8/24 Game Thread - Cole v Stros

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Way to go Cole way to piss away another big game. This will be Cole's 4th start in a row which the Pirates won't win if they don't come back. He is a big reason the Pirates are 3 games out of a playoff spot now. He has just been horrific this month so far.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

WHY ON EARTH to sacrifice bunt down 5 to freaking one?
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0624372A292C2B24073026262A450 wrote: Well, this game is pretty much over.

If you are in a tight pennant race, you CANNOT lose this game with this pitching matchup.

Problem is, Cole right now is pitching like a bad No. 5 starter. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HIM? He's not good and he's losing EVERY TIME through the rotation.

Then of course there's the other problem ... pitchers with a recent ERA of 9.00 shutting down the Pirates offense. And it surprises no one.

What a mess ... and what a disaster of a homestand.

Cole's ERA is now over 3.50.

He goes 5 innings. So he's again not going deep.

As you said, there is simply NO WAY the Pirates can lose this matchup. Cole is the single biggest reason the Pirates are on the outside looking in at the WC.

Regarding the mess: As I mentioned in another thread, I don't like this team going into next year. Some real changes are needed.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

515640484651161A63444E424A4F0D404C4E230 wrote: Well, this game is pretty much over.

If you are in a tight pennant race, you CANNOT lose this game with this pitching matchup.

Problem is, Cole right now is pitching like a bad No. 5 starter. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HIM? He's not good and he's losing EVERY TIME through the rotation.

Then of course there's the other problem ... pitchers with a recent ERA of 9.00 shutting down the Pirates offense. And it surprises no one.

As you said, there is simply NO WAY the Pirates can lose this matchup.  Cole is the single biggest reason the Pirates are on the outside looking in at the WC. 

Regarding the mess: As I mentioned in another thread, I don't like this team going into next year.  Some real changes are needed. 

What changes need to be made VA just curious to see what you think. I think the lineup is pretty much set. The pitching staff though needs a ton of work.
rucker59@gmail.com

Gregory Polanco is the man on this team. The torch has been passed.
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

5E79686C69744B7F686969740D0 wrote: Well, this game is pretty much over.

As you said, there is simply NO WAY the Pirates can lose this matchup.  Cole is the single biggest reason the Pirates are on the outside looking in at the WC. 

Regarding the mess: As I mentioned in another thread, I don't like this team going into next year.  Some real changes are needed. 

What changes need to be made VA just curious to see what you think. I think the lineup is pretty much set. The pitching staff though needs a ton of work.

Yeah I don't think there really is much to change for next year either.  This team is positioned to be much better in 2017.  I even like the rotation a lot with Taillon, Cole, Glasnow, and Kuhl.

Plus, looks like Bell may finally give the Pirates a competent 1B...also, Newman might make Mercer expendable. One of this teams big issues is that they're built better to compete next year.
rucker59@gmail.com

0A2D3C383D201F2B3C3D3D20590 wrote: Well, this game is pretty much over.

Freddy, when this season started I loved this lineup.  I thought 1st base could be upgraded but otherwise I considered it set for the next couple years.  The rotation was the weak spot (and it was real problem much of the year).  But almost 5 months into this season, I think the lineup needs to be fixed and I think it's as big an issue as the rotation IF the goal is to win a WS. 

I think there is real opportunity in moving some real value to acquire real value at positions of need.  I'd move Marte, Cole and Harrison.  I'd shift Bell back to the OF where he belongs.  I'd move Frazer to 2nd and he becomes a real leadoff hitter.  I'd look for a young stud 1st base, say Will Myers.  I'd acquire the best young pitcher possible.  And I'd look for a couple real prospects.

Basically, I'd be swapping Cole for Myers.  Both enter arb next year.  But Myers is not represented by Boras and is reportedly interested in a longer term contract with the Padres.  Cole will be gone in 2 years.

I truly believe that a lineup of

Frazer

Cutch (hoping for some sort of rebound)

Myers

Polanco

Bell

Freese/Kang

Jordy

Cervelli

Is a much better lineup. 

The FO was not afraid to mess around with a 98 win team.  Why should we be holding on to a .500 team?

Briefly - I no longer think this team is good enough to compete with the Cubs next year.  I think the above lineup with the right additions to the rotation can compete with the Cubs. 
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

See where you're coming from, not sure about trading Marte to fill a hole elsewhere. Seems like you're just moving a hole around to a different place.
rucker59@gmail.com

02303C3C281A39303D383730510 wrote: See where you're coming from, not sure about trading Marte to fill a hole elsewhere.  Seems like you're just moving a hole around to a different place.

Marte is darn good and as a result would bring a good return. Two things: 1) Marte takes too many plays off. Can be really frustrating. 2) we have OF depth but 1st is once again a work in progress; let's use some of the depth to improve the overall team. Bell takes over for Marte. Myers (I wish) adds a real 1st base.

Marte's 10 HRs are blown out of the water: Bell and Myers are both potentially 30 HR guys.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Another brutal loss to end a brutal homestand.

Losing this pitching matchup is just inexcusable. This game HAD to be a win. But I think most of us felt it would probably not happen because Cole has basically fallen off a cliff. He's not the Gerrit Cole we have known over the last 3 years. And it's KILLING this team right now.

So now, on the heels of a 1-5 homestand, it's off to Milwaukee and Chicago. That should be fun.