Trade Cutch and Prospect to Tampa Bay for SP

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Walker had to be traded. McCutchen doesn't. Sad that you just look at the Walker trade and make your opinion. Huntington has done pretty well in his trades.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Maybe we should look at the Braves again. They move into a new stadium this year. The just signed Dickey and Colon to one-year deals, suggesting they want to start right in the new place. Cutch might help with that. The key is, are they interested enough to give up what NH would want.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

505B535F5A5B400503744D555C5B5B1A575B340 wrote: Walker had to be traded. McCutchen doesn't. Sad that you just look at the Walker trade and make your opinion. Huntington has done pretty well in his trades.

They got a lousy arm in return. That was a fail. I don't trust the guy to make a deal with his marquis player being sent out of town.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6C7C7D4A5C5C503F0 wrote: Walker had to be traded. McCutchen doesn't. Sad that you just look at the Walker trade and make your opinion. Huntington has done pretty well in his trades.

They got a lousy arm in return.  That was a fail.  I don't trust the guy to make a deal with his marquis player being sent out of town.

Yeah, it turned out to be a bad trade. But that one trade doesn't change my opinion considering all of his other trades.

Plus, teams knew Walker wasn't needed with Harrison signed long term. It probably hurt his trade worth. Still a bad trade, but other trades have been very good.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The Jason Bay trade wasn't very good.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

His deals have been a mixed bag. I find it hard to take someone seriously if they try to say his track record with trades was either great OR horrible.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: The Jason Bay trade wasn't very good.

Correct, one of his first trades. Bad for the Pirates. But if Moss produced for the Pirates, it wouldn't have been that bad. Moss produced after he left the Pirates. And you went back what seven years?

In acquiring Hanrahan, Byrd, Melancon, Burnett, Cervelli, Happ, Tabata, Olhendorf, Morton, Locke, McDonald, G. Sanchez, Snider, W. Rodriguez, Blanton, and Lee (and many more) the Pirates didn't give up value at all. All these guys played roles for the Pirates, maybe not all great, but played major roles.

Overall, it is my opinion that Huntington has won way more trades than lost. Huntington's worst trade is still Jose Bautista leaving. People bring up Bay, but Bautista was worse.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

7D4F43435765464F4247484F2E0 wrote: His deals have been a mixed bag.  I find it hard to take someone seriously if they try to say his track record with trades was either great OR horrible. 

+1
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

3338303C3938236660172E363F3838793438570 wrote: The Jason Bay trade wasn't very good.

Correct, one of his first trades.  Bad for the Pirates.  But if Moss produced for the Pirates, it wouldn't have been that bad.  Moss produced after he left the Pirates.  And you went back what seven years?

In acquiring Hanrahan, Byrd, Melancon, Burnett, Cervelli, Happ, Tabata, Olhendorf, Morton, Locke, McDonald, G. Sanchez, Snider, W. Rodriguez, Blanton, and Lee (and many more) the Pirates didn't give up value at all.  All these guys played roles for the Pirates, maybe not all great, but played major roles.

Overall, it is my opinion that Huntington has won way more trades than lost. Huntington's worst trade is still Jose Bautista leaving.  People bring up Bay, but Bautista was worse.

So, he wins in minor deals, but loses badly involving prime players which reinforces my comment on he is the last person I want making a deal involving Cutch. Have little faith he can make a good, sound deal that improves things.
Quail

Post by Quail »

4959586F7979751A0 wrote: The Jason Bay trade wasn't very good.

Correct, one of his first trades.  Bad for the Pirates.  But if Moss produced for the Pirates, it wouldn't have been that bad.  Moss produced after he left the Pirates.  And you went back what seven years?

In acquiring Hanrahan, Byrd, Melancon, Burnett, Cervelli, Happ, Tabata, Olhendorf, Morton, Locke, McDonald, G. Sanchez, Snider, W. Rodriguez, Blanton, and Lee (and many more) the Pirates didn't give up value at all.  All these guys played roles for the Pirates, maybe not all great, but played major roles.

Overall, it is my opinion that Huntington has won way more trades than lost. Huntington's worst trade is still Jose Bautista leaving.  People bring up Bay, but Bautista was worse.

So, he wins in minor deals, but loses badly involving prime players which reinforces my comment on he is the last person I want making a deal involving Cutch.  Have little faith he can make a good, sound deal that improves things.

Here's a list of trades (there may be others I've forgotten) that NH has made when he has had a significant trade chip to deal:

Freddie Sanchez for: Tim Alderson

Adam Laroche for: Argenis Diaz and Hunter Strickland

Jason Bay for: Andy Laroche, Bryan Morris, Craig Hansen, and Brandon Moss

Jack Wilson and Ian Snell for: Britt Lorin, Aaron Pribanic, Nathan Adcock, Ronny Cedeno, and Jeff Clement

Jose Bautista for: Robinson Diaz

Nate McLouth for: Jeff Locke, Charlie Morton, and Gorkys Hernandez

Joel Hanrahan for: Mark Melancon,Stolmy Pimentel, Ivan DeJesus, and Jerry Sands

Neil Walker for: Jon Niese

Mark Melancon for: Felipe Rivero and Taylor Hearn

Francisco Liriano for: Drew Hutchison

The players that I've bolded are ones that had some success with the Pirates commensurate with expectations after they were acquired. Of course Drew Hutchison and Taylor Hearn haven't really had an opportunity to prove their worth but in general the return that NH has gotten overall when dealing a player with some good established value has been much more miss than hit. Consequently I have serious doubts about his ability to obtain an adequate return if he deals Cutch.