Things the Bucs need to do now to prep for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

535A52434D370 wrote: I don't understand what Hanson has done that warrants him being used.   He's not a good AAA ballplayer.

Calling up guys who haven't succeeded in AAA just to see what they do makes no sense to me.   You can see what they're doing vs AAA pitching, or AAA hitters and it's not much!

His numbers both offensively and defensively at AAA closely resemble Josh Harrison's with the Pirates. Getting a look at Hanson to see if he could possibly replace Harrison is not such a terrible idea even if it is a long shot. There's also the chance he could get hot and increase his value as a trade chip. With the Pirates likelihood of making the WC becoming more remote by the minute why not take a look at Hanson on the MLB stage? Couldn't hurt.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If he is going to be another Harrison, I wouldn't play him either. Just let him pinch run.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

5358505C5958430600774E565F5858195458370 wrote: Everyone on the team should be better next year than this year. 

It's illogically hopeful to think everyone will perform better. It's that hopeful line of thinking that has the Pirates where they are today. As a person smarter than me says.....hope is not a plan.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6A4A5944452B0 wrote: Everyone on the team should be better next year than this year. 

It's illogically hopeful to think everyone will perform better.  It's that hopeful line of thinking that has the Pirates where they are today.  As a person smarter than me says.....hope is not a plan.

I say that because of the experience and age of the team. I also think some key pieces had bad years and they will improve. I am not basing that on hope.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: Everyone on the team should be better next year than this year. 

It's illogically hopeful to think everyone will perform better.  It's that hopeful line of thinking that has the Pirates where they are today.  As a person smarter than me says.....hope is not a plan.

I say that because of the experience and age of the team. I also think some key pieces had bad years and they will improve. I am not basing that on hope.

Show me one time in the history of baseball all 25 guys performed better and I'll stop laughing and believe you.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Dog is a buy and hold type of man .I like that .

History shows that way of investing works .

Im ready to move half the team but i dont know anything .Im just a fan.

Stick to your guns Dog . :)
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7D767E7277766D282E596078717676377A76190 wrote: Everyone on the team should be better next year than this year. 

But that didn't happen last year or this year
dogknot17@yahoo.co

History has shown guys peak between ages 28-30. The Pirates will have five main position players in that range next year. Only Bell, Polanco, and Cervelli are out of that range.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7C777F7376776C292F586179707777367B77180 wrote: History has shown guys peak between ages 28-30. The Pirates will have five main position players in that range next year. Only Bell, Polanco, and Cervelli are out of that range.
And the history of baseball shows players have inconsistent seasons. Stats give us a fair idea of what we can expect from a player from year to year but there are many variables that come into play. It's foolishly optimistic to assume everyone will simply have a better year next year just because of their age and experience. Look at any Pirate roster as far back as you want to go and you'll see some players did not perform up to expectations. That's only natural. Even in the 98-win season, Pedro, Walker, Locke and Morton did not do better than the year before. If the Pirates' plan is to sit tight and just assume everyone will have a better year next year, it will be another long season. It's fine to be a positive fan, but try not to lose sight of realism.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

212A222E2B2A317472053C242D2A2A6B262A450 wrote: History has shown guys peak between ages 28-30. The Pirates will have five main position players in that range next year. Only Bell, Polanco, and Cervelli are out of that range.

How's that research coming showing even once in the 100+ years of MLB a team had 25 guys improve from the previous year?

I'm still laughing......