Official Griping About Announcers Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1F2A3D3D360F3D3D36313D580 wrote: Comedy or not, I don't like listening to Brown calling games.  After games; before games, OK.  I like him then.  During games, I check off.  Not my cup of tea.
I've never liked his obsession with nicknames and catch phrases. I think he's fine describing the action in the game but these days he does less of that so that he can be on camera nearly every inning to "entertain" us.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Bingo....and, double bingo!

Not every game is Game 7 of the WS.

In my home region, we Pirates fans know a thing or two about home runs.

Not every home run is the most recent Mazeroski-equivalent.

I have no problem with being exciting....or, being excited. But, for heaven's sake.....Calm Down Brown!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

It is quite a stark contrast watching other teams broadcasts on mlb tv, in how little the booth announcers are shown during the game. Not that other teams announcers also don't go off on tangents, and try entertaining with witty reparte.

Really liked the Cards announcing crew last night.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

725453464F4354424A210 wrote: It is quite a stark contrast watching other teams broadcasts on mlb tv, in how little the booth announcers are shown during the game. Not that other teams announcers also don't go off on tangents, and try entertaining with witty reparte.

Really liked the Cards announcing crew last night.
I noticed that too. Other broadcasters are rarely seen. There seems to be a stationary camera in the Pirates booth. Always the same angle (nearest the analyst). I wonder who makes the decision when to show the announcers. They are usually on camera at least once an inning. Often just to show them while they talk to each other rather than because they have something to show to the camera.

It appears AT&T SportsNet sees the game production as a "total entertainment package." They want the game of course but they also want the announcers to be personalities doing funny bits with each other, often a segment with Robbie visiting the booth with food for them to talk about, and in-game clinics with McKenry.

I think AT&T SportsNet also does the Astros. I should tune in and see if this a formula they use there too.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Greg Brown, the master of comedy, seems to think he's found comedic gold in the name "Bligh." As a nickname on a Pirates team, "Captain Bligh" is fine. Leave it at that. We don't need "blighmey" or "unblighlievable" accompanied by his own laughter as though Brown just can't stop himself from being so freaking hilarious. ::)
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Just read that Peacock will stream the July 3rd. game between

the Royals and Tigers WITHOUT ANNOUNCERS . They plan on having reporters take fans around the ballpark and view the game

from different vantage points. The producer, Sam Flood said, " the whole idea of this is to treat the game completely different. We are going to take you out to the ballpark"

Hmmm- watch out Mr. Brown!!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It's very distracting to watch a game when Joe Block announces. He feels he has to talk continuously throughout the game, which results in him spending the majority of the game talking about things not related to the game being played in front of him. When a ball is put in play, he interrupts whatever his current topic is to describe the action and then immediately goes back to his non-game related topic. As a viewer, you either have to tune out Block to focus on the game, or else spend the game focused on Block's ramblings with brief interludes to describe the game.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

After listening to the home team last night, I see what you mean.

I agree that Block would benefit from more pausing.

Case in point was toward the end of the game. Walk explained how, with such a large lead, the Red Sox didn't need to focus on throwing a Pirate out at home plate; all that was needed is to get the third out before the tying run came up to bat. Getting the guy out at home plate or any other base didn't matter until then.

I thought that Bob did a fine job with that explanation. Listeners should've gotten it by that alone.

A few words from Block weren't necessary at that point (my opinion.)

That said, I don't find him annoying as often as I do Brown. I think that Block has a pleasant voice. Brown probably does, too, until he makes an ordinary home run out to be a WS Game 7, extra inning grand slam.

I can overlook a lot of the "outside" stuff because most of the time, I concentrate on what announcers say about the plays. I tune a lot of the other stuff out.

Bottom line- more pausing would help, IMO. Less is sometimes more.

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

You know, I would support Bob Costas for MLB Commish. IDK who, when, why, where, how this guy ever became considered a great announcer. What am I missing? He is the most annoying, pompous, smarmy announcer ever to sit in a booth for big games.

And people think Joe Buck is terrible? Costas has him by at least two lengths.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I watched the Reds broadcast of the first series before tuning in to Brown/Wehner for the Red Sox series. And Brown/Wehner have done a fine job thru these 2 games so far. No silliness, no puns, no jokes, no eating in the booth. Not even the usual Greg Brown addiction to catch-phrases. It makes me wonder if a producer edict was issued to clean up the broadcasts. It's too soon to know. But on Bae's HR, Greg Brown appeared to be creating a new hackneyed catch phrase, something like "What can you say........?" to rhyme with Bae. But then Brown caught himself and continued, "What can you say.....about that?"

Having not seen the initial series with Brown and Walk, who generally try to laugh their way thru every game, I can't say if the format has changed this year. Maybe those who watched those games on AT&T Sports can tell me. But I've enjoyed the Brown/Wehner broadcasts of the Boston series so far.