Nationals looking at Melancon

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

It won't paralyze the team if they get nothing for Melancon especially if the return would be a high A level prospect and a fungible reliever for their All-Star closer as suggested above. My guess is that there will be a revolt in the clubhouse, however, if that's the return while they are legitimately chasing the playoffs.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

W'v traded quite a few good closers right before they started to stink or get hurt. We've also turned a lot of trash into very good closers. Melancon being an example of that.

Closers are maybe the mos over rated commodity in Basball

Watson would be five as closer and in a month after the deadline rosters expand and we can try some AAA and AA guys like Lakind to see how they are coming out of the pen in blow out games and we if they are potential 6th or even 7th inning type guys
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

1D382B3E22292223262E4A0 wrote: It won't paralyze the team if they get nothing for Melancon especially if the return would be a high A level prospect and a fungible reliever for their All-Star closer as suggested above.  My guess is that there will be a revolt in the clubhouse, however, if that's the return while they are legitimately chasing the playoffs.

So the players will revolt and not finish three games over .500?

They aren't performing NOW. They are playing complacent baseball.

Why do we think they'll get good, next week or month or post season?
Quail

Post by Quail »

I don't think the Pirates are playing 'complacent' baseball. The players I'm watching are hustling and appear to be trying hard to be successful. Their starting rotation simply has not been competitive.

I do think the FO was complacent in the off-season. It was pretty clear that they were willing to sit back on a 98 win season and do almost nothing to improve upon that team. Perhaps all along they viewed this as a transition year. If that is the mindset then trading Melancon is the only thing that makes sense now. He's an asset who if retained for the rest of the season will turn into a net zero as he'll most certainly be moving on. In a transition year it's essential to turn that kind of short-term asset into another controllable one.

Nationals look to be a good matchup for the Pirates. If we can get a top notch pitching prospect or (fingers crossed) Ross or Roarke for Melancon (maybe sweeten the deal for the Nats with a Joyce or Jaso) I'd make the deal without hesitation.
Speedloader88

Post by Speedloader88 »

I move Melancon for a convincing, if not spectacular, package in return. I do not have confidence that the starting rotation is capable of the consistency required to seriously position themselves for a Pennant. I also believe that if I'm wrong and we suddenly start pitching consistently well with a patchwork of young guys and maybe the addition of a starter, then I have confidence that we have the pieces to close games. Melancon is a luxury on this team as presently constructed and should another team wish to pay for our luxury then we would be foolish not to bolster our organization. My ideals are cemented in my mind by the fact that Mark will only be ours until September anyway, so I pick up the phone every time it rings!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0934332934335D0 wrote: It won't paralyze the team if they get nothing for Melancon especially if the return would be a high A level prospect and a fungible reliever for their All-Star closer as suggested above.  My guess is that there will be a revolt in the clubhouse, however, if that's the return while they are legitimately chasing the playoffs.

So the players will revolt and not finish three games over .500?

They aren't performing NOW. They are playing complacent baseball.

Why do we think they'll get good, next week or month or post season?

Their schedule.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Nats are focused on Melancon. Appears that this deal may happen.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7874752E272E262B2C33291E0 wrote: Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Nats are focused on Melancon. Appears that this deal may happen.

It is interesting. Is this smoke to get Yankees to accept their offer for Miller or are they offering enough for the Bucs to decide dealing Shark is worth it.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Has anyone done any research on what the Nats have that might help us?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

A couple Nats who might be available are Blake Treien, and Erik Fedde. Treien is a bullpen guy for the Nats who could become the seventh inning guy. Fedde is a prospect in their system. Both are tall pitchers which fits the Bucs mold for young pitchers.