5/1 game vs Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Its dumb not walking Hamilton with a base open.  Cozart is one for his last fourteen with five strike outs.  He saw sixteen pitches tonight too. 

Walking Hamilton makes a force play at every base.  I have no idea why managers never do that? 

It would have been great to steal this game since they didn't hit at all. This is a big week.
skinnyhorse

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by skinnyhorse »

Not sure why Hurdle doesn't bring him in earlier and get this thing over quick. We never had a chance from the start not with the dynamic Reds and Hurdle at the helm.
CarolinaBucco

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Here we go again ...

Now 0-4 vs. the Reds.

Hudson is terrible.

Gooselin has no business being on the field.

Gift has to start.

We lost a pitching matchup that heavily favored the Pirates.

And tomorrow ... Glasnow.
SteadyFreddy

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by SteadyFreddy »

This is going to be the pattern with this team fellas get use to it. They might win 3 or 4 in a row and then they will turn right back around and lose 3 or 4 in a row. The Bucs so far through 13 games played within the division are 4-9 and are 0-7 against both the Reds and Cardinals. Simply not good enough and you can't be expected to be able to compete consistently in thus division with those kind of results.
Arrowreb

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by Arrowreb »

Glasnow next....Hamilton and his teammates will steal 8 bags against the Pirates. Since TG has problems controlling the run game, shouldn't we adjust the rotation to have him pitch against anybody but the Reds? Were trying to build his confidence on the mound, but starting him against the Reds seems likes a disaster awaiting to happen. Just push him back two days.... Bring up an Indy pitcher for one start. God I hope I'm wrong.
Bobster21

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by Bobster21 »

4D7E7E637B7E696E0C0 wrote: Glasnow next....Hamilton and his teammates will steal 8 bags against the Pirates.  Since TG has problems controlling the run game, shouldn't we adjust the rotation to have him pitch against anybody but the Reds?  Were trying to build his confidence on the mound, but starting him against the Reds seems likes a disaster awaiting to happen.  Just push him back two days....  Bring up an Indy pitcher for one start.  God I hope I'm wrong.
I suspect Glasnow will walk Hamilton at least once (depending on how many innings he lasts) so that Hamilton can get his SBs.
Bobster21

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by Bobster21 »

7E757D7174756E2B2D5A637B7275753479751A0 wrote: Its dumb not walking Hamilton with a base open.  Cozart is one for his last fourteen with five strike outs.  He saw sixteen pitches tonight too. 

Walking Hamilton makes a force play at every base.  I have no idea why managers never do that? 

Actually a lot of managers do that. It's conventional wisdom to set up the force when the potential winning run is already at 2B and the runner who would be put on 1B is meaningless. But Hurdle's skills as a tactician have always been suspect. For some strange reason going back a few years now, Hurdle's primary objective seems to be resting players. A couple years ago when Cutch was going great and the Bucs had a key series, Hurdle would give him a 'scheduled off day." Doesn't look like extra rest is making him better as he gets older. With Buc bats generally silent all season so far, he sits Osuna 2 games following a 4-hit game. With Ngoepe seemingly the only infielder competent with the glove (and even hitting well), he sits him so that his worst players can start. I guess the joke was on the Cubs last year when they had to play all those post season games while the Pirates got to stay home and rest.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/1 game vs Reds

I don't see it enough. Hamilton meant nothing. Managers like their pitchers to get the batter. I like making that easier by giving my fielders easier plays on the base paths.

It is clearly a platoon in RF with Osuna and Jaso. Osuna is batting .167 vs right handed starting pitchers. Even if Jaso isn't hitting, Hurdle is playing the percentages, like almost every other manager. The main issue is that they should be at 1B and Bell should be in RF.

More balls were hit to Gosselin at 2B than Harrison at 3B. That was the worst thing Hurdle did last night as that cost the Pirates the game.
CarolinaBucco

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by CarolinaBucco »

From Bobster: With Buc bats generally silent all season so far, he sits Osuna 2 games following a 4-hit game. With Ngoepe seemingly the only infielder competent with the glove (and even hitting well), he sits him so that his worst players can start.

This is my single biggest problem with Hurdle right now.

How he's got Gift on the bench when we are BLEEDING ERRORS at 2nd base is beyond me.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/1 game vs Reds

587A69747772757A596E7878741B0 wrote: From Bobster: With Buc bats generally silent all season so far, he sits Osuna 2 games following a 4-hit game. With Ngoepe seemingly the only infielder competent with the glove (and even hitting well), he sits him so that his worst players can start.

This is my single biggest problem with Hurdle right now.

How he's got Gift on the bench when we are BLEEDING ERRORS at 2nd base is beyond me.

I would start Gift right now, but you do realize that Gift is a career .232 hitter in the minors and Gosselin is a career .275 hitter in the majors. If Gosselin is going to play, he needs to be at 3B.

I am starting Gift until he stops hitting. It probably will happen. I hope it doesn't, but how many .232 minor leaguers finally find out how to hit after nine seasons? Gift batted .217 last year and was hitting .241 before his call up.

Do you want the bat or the glove in the line up? They need both.