Carlos Santana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Carlos Santana

Post by GreenWeenie »

406667706676050 wrote: It is a gamble with Nuttings money but I find it hard to believe that BC can't find a better use for this than on Santana.  He hit less than 170 against righthanded pitchers last year with ops of 655

Chavis against righties was 222 with 618.

I sure would like a first baseman or dh that slugs better than 400.

It just seems like settling to me.  We plugged that hole with 2 players and it should be a little better than last year (but to me it looks like it will still be one of worst offenses from first again).

Reality is that a younger, more powerful, .250 guy does not come to the Pirates.  They have other options and the price tag's even higher.  Neither side would have interest.

If Cherington's "off" on this evaluation, then he could be as equally off on the draft choices he's made.  The difference is the cost, but the effect's the same.  He wouldn't have made this deal if he didn't feel comfortable with it.
IABucFan

Carlos Santana

Post by IABucFan »

Jeromy Burnitz 2.0.
fjk090852-7

Carlos Santana

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There are a lot of mixed comments regarding the Santana signing, but when former players say he has a winning attitude, and holds respect with his fellow players, he seems the perfect guy for Cruz, Andujar and others to learn from his veteran presence. When the Pirates had winning seasons, young players looked up to Clemente, Stargell and most recently A J Burnett. Winning teams need these types of players. I hope very soon they sign a starting pitcher whom the young starters can learn, from his time in the League.
Ecbucs

Carlos Santana

Post by Ecbucs »

4075626269506262696E62070 wrote: It is a gamble with Nuttings money but I find it hard to believe that BC can't find a better use for this than on Santana.  He hit less than 170 against righthanded pitchers last year with ops of 655

It just seems like settling to me.  We plugged that hole with 2 players and it should be a little better than last year (but to me it looks like it will still be one of worst offenses from first again).

Reality is that a younger, more powerful, .250 guy does not come to the Pirates.  They have other options and the price tag's even higher.  Neither side would have interest.

If Cherington's "off" on this evaluation, then he could be as equally off on the draft choices he's made.  The difference is the cost, but the effect's the same.  He wouldn't have made this deal if he didn't feel comfortable with it.

at least he is making moves, that should make it easier to decide if he is David Littlefield 2.0.  Still the team is going to be spending 11 million or so on first in 2023. Right now first base (other than perhaps Hayes) is going to be the team's most expensive position. I'd like to get more bang for the buck than Choi and Santana.
WildwoodDave2

Carlos Santana

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

072120372131420 wrote: It is a gamble with Nuttings money but I find it hard to believe that BC can't find a better use for this than on Santana.  He hit less than 170 against righthanded pitchers last year with ops of 655

at least he is making moves, that should make it easier to decide if he is David Littlefield 2.0.  Still the team is going to be spending 11 million or so on first in 2023.  Right now first base (other than perhaps Hayes) is going to be the team's most expensive position.  I'd like to get more bang for the buck than Choi and Santana.
I don't feel we can make any judgement until half way through the season
GreenWeenie

Carlos Santana

Post by GreenWeenie »

We're able to make judgments every day.  What we can't do is come to a conclusion.

What's the worst that can happen?

The worst is that a team that lost 100 games....Will lose 100 games.

It's a one-year deal, for heaven's sake.  If the team and guy does well and the unlikely event, we make the playoffs.

It's most likely he stays four months.  That won't cause long-term harm.  If it does, we have far bigger issues.

He very well could be dealt.

Let's do nothing.  That's worked so well over recent years.
SammyKhalifa

Carlos Santana

Post by SammyKhalifa »

No I genuinely didn't know how he was doing the past several years. I mean I knew him with the Indians (my nephew is a fan) but I'm sure he'll be fine.
Surgnbuck

Carlos Santana

Post by Surgnbuck »

Never understand yinzer mentality. Complain when they don't spend, complain about who it's spent on when the pocket book gets crowbarred open. This isn't a dumpster dive, they paid what I'm assuming is market value. But yeah bring back cutch for sentimental reasons.
GreenWeenie

Carlos Santana

Post by GreenWeenie »

Word, except for the "Cutch" reference.

They want to bring Cutch back for BASEBALL reasons. :)))))
2drfischer@gmail.c

Carlos Santana

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I see more positives to this signing than negatives.  To me, he was signed in order to be traded at the deadline.  At his age, and with the team still likely two years away from competing, he wasn't brought in to fill a hole that will complete the line-up on a team looking to make the playoffs.

The same can be said of Choi.  Both guys are here because there's no 1Bman in the system who's quite ready.  Hopefully by the end of July someone emerges, allowing BC to deal both Santana and Choi.  Of course, it would help if both have good seasons up to that point.  If not, signing both is still a chance worth taking.