4/11 Taillon vs Davis

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by Ecbucs »

6D4F5C414247404F6C5B4D4D412E0 wrote: Tomorrow is Nova by the way.

And it's a rare early season "must-win."

You CANNOT get swept at home by the Reds as you are leaving for a 7-game trip to Red Sox, Cubs, Cards.

thanks, I don't know why I thought it was Kuhl, I had read Nova earlier. Getting swept by Reds would be bad, these guys aren't the Big Red Machine.
DemDog

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by DemDog »

Was at the game and came away total unimpressed by the Bucco bats. I think they left them in FLA. Couldnt get a hit with guys on base to save their butts.

But speaking of Polanco and his fielding. I think we need to get used to him looking kinda shaky out there. He is to tall and lean he will look that way. As he matures he will get better results but will still look kinda shaky. But the play that impressed me a lot when it comes to fielding. I believe it was in the 4th. Sinking liner to Polanco and he races in to make the catch. His off balance throw into second to get the runner there rush back to second was way wide of the bag toward the mound. And guess who was there to back up the errant throw, none other than poor fielding Josh Bell. Shows me that he is learning to back up throws from left toward the middle of diamond.
Quail

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by Quail »

Of course it's very early in the season but the Bucco offense is worrisome. They currently are last in MLB in team extra base hits and have a .290 SLG %. Without Kang in the lineup, Cutch looking very much like his pedestrian 2016 self and Bell being more of an OBP kind of hitter than slugger thus far the Pirate lineup looks pretty anemic. Hopefully when the weather heats up so will the bats but right now they could sure use a guy with some real power in the middle of this lineup.
Bobster21

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by Bobster21 »

As opposed to, say, the Cubs where you look at their roster and take for granted they will be successful, optimism for the Pirates depends on a lot of "ifs." IF Cole, Cutch, Harrison and Cervelli bounce back. IF Kang returns or IF Freese fills in well. IF Kuhl handles the #4 spot well. IF Glasnow becomes effective. IF Watson handles the closer role. IF they can generate enough runs without power. IF the bench can be good like last year. We hope for most or all of these things. All are possible but none are assured. There's a chance this could turn to be a very good season. But there's also a pretty realistic chance they won't compete at all. These 1st 7 games might be a small blip on an otherwise great season. Or an unfortunate preview of things to come for these Bucs.
MaineBucs

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by MaineBucs »

My general take on the first 7 games of the season ---

Ouch!

They didn't look good when they won, and they haven't hit when they lost.

Going to Thursday's make-up game in Boston. I would like to be optimistic, but at present, my big hope is that at least one Pirate hitter can hit a long fly after the monster in left.

I know its early, but I hope that the current 'state of play' of the Pirates isn't what I have been waiting all off-season to see.
CarolinaBucco

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Cespedes Home Runs in the first 5 innings last night: 3

Pirates Home Runs this season: 3
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Marte is an outfielder and has a HR.

More quality starts than not.

Only two games behind wild card.

Time to pack it in. This season is over.
CarolinaBucco

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Pirates are 0-19 with RISP this series vs. Reds. Is it just me or does it seem like this is a storyline every season for the Pirates?

They can get the entire world on base ... but they rarely get the big hit to drive them home.

Incredibly frustrating.
IABucFan

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by IABucFan »

Well, I overreacted a bit last night. Sorry about that. I don't really think this is a 100 loss team. It was sort of tongue-in-cheek. Anyway, a bit of perspective...

1. 2002-we started 12-5, had a 2.5 game lead on the division as of Sunday, April 21, finished 72-89.

2. 2013-started 1-5, and we last below .500 when we were 7-8, finished 94-68.

3. 2014-low point on the year was when we were 10-18, last point below .500 was when we were 37-38, finished 88-74.

4. 2015-started 18-22 (including being 3-6 after nine games), finished 98-64.

5. 2016-started 4-0, finished 78-83-1.

Here's the point...your start doesn't define you. Our three playoff years all got off to slow starts. But then they hit their stride. We're doing our yearly dog and pony show where we look like a t-ball team with the bats, and make mediocre pitchers look like some combination of Cy Young, Nolan Ryan, Walter Johnson, and Tom Seaver.

If, IF, they can find it, this team has talent across the board. I agree with Bobster...it's a lot of "ifs" that need to happen. But, it's not like the 1997 Freak Show team, "If Al Martin has a good year, if Kevin Polkovich comes up and performs well. If Francisco Cordova pitches well." These are all realistic "ifs." Gerrit Cole has been great before. Cutch has been great before. Marte and Polanco have the skill set to be great. They aren't out of the realm of possibility.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Indians, Rangers, Dodgers, Yankees, and Giants are now having a fire sale. Maybe the Pirates can get on that action since those teams are ready to rebuild too after seven games?

What is Quintana worth now with his 6+ ERA and all the extra base hits he has given up? Maybe throw Taillon in with Meadows and Bell?

I don't know what to do. Just trying ideas to fix this season before it gets out of hand.