8/9 Game Thread - Kuhl Runnings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Eye contusion for Jaso? DL stint? Fingers crossed...
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

3A3D2B232D3A7D71082F25292124662B2725480 wrote: Kuhl didn't let the 1st inning get to him. Both he and Brault have shown that they are battlers when things don't go in their favor.

I really like Kuhl. And you're right - I think he was initially rattled but he's been excellent since the 2nd.

76 pitches starting the 6th, 48 strikes, 28 balls
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Gotta go back to JHay stealing 2nd:

Probably 80% of the base runners give up on that play. 99.9% would be out if they didn't give up. If he's out at 2nd the score is almost certainly 2-2 still.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

604F58594F5341492A0 wrote: Kuhl didn't let the 1st inning get to him. Both he and Brault have shown that they are battlers when things don't go in their favor.

I really like Kuhl. And you're right - I think he was initially rattled but he's been excellent since the 2nd.

Should be 2 unearned runs. Big time start in a game the Pirates have to win.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Critical win tonight. Pretty much a mandatory win.

Here's the problem. If you don't count the Mariners' series (because Seattle is pretty good), the Padres series wraps up a stretch of 18 games vs. really bad teams.

So far, the Pirates are 8-8 with 2 games to go. That's not good.

I'd say a stretch like that requires a MINIMUM of 12-6.

If the Pirates can sweep the Padres (unlikely, since the Pirates never play 3 good games in a row any more), they'll finish 10-8.

They actually would have won each of the home series ... but had a complete meltdown on the road trip.

The road trip needed to be 4-2. Instead, it was 1-5.

Those 3 extra games in standings could doom this team this year. With a road trip coming up at LA and SF, having that additional cushion of 3 games in the standings would have really made a difference.

Instead, the Pirates have no margin for error. A 1-5 kind of trip to the West Coast (very possible) could bury this team.

But somehow they've got to make up the ground they lost in that 1-5 trip ... I'm just not sure they're a good enough team to do it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

414650585641060A73545E525A5F1D505C5E330 wrote: JHay is simply superhuman on the bases.  That was flat out impossible. 

People on here love to complain about him, but if we had a team that played as hard as does every play we'd be champions. 

He puts himself in those situations. It's not good. He does get thrown out more in run downs. People just remember the three times he won the run down. It's bad base running to be in those situations.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

4B4C5A525C4B0C00795E54585055175A5654390 wrote: Kuhl didn't let the 1st inning get to him. Both he and Brault have shown that they are battlers when things don't go in their favor.

[/quote

Should be 2 unearned runs.  Big time start in a game the Pirates have to win.

I'd def go back to Locke. Kuhl clearly didn't do enough tonight to get another start. The way Hurdle and management has mis-managed this roster so far this season I won't be shocked if that's what Hurdle is thinking.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

5E7C6F727174737C5F687E7E721D0 wrote: Critical win tonight. Pretty much a mandatory win.

Here's the problem. If you don't count the Mariners' series (because Seattle is pretty good), the Padres series wraps up a stretch of 18 games vs. really bad teams.

So far, the Pirates are 8-8 with 2 games to go. That's not good.

I'd say a stretch like that requires a MINIMUM of 12-6.

If the Pirates can sweep the Padres (unlikely, since the Pirates never play 3 good games in a row any more), they'll finish 10-8.

They actually would have won each of the home series ... but had a complete meltdown on the road trip.

The road trip needed to be 4-2. Instead, it was 1-5.

Those 3 extra games in standings could doom this team this year. With a road trip coming up at LA and SF, having that additional cushion of 3 games in the standings would have really made a difference.

Instead, the Pirates have no margin for error. A 1-5 kind of trip to the West Coast (very possible) could bury this team.

But somehow they've got to make up the ground they lost in that 1-5 trip ... I'm just not sure they're a good enough team to do it. The Marlins win tonight but both the Cardinals and Mets lose tonight as the Bucs stay 2.5 behind the Marlins, and pull within a 1.5 of the Cards who are now 3-5 in the last week against both the Reds and Braves, and are now tied with the Mets in the standings as well who continue to struggle. Gotta get these next two wins before heading out West. Good chance if you do you will start the weekend in LA probably at either 1 full game back at the very worst or possibly even better.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

0E29383C39241B2F383939245D0 wrote: Kuhl didn't let the 1st inning get to him. Both he and Brault have shown that they are battlers when things don't go in their favor.

[/quote

Should be 2 unearned runs.  Big time start in a game the Pirates have to win.

I'd def go back to Locke. Kuhl clearly didn't do enough tonight to get another start. The way Hurdle and management has mis-managed this roster so far this season I won't be shocked if that's what Hurdle is thinking.

I wouldn't be suprised but if they do send him down and Locke starts another game I'm done with this FO.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

7275636B6572353940676D61696C2E636F6D000 wrote: JHay is simply superhuman on the bases.  That was flat out impossible. 

People on here love to complain about him, but if we had a team that played as hard as does every play we'd be champions. 

there is no doubt jhay has the heart and the passion. hes NOT someone trying to look good first and formost

just like cutch said in an interview last week. "I am still Andrew McCutchen". thats his problem. play for the team on the front, meat. stop worrying about you.

jhay may lack starting talent, but i agree with you 100%. he runs hard out of the box (aka he triples), he plays hard, though not always smart. if cutch had the heart JHay has, hed still be winning MVPs