Nova

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nova

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4B7975756153707974717E79180 wrote: Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman  1h1 hour ago

In addition to his $26M over 3 years, Nova has $2M per year in performance bonuses.

Let's hope he earns them!

Was there not a signing bonus then? Still a good deal.
SammyKhalifa

Nova

Post by SammyKhalifa »

My impression was that the $26 figure includes the signing bonus, so 3 years at 8 per season plus 2M signing bonus and performance incentives.
bbfbl

Nova

Post by bbfbl »

JollyRoger

Nova

Post by JollyRoger »

78796273652522160 wrote: Nice job NH! Now finish the trade for Quintana without giving up Meadows or Bell :D
Ditto!!
JollyRoger

Nova

Post by JollyRoger »

78796273652522160 wrote: Nice job NH! Now finish the trade for Quintana without giving up Meadows or Bell :D
Ditto!!
IABucFan

Nova

Post by IABucFan »

I like this deal. I really like this deal, actually. Cole-Taillon-Nova should form a solid 1-3. I would love to get Quintana. I just don't want to give anything up to get him. Don't the White Sox know they are just supposed to give him to us? That's how this works! That would make a solid 1-4 with Kuhl keeping the fifth spot warm until Glasnow is ready, which should give us a solid 1-5.
SammyKhalifa

Nova

Post by SammyKhalifa »

080003342207202F410 wrote: I like this deal.  I really like this deal, actually.  Cole-Taillon-Nova should form a solid 1-3.  I would love to get Quintana.  I just don't want to give anything up to get him.  Don't the White Sox know they are just supposed to give him to us?  That's how this works!  That would make a solid 1-4 with Kuhl keeping the fifth spot warm until Glasnow is ready, which should give us a solid 1-5.

Haha. However, now a trade involving Glasnow doesn't seem as out of the question considering Nova and Quintana would be locking up rotation spots for several years.
IABucFan

Nova

Post by IABucFan »

0E3C30302416353C31343B3C5D0 wrote: I like this deal.  I really like this deal, actually.  Cole-Taillon-Nova should form a solid 1-3.  I would love to get Quintana.  I just don't want to give anything up to get him.  Don't the White Sox know they are just supposed to give him to us?  That's how this works!  That would make a solid 1-4 with Kuhl keeping the fifth spot warm until Glasnow is ready, which should give us a solid 1-5.

Haha.  However, now a trade involving Glasnow doesn't seem as out of the question considering Nova and Quintana would be locking up rotation spots for several years. 

I know...but Glasnow has a chance to be REALLY good, like Cy Young worthy good.  I don't see that for Quintana.  I see Quintana as a #2 starter.  I realize people have different definitions of what that means, but what it means for me is that if you were to take 150 starters across MLB and rank them, 1-30 would be your #1s.  31-60 #2s and so on and so forth.  I see Quintana in that 31-60 range.  I see Glasnow as potentially being listed among the very best in the game at some point in the not too distant future.  Will he be Bumgarner or Kershaw?  I don't know.  But, I think he's got a better shot of getting there than Quintana.  Personally, I don't trade that guy.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nova

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think Taillon is the special talent.  I think he can be a Cy Young winner or in the talks. Taillon is a more polished pitcher, student of the game too (not saying Glasnow isn't a student of the game, I just don't know). 

Locking up Cole, having Taillon, Nova and Quintana would make it easier for me to trade Glasnow.  I still think Kuhl is good and think Hutchison can be solid with some tweeking.  That still leaves Kingham, Brault, Duncan, Cumpton (is he still around?), and Williams as depth.

PMike

Nova

Post by PMike »

181013243217303F510 wrote: I like this deal.  I really like this deal, actually.  Cole-Taillon-Nova should form a solid 1-3.  I would love to get Quintana.  I just don't want to give anything up to get him.  Don't the White Sox know they are just supposed to give him to us?  That's how this works!  That would make a solid 1-4 with Kuhl keeping the fifth spot warm until Glasnow is ready, which should give us a solid 1-5.

Haha.  However, now a trade involving Glasnow doesn't seem as out of the question considering Nova and Quintana would be locking up rotation spots for several years. 

I know...but Glasnow has a chance to be REALLY good, like Cy Young worthy good.  I don't see that for Quintana.  I see Quintana as a #2 starter.  I realize people have different definitions of what that means, but what it means for me is that if you were to take 150 starters across MLB and rank them, 1-30 would be your #1s.  31-60 #2s and so on and so forth.  I see Quintana in that 31-60 range.  I see Glasnow as potentially being listed among the very best in the game at some point in the not too distant future.  Will he be Bumgarner or Kershaw?  I don't know.  But, I think he's got a better shot of getting there than Quintana.  Personally, I don't trade that guy.

I agree. Andrew Fillipponi (on the FAN radio station) today was claiming that Quintana would slot in as the Pirates new ace and Cole would slide down. That is just categorically wrong. Cole had a better year 2 years ago than any Quintana has had. Cole has better stuff and has been way more dominant than Quintana. He also has much higher upside. Quintana is really good. The best thing about his is that he is consistent. Low three ERA every year. He But, he doesn't strike people out and relies on ground balls. That is not ace sorts of stuff. I would actually argue that Cole, Taillon and Glasnow all have more dominant stuff and higher upside than Quintana. Which is why I wouldn't not trade Glasnow for him.