An idea for the fifth starter

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

5A7D6C686D704F7B6C6D6D70090 wrote: Yea there is no way they can justify him getting that 5th spot in the rotation after his last two performances. Especially after this start tonight. He has looked absolutely horrific out there. No team that is serious about winning like the Pirates say they are time and time again would put a guy like him in the rotation.

Red Sox might beg the Buccos to start Hutchison during the opening series in Boston.

The guy batting 9th got his 2nd hit of the spring tattooing a bases clearing triple in the first & he's up to .118 BA

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0B262B3A3D2C3B7B78490 wrote: Unfortunately it's going to be Hutchson. I don't think there's any doubt.

I'll still be surprised if the 5th starter isn't Brault.

Brault sent down.

Williams or Hutchison????

Hutchison.

I'm not a big fan of Williams but he seems like a better alternative to the perennially awful Hutchison (considering his career in Toronto and his ST as a Pirate). I fully expect Hutchison to get the scholarship in order to justify NH's excuse that they traded Liriano and 2 top prospects because they just wanted Hutchison so darned bad (and oh by the way, it was nice to unload Liriano's contract). But I'm still holding out hope I'm wrong. The logical decision was Brault or Williams with Hutchison going to the bullpen. Or if Hutchison was handed the job, Williams could go to the pen. Brault would not go to the bullpen as another LHP was the last thing that bullpen needs. So it still could be Williams starting. I'm doubtful but still hopeful.

After tonight I'm thinking Neil may have to start Williams.

The only thing worse then The "Trade" for Neil would be to be reminded of it with each failed start from Hutchison.

So I've changed my mind but only because this has been pretty embarrassing.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I sure am glad we went out and got Hutchison.

I've been campaigning for Brault all spring and I'm sticking with it. Not saying he's great by any means, but still think he's our best option.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Uncle Ray was just on ROOT, and speaking of Hutchison: "first inning was pretty rough but he did some good things in the 2nd and 3rd. He hit some bumps in the 4th when he got tired...." :D

OK, I'm back where I was - Hutchison is the 5th.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

On merit alone I would have Brault as the 5th starter with Williams in the pen. Hutchison and Hughes should not make the 25 man roster.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Hutchison had a bad outing.  His curve ball wasn't landing for strikes, but was pretty nasty.  He was leaving his fastball up and it was getting hit.  There was also some bloop singles landing in on some low pitches.  But then the blasts got him.

Based on experience, I think Hutchison still gets the nod.  He will be on a short leash.  I just fear he (or anyone) does the Jeff Locke meaning as soon as you think he is done, he throws a gem. 

Hutchison missed a big opportunity: A late game which probably had more viewers than usual, close to the start of the season and then he throws 40 pitches in the first inning.  Not good.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

343F373B3E3F246167102931383F3F7E333F500 wrote: Hutchison had a bad outing.  His curve ball wasn't landing for strikes, but was pretty nasty.  He was leaving his fastball up and it was getting hit.  There was also some bloop singles landing in on some low pitches.  But then the blasts got him.

Based on experience, I think Hutchison still gets the nod.  He will be on a short leash.  I just fear he (or anyone) does the Jeff Locke meaning as soon as you think he is done, he throws a gem. 

Hutchison missed a big opportunity: A late game which probably had more viewers than usual, close to the start of the season and then he throws 40 pitches in the first inning.  Not good.

I only watched the bottom of the third and top of the fourth because I wanted to hear NH. But from what I saw, Hutchison didn't have a bad outing. It was horrendous. There were at least two pitches where Cervelli set up outside and the pitch missed inside so badly, he had to reach across his body and catch it behind the batter. I realize we don't really have a viable option for fifth starter, but I honestly think they could find any number of guys at Altoona who could pitch better than Hutchison right now. I don't doubt that he has talent. I don't doubt that the Pirates brass is serious when saying they think there is something there. But whatever it is, they haven't found it yet. He got torched today. We can sugarcoat it any number of ways, but at this stage, I agree with the others. If he get's the fifth starter's spot, there was never any competition to begin with, and they should have just said as much.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

He's just been working on stuff all spring. Yesterday he was working on getting his neck twisting in and also backing up bases.

The start before was a warm-up, but last night he finally felt good about his backup angles on hits with runners on. Now, he's ready!
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: Hutchison had a bad outing.  His curve ball wasn't landing for strikes, but was pretty nasty.  He was leaving his fastball up and it was getting hit.  There was also some bloop singles landing in on some low pitches.  But then the blasts got him.

Not sure what you mean by "then the blasts got him"?  You're aware that he gave up two homers and a triple in the first inning right lol?   He was very nasty...And then in the first inning he got rocked haha.

He's not Jeff Locke.  He is done and has been done for a year.   That's why Toronto was lining up to DFA him before we traded prospects for him.   He's a bad pitcher.  A never has been.

What needs to happen is NH needs to cut him and stop with this embarrassing BS.   The FO wants so badly to be able to start him to justify NHs second terrible trade in two seasons, and the guy is so pizz-poor they're not going to be able to do that without alienating all fans not named Dogknot
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

What was the first terrible trade?