Monday Night in Harrisburg

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Walker didn't want to go to 1B. I was against that move. Now, I would take it over Jaso. Walker's bat plays better at 2B. He knows that, the Pirates/Mets know that, his agent knows that.

Would you take Walker over Harrison? I know you like Harrison (or higher on him than most).
Quail

Post by Quail »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: Walker didn't want to go to 1B.  I was against that move.  Now, I would take it over Jaso.  Walker's bat plays better at 2B.  He knows that, the Pirates/Mets know that, his agent knows that. 

Would you take Walker over Harrison?  I know you like Harrison (or higher on him than most).

I know NH mentioned that he didn't want to ask Walker to move to 1B because he felt it would have been unfair to ask of a player who was going into his free agent season and might lessen his value (altruism?). I heard (I can't remember the source) that Walker told the Pirates he was willing to make the switch.

With 20/20 hindsight we'd have been a lot better off with Walker playing 1B instead of Jaso and we'd certainly have been better off without ever having had Niese in our starting rotation.The concept of the whole 'trade Walker' thing was OK but the FO botched the particulars.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

587C686065090 wrote: Walker didn't want to go to 1B.  I was against that move.  Now, I would take it over Jaso.  Walker's bat plays better at 2B.  He knows that, the Pirates/Mets know that, his agent knows that. 

Would you take Walker over Harrison?  I know you like Harrison (or higher on him than most).

I know NH mentioned that he didn't want to ask Walker to move to 1B because he felt it would have been unfair to ask of a player who was going into his free agent season and might lessen his value (altruism?). I heard (I can't remember the source) that Walker told the Pirates he was willing to make the switch.

With 20/20 hindsight we'd have been a lot better off with Walker playing 1B instead of Jaso and we'd certainly have been better off without ever having had Niese in our starting rotation.The concept of the whole 'trade Walker' thing was OK but the FO botched the particulars. 

Yeah - Neil at 1st was the obvious answer. And we end the FA value stuff by signing him to a 3 year deal. THAT was the best baseball move and best business move. When they wouldn't even talk to Neil, that was a big sign to me that winning was not necessarily the top priority.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5259515D5859420701764F575E5959185559360 wrote: Walker didn't want to go to 1B.  I was against that move.  Now, I would take it over Jaso.  Walker's bat plays better at 2B.  He knows that, the Pirates/Mets know that, his agent knows that. 

Yes. I would definitely take Walker over Harrison. I love JHay, but he's not the baseball player Walker is.

But more importantly, I disagreed last winter and certainly disagree now that Walker's bat doesn't play at 1st. Neil would be a great 1st and his bat would look good there. So the best team was Neil at 1st and Josh at 2nd.
PMike

Post by PMike »

Of all the things to gripe about with this team, the impact of losing Alvarez and Walker has to be one of the silliest. First of all, Alvarez was not great offensively last year. He had a .787 OPS but struck out so frequently and killed so many rallies, he had to bat low in the order. Walker had an even lower .756 OPS. It's not like we traded away perennial all stars here. The offense has been good this year. Some have outdone expectations. If you want to find blame, look to CF and 3B. Not 2B and 1B.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

504D696B65000 wrote: Of all the things to gripe about with this team, the impact of losing Alvarez and Walker has to be one of the silliest.  First of all, Alvarez was not great offensively last year.  He had a .787 OPS but struck out so frequently and killed so many rallies, he had to bat low in the order.  Walker had an even lower .756 OPS.  It's not like we traded away perennial all stars here.  The offense has been good this year.  Some have outdone expectations.  If you want to find blame, look to CF and 3B.  Not 2B and 1B.

It still factored in. The discussion was about making big moves and trading/losing current guys. That was why those two were brought up.

It is also hard to imagine the team wouldn't be better with Walker and Alvarez as regulars.

Walker was a bad trade as Niese did not perform. Jaso doesn't look like a good signing either. Those two moves did hurt the team compared to the 2015 team.