Official Minor League Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Official Minor League Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1B1C302731520 wrote: Just noticed the starting lineup for Indianapolis tonight. Palacios is not playing which could be that he is returning to the Pirates. Also Hayes isn’t playing, and I wonder if he is still having back issues? I believe he has only played one game on his rehab assignment.

Your post motivated me to check Bradenton’s box score.  After an exciting first professional at-bat last night, Mitch Jebb has been Sheltonized and is resting tonight.

I’m hoping Jebb turns out to be Pete Rose——-without a DraftKings account.
I saw that video of Jebb, and he was quick by scoring from second on the wild pitch. Tell you the truth,I thought about Pete Rose when I saw that play. It would be nice to have a Rose type player on the Pirates.
Possum

Re: Official Minor League Thread

Post by Possum »

Test
Let's Go Bucs
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Jase Bowen hit his 21st home run for Greensboro tonight. One would think the Pirates may move him to Altoona to get a chance to experience AA pitching.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I see that Paul Skenes got off to a nice start in his pro debut in the Florida Coast League. I’m mostly glad that they’re getting him into competition rather than having him just work out. Yesterday, he worked one inning, throwing 11 pitches, getting a groundout, a fly out, and a strike out. He threw mostly fastballs and he came as advertised as all but one of his pitches were 99 mph and above. Gents, we may have ourselves a legit pitcher.

And not to be greedy but I see that Mitch Jebb continues to hit well. His average remains over .350 in 40+ at bats. I’d love to have a high average, high OBP guy at the top of the order, causing other teams great pain.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:41 am I see that Paul Skenes got off to a nice start in his pro debut in the Florida Coast League. I’m mostly glad that they’re getting him into competition rather than having him just work out. Yesterday, he worked one inning, throwing 11 pitches, getting a groundout, a fly out, and a strike out. He threw mostly fastballs and he came as advertised as all but one of his pitches were 99 mph and above. Gents, we may have ourselves a legit pitcher.

And not to be greedy but I see that Mitch Jebb continues to hit well. His average remains over .350 in 40+ at bats. I’d love to have a high average, high OBP guy at the top of the order, causing other teams great pain.
An interesting stat for Jebb is that he has only 3 strikeouts in 45 at bats. I am going to keep an eye on him as he continues through the organization.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Curious to see if they don’t give skenes an inning or two at the end of the year a la Cruz to let him get a taste seeing he will be up next year at some point
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Whether Skenes appears with Pirates this season may partially depend on whether they want to put him on 40 man roster. I think if they put him on 40 man it means they think he has a good chance to break spring training with team next year.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Ecbucs wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:00 pm Whether Skenes appears with Pirates this season may partially depend on whether they want to put him on 40 man roster. I think if they put him on 40 man it means they think he has a good chance to break spring training with team next year.
Protecting players from the Rule 5 draft is always an issue and using up a spot on the 40 just to give Skenes a small taste of MLB at the end of the season wouldn't be worth losing someone who could have been protected. So I don't think we'll see Skenes this season.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I just scanned an article on the MLB website that reassesses the Pirates top 30 prospects. It didn’t list all 30 guys but there was no mention at all of Nick Gonzales. I found that interesting and surprising.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Skenes pitched only the first inning. Two strikeouts, and the third out was a caught stealing of home. Bradenton scored 4 runs in the home half of the first, highlighted by a three run homer by Charles McAdoo. So far McAdoo appears to be a good draft choice by the Bucs this year.