite sport so he's not hugely affected by the Pirates sucking. (He's also a massive Celtics fan.)

The last two games I took him to they got shut out by the Braves and Cubs, so after two batters we'd already had a better experience than the last two games.

We were in section 120, great seats, easy to acquire. The crowd was at least 50 percent Red Sox fans.

My son had a great time despite the loss, and it's a beautiful ballpark, but it was fairly demoralizing from a fan perspective to see the endless at bats of Padlo, Greg Allen, Jason Delay, and on and on.

I had the exact same comment on Padlo. After his misplay and the inning ended he went to chuck the ball to fans over the netting. He couldn't quite make it over and the ball bounced back.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

38343D30277B213C383A213D2C6765153238550 wrote: Back from hodgepodge park. Besides nothing after the first inning, it was such a quiet place. Red Sox fans have nothing on Yankees, Phillies, Mets fans. They had a few moments, but really disappointed they don't bring it like their reputation.

I was there, too. First game since '19, I think. We live in Boston but I'm raising my son as a Pirates and Steelers fan (I grew up in Pittsburgh). Luckily baseball is his third-most-favorite sport so he's not hugely affected by the Pirates sucking. (He's also a massive Celtics fan.)

The last two games I took him to they got shut out by the Braves and Cubs, so after two batters we'd already had a better experience than the last two games.

We were in section 120, great seats, easy to acquire. The crowd was at least 50 percent Red Sox fans.

My son had a great time despite the loss, and it's a beautiful ballpark, but it was fairly demoralizing from a fan perspective to see the endless at bats of Padlo, Greg Allen, Jason Delay, and on and on.

I had the exact same comment on Padlo. After his misplay and the inning ended he went to chuck the ball to fans over the netting. He couldn't quite make it over and the ball bounced back.
Padlo is a career .249 hitter at AAA. In a handful of MLB ABs he's hit .119. But after he did well in 4 games at Indy get got immediately brought up and put 5th in the batting order by Shelton. As if he's going to "protect" the cleanup hitter (if we have one). But the sad thing is, why not? No one is hitting. Only Newman and Reynolds have half a chance. A mediocre minor leaguer is as good as anyone else on the roster to bat 5th. Maybe it'll be VanMeter today. This is truly a hodgepodge of nothingness.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Hodgepodge Of Byan Reynolds, But Not A Whole Lot More. :(((
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I'm thinking Captain Bligh is about to get switched with Swaggerty. I get that's he's a fringy prospect but I was sure hoping he could find some consistency as I've liked his story since we drafted him. He is completely baffled at the plate right now.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I too had high hopes for Madris after his start in the majors and even suggested that he could be like Al Oliver. I now humbly offer my apologies to Scoops for what appears to have been a gross overestimation of Madris's talent. Perhaps Madris will figure it out, but at present, AAA (not even AAAA) looks like it could be his zenith.