9/16 Game 1 against the Reds Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

6265737B7562252950777D71797C3E737F7D100 wrote: So where's the outrage at Polanco not running hard out of the box in the 9th, leading to a DP?  Why is this type of bad base running worthy of less attention then when someone is too aggressive on the bases? 

I use to think (was I wrong?) that Polanco played hard every play.  He doesn't any longer.  Why?  Who or what changed his approach?  Is it a problem?

This is the type of play that should never be acceptable.
I've noticed that too. Lately Polanco has been a bit lackadaisical in the field and in running out plays to first. I hope he isn't picking up any lazy habits.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

252E262A2F2E357076013820292E2E6F222E410 wrote: Yes the error was on Vogelsong, but Jaso had an easier play to second.

Polanco probably thought it was caught. But he should stil be running. The less attention is there because it is just a hustle issue and not a mental error. Every player should run out every hit. No excuse.

You have to think running to third when not forced with the ball hit in front of you is worse than a guy thinking a ball was caught and stopped running.

Pirates win. Raise it.

Blaming the results of an error on the guy who didn't make the error is irrational.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

57726174686368696C64000 wrote: Yes the error was on Vogelsong, but Jaso had an easier play to second.

Polanco probably thought it was caught. But he should stil be running. The less attention is there because it is just a hustle issue and not a mental error. Every player should run out every hit. No excuse.

You have to think running to third when not forced with the ball hit in front of you is worse than a guy thinking a ball was caught and stopped running.

Pirates win. Raise it.

Blaming the results of an error on the guy who didn't make the error is irrational.

There's very little rational about this season it seems to me. Plenty of spin however.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

77524154484348494C44200 wrote: Yes the error was on Vogelsong, but Jaso had an easier play to second.

Pirates win. Raise it.

Did you see the play? Jaso tossed it to Vogelsong as Vogelsong was passed him. He had to reach awkwardly for it and it bounced off the heel of his glove. Jaso had an easier play to second in my opinion.

Players get unwarranted errors all the time. It has to go to someone.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

353E363A3F3E256066112830393E3E7F323E510 wrote: Yes the error was on Vogelsong, but Jaso had an easier play to second.

Pirates win. Raise it.

Did you see the play? Jaso tossed it to Vogelsong as Vogelsong was passed him. He had to reach awkwardly for it and it bounced off the heel of his glove. Jaso had an easier play to second in my opinion.

There is absolutely no way that play was Jaso's error. It was a simple toss to Vogelsong and he dropped it. So you would rather throw that ball to second than a much shorter flip to first?
thessy

Post by thessy »

537665706C676C6D6860040 wrote:

John Jaso is that you?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

69687362743433070 wrote: Yes the error was on Vogelsong, but Jaso had an easier play to second.

Pirates win. Raise it.

There is absolutely no way that play was Jaso's error. It was a simple toss to Vogelsong and he dropped it. So you would rather throw that ball to second than a much shorter flip to first?

I never said it was Jaso's error. All I said was that he had an easier play at second base. He had a straight throw instead of flipping the ball to a guy who was passed him.

Jaso spun all the way around, had to time the flip to a guy running past him. In my opinion, a straight throw to Mercer was an easier play.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6C494A4A5F7449414354260 wrote: Was Freddy reincarnated as Osushawn? Yea even I don't think the Pirates are still in it. 5 games back with 16 to play is just not realistic enough to think the Pirates can actually make up that kind of deficit. The 2-8 homestand was the nail in the coffin for the season last week. When you go a combined 1-6 against both the Brewers and Reds you don't deserve to make the playoffs period.
Quail

Post by Quail »

1C3B2A2E2B36093D2A2B2B364F0 wrote: Was Freddy reincarnated as Osushawn? Yea even I don't think the Pirates are still in it. 5 games back with 16 to play is just not realistic enough to think the Pirates can actually make up that kind of deficit. The 2-8 homestand was the nail in the coffin for the season last week. When you go a combined 1-6 against both the Brewers and Reds you don't deserve to make the playoffs period.

Freddy- even though I agree with you it still makes me sad to read that. :'(

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

65425357524F70445352524F360 wrote: Was Freddy reincarnated as Osushawn? Yea even I don't think the Pirates are still in it. 5 games back with 16 to play is just not realistic enough to think the Pirates can actually make up that kind of deficit. The 2-8 homestand was the nail in the coffin for the season last week. When you go a combined 1-6 against both the Brewers and Reds you don't deserve to make the playoffs period.

After our 2 game winning streak I looked at the schedules. (There's always that sliver of hope until the magic number says you're done). We still could overtake the Cards as we play them 3 more times. The Mets are the problem. They have an easy schedule whereas the Bucs final 9 games are with the Nationals, Cubs, and Cards. The Mets will make the playoffs. The only longshot is if the Giants collapse which could happen (although it's an even year...2010, 2012, 2014, 2016?) They do however have to play LA 6 more times and play 4 games in SD and the Padres play them tough.