Thoughts on the eve of 2017 Spring Training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5354424A4453141861464C40484D0F424E4C210 wrote: All the reports from the last two days are saying he will be late to Spring Training.  I am sure he can afford his fine.

I just don't see how anyone can know this.  We "expect him" until we hear something different.  But anyone of those jurisdictions are waiting to act. 

I don't know Korean Law, but I hope the Pirates do. I hope the Pirates have talked to his lawyer or Kang himself to know what is going on.

If he is suspended for a DUI by MLB, he would be the first in MLB history to my understanding. MLB just doesn't have rules or a process for DUIs.
mouse

Post by mouse »

MLB treats alcohol issues as a problem needing attention as opposed to automatic suspension. The system is set up to encourage a player to go through the counseling program. While this most recent incident was Kang's third under Korean law, it is his first for MLB. He has indicated a willingness to participate in the rehab program. Given that, I would be surprised if MLB suspends him (although I suppose an in-patient component to his rehab is always possible, meaning he would be gone a bit). I would be more concerned with the "trial," whatever that is. I think the Pirates are as well, and it played a factor in getting that infielder last week.