Chris Sale

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Chris Sale

Post by Leyland1948 »

Sale would be a great improvement to the rotation but giving up 3 top prospects for him is an overpay I think!
mouse

Chris Sale

Post by mouse »

I don't see the Pirates making such a trade. It isn't in their DNA. And I think Glasnow alone will be as good as Sale in a year, with five or six more years of control. Adding Meadows and others as well makes no sense to me.
SammyKhalifa

Chris Sale

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0F28393D38251A2E393838255C0 wrote: I heard the Sox wanted Glasnow, Meadows and maybe even Hayes or Newman thrown in the mix as well. This would be a bold move to make but the Pirates have to do something to improve this team and put some kind of dent in finishing 25 games behind the Cubs. Adding Sale along with Cole and Taillon and keeping the core of the lineup will make the Pirates a better team going into 2017. The Pirates at some point have to go out and sign a starting pitcher or two. Guys like Cashner and Colon who were very affordable just got signed with the Pirates making no efforts at all to sign either guy. You can't just sit back and let good pitchers who are affordable and can help you just sign with other teams. The Pirates need pitching help and they need to change this team around some going into 2017. The less action they take the worse this team will end up being.

Ha. "Bold." Yeah, that's one way to put it.

We trade away everything and STILL finish behind the Cubs, and after that fails we're worse in the years after that.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Chris Sale

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't think you can trade Meadows if you don't sign McCutchen to another deal. That's a tough decision.
Quail

Chris Sale

Post by Quail »

0D0F151305600 wrote: I don't see the Pirates making such a trade. It isn't in their DNA. And I think Glasnow alone will be as good as Sale in a year, with five or six more years of control. Adding Meadows and others as well makes no sense to me.

I agree about it not being in the Pirates' DNA to make such a deal. I think you're overly optimistic about Glasnow though. Like all prospects he's a longshot to be a good major league player. His brief time with the Bucs this past season made it quite clear that he's got a lot of work to do before he can (if ever) dominate at the major league level. He needs an effective change of speeds pitch and his lower than expected velocity during his MLB debut suggests he has mechanical issues that need to be addressed. I sure hope your optimism is justified concerning him because there is almost no chance the Bucs will make a trade to obtain Sale.
Quail

Chris Sale

Post by Quail »

586A66667240636A67626D6A0B0 wrote: I heard the Sox wanted Glasnow, Meadows and maybe even Hayes or Newman thrown in the mix as well. This would be a bold move to make but the Pirates have to do something to improve this team and put some kind of dent in finishing 25 games behind the Cubs. Adding Sale along with Cole and Taillon and keeping the core of the lineup will make the Pirates a better team going into 2017. The Pirates at some point have to go out and sign a starting pitcher or two. Guys like Cashner and Colon who were very affordable just got signed with the Pirates making no efforts at all to sign either guy. You can't just sit back and let good pitchers who are affordable and can help you just sign with other teams. The Pirates need pitching help and they need to change this team around some going into 2017. The less action they take the worse this team will end up being.

Ha.  "Bold."  Yeah, that's one way to put it. 

We trade away everything and STILL finish behind the Cubs, and after that fails we're worse in the years after that. 

Or we can stand pat doing business as usual and STILL finish behind the Cubs. After that we'll be better than if we'd traded away "everything" so we can finish 18 games behind the Cubs instead of 28 games back.

I'd rather go with 3 years of Sale,Cole, & Taillon as my top three starters to give me a chance to compete while I still have a good core of position players. What happens after that is not my immediate concern.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Chris Sale

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

A lot of rumors / stories said the Pirates made the best offer for David Price, but Tampa said No. If that is true, then we know they at least tried once to make a big trade/move.

They have to think the rebuilding is over. A staff ace is the missing piece with two very good young starters in place. I sure hope they are thinking this way.

It still takes two teams to tango. Just because it has never happened doesn't mean it wasn't attempted.
SammyKhalifa

Chris Sale

Post by SammyKhalifa »

193D292124480 wrote: I heard the Sox wanted Glasnow, Meadows and maybe even Hayes or Newman thrown in the mix as well. This would be a bold move to make but the Pirates have to do something to improve this team and put some kind of dent in finishing 25 games behind the Cubs. Adding Sale along with Cole and Taillon and keeping the core of the lineup will make the Pirates a better team going into 2017. The Pirates at some point have to go out and sign a starting pitcher or two. Guys like Cashner and Colon who were very affordable just got signed with the Pirates making no efforts at all to sign either guy. You can't just sit back and let good pitchers who are affordable and can help you just sign with other teams. The Pirates need pitching help and they need to change this team around some going into 2017. The less action they take the worse this team will end up being.

Or we can stand pat doing business as usual and STILL finish behind the Cubs. After that we'll be better than if we'd traded away "everything" so we can finish 18 games behind the Cubs instead of 28 games back.

I'd rather go with 3 years of Sale,Cole, & Taillon as my top three starters to give me a chance to compete while I still have a good core of position players. What happens after that is not my immediate concern.

It just sounds a whole lot like the Diamondbacks Model.
Quail

Chris Sale

Post by Quail »

One trade involving two top prospects would turn the Pirates into the Diamondbacks? Well OK, but I'd rather use those prospects to get Chris Sale than give them away in a salary dump like Ramirez and McGuire as per the Pirates Model.
thessy

Chris Sale

Post by thessy »

50626E6E7A486B626F6A6562030 wrote: I heard the Sox wanted Glasnow, Meadows and maybe even Hayes or Newman thrown in the mix as well. This would be a bold move to make but the Pirates have to do something to improve this team and put some kind of dent in finishing 25 games behind the Cubs. Adding Sale along with Cole and Taillon and keeping the core of the lineup will make the Pirates a better team going into 2017. The Pirates at some point have to go out and sign a starting pitcher or two. Guys like Cashner and Colon who were very affordable just got signed with the Pirates making no efforts at all to sign either guy. You can't just sit back and let good pitchers who are affordable and can help you just sign with other teams. The Pirates need pitching help and they need to change this team around some going into 2017. The less action they take the worse this team will end up being.

It just sounds a whole lot like the Diamondbacks Model.

I understand why you're opposed to giving up such a potentially big part of the future, but personally I would rather they try to do something like that and fail (full well knowing the potential consequences) than continue their current path of treading water. If you feel they're on the path to being a legitimate contender with their current roster and farm system then by all means stay the course, I just don't think they going to be anything more than an also-ran in the wild card race and that that just isn't good enough. I would prefer 3 years of being a legit contender followed by the possibility of a 5-year rebuild over playing .500 baseball for the next 8 straight years.