7/31 Game Thread Liriano versus Brewers...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Jonathan34

Post by Jonathan34 »

Rivero gets through an inning with 0 runs, a walk, a hit and 2ks (including a lefty, who have beat him up good this year). Stuff looks electric, and looks like he has much better control than Cameniero.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

What an absolute disaster this series was for the Pirates this weekend. The Pirates chances of staying in the wildcard race after this sweep this weekend are now going to depend a great deal on beating both the Braves and Reds this week. You honestly need 5 wins out of 6 this week to makeup for this piss poor excuse of a performance this weekend.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Whelp, nothing about this weekend went as I expected. This is certainly one of the worse weekends if baseball that I can remember.

I don't know what to think.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

183F2E2A2F320D392E2F2F324B0 wrote: Jaso is hitting .186 over his last 30 games. Please move him in the next day or so so that Bell can come up here and play first base. I just have no idea sometimes what the Pirates are thinking and what goes through heads.

I agree with above and add why is Cutch hitting 3rd the guy is just awful. We need to structure the lineup where it represents reality of how players are playing and not how they've played in the past or how Hurdle thinks they should be playing. I'm sick and tired of seeing Cutch pull this team down. We have several players with their best years with Cutch killing us everytime he comes to the plate. Get over yourself and do what's best for the team. Bench him or put him at the bottom of the lineup until he proves he needs to moved higher in the lineup.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Cutch was 1 for 12 in this series. I said earlier it's time to move him down in the order now or quit playing him every game and start Matt Joyce occasionally. He definitely needs moved down in the order though immediately. Hurdle can't worry about hurting Cutch's feelings or his ego.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Matt Joyce is a better option as a starter than Cutch right now.

I know it will never happen, but I'd move Marte to CF, Polanco to LF, put Joyce in RF and give Cutch at least a week off to maybe, hopefully regroup -- if it's not too late already.

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

On a positive note, the Melancon trade is looking absolutely BRILLIANT with each passing day.

If the Pirates never need a closer again this year -- and the way they are hitting right now they might not -- then this trade was an absolute steal for NH and the Pirates.

They traded away a player that wasn't going to be used again this season for 2 young power lefties. Genius.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

2 more things ...

Pirates just played a 3-game series and they trailed at the end of all 27 innings. Never even tied. They trailed THE ENTIRE SERIES except for the top of the 1st in each game.

In the last 10 seasons, the Brewers are 64-17 vs. the Pirates at Miller Park. HOW CAN THIS BE???? Those kind of numbers aren't supposed to happen in baseball.

Just a nightmare weekend. Pirates would need to 6-0 this week to make up for this fiasco, and we know that's not going to happen because they have 6 games against bad teams.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Rivero did look great today. Throws 96-97 consistently and looks like he can slide right into a role pitching in both the 7th or 8th inning. Hopefully we can use him a lot this week and start winning these games against both Atlanta and Cincinnati.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

143625383B3E39361522343438570 wrote: 2 more things ...

Pirates just played a 3-game series and they trailed at the end of all 27 innings. Never even tied. They trailed THE ENTIRE SERIES except for the top of the 1st in each game.

In the last 10 seasons, the Brewers are 64-17 vs. the Pirates at Miller Park. HOW CAN THIS BE???? Those kind of numbers aren't supposed to happen in baseball.

Just a nightmare weekend. Pirates would need to 6-0 this week to make up for this fiasco, and we know that's not going to happen because they have 6 games against bad teams. I'll settle for winning 5 of 6 or even going 4-2 this week. Regardless, the Pirates MUST win these series against both the Braves and Reds. You can't afford to have a bad week this week against both of these teams. If the Pirates do have a bad week they are going to really start slipping out of the wildcard race.