July 31 trade deadline

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

July 31 trade deadline

Post by steve49 »

4A5A5B6C7A7A76190 wrote: That would be a terrible return for Cole and a poor decision for this organization.  Bell looks like he will be just fine.

I think trading Cole this deadline would be a huge mistake and I hope they don't do it.  No reason this staff couldn't win a the division in 2018.

It's not a huge mistake to deal him at all.  This could be the year his value at the TDL might be at its highest peak.  He is under control for two more years at well below the market price.  That in itself brings a huge return.  He very well could be the top pitcher on the market.

We aren't close to winning a division title in 2018.  We aren't now.  Winning a 2018 title means our management has to go out and shell out money to bring in good talents, not washed up reclamation projects.

Yep to the above. There is no way the Pirates will ever sign Cole to his 2nd contract. The strength of the system is in the lower level pitching prospects. No WS appearance in 2018 as you say. That said and it's a given that it's all true , why in God's name would you not deal him when his market is at the top ?
Speedloader88

July 31 trade deadline

Post by Speedloader88 »

Let me ask this.  Would you sign with a team that can not win games?  Honestly, I would not consider signing and extension with a black hole of a team.  Stats mean something come contract time.  He has a 3.07 ERA this season with one (1).......uno (1 for my Spanish amigos) win.  No..... unfortunately, we must trade him in the hope that in the eternity of tomorrows we will be building for the future......... because "NOW" never comes for this franchise!  Thanks #NuttingsWallet
dogknot17@yahoo.co

July 31 trade deadline

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0C2F3A3A3B33303E3B3A2D67675F0 wrote: Let me ask this.  Would you sign with a team that can not win games?  Honestly, I would not consider signing and extension with a black hole of a team.  Stats mean something come contract time.  He has a 3.07 ERA this season with one (1).......uno (1 for my Spanish amigos) win.  No..... unfortunately, we must trade him in the hope that in the eternity of tomorrows we will be building for the future......... because "NOW" never comes for this franchise!  Thanks #NuttingsWallet

I understand your point, but the bad teams sign players all the time. The Pirates did sign Burnett, Liriano, and Nova over the last few years. Do they not want to win? Why did they sign?

Cole is a little different. He is still under control. He should have signed an extension last year. He can't go anywhere and the Pirates get to decide what to pay him. Why not get a better deal if you are stuck with the "said to be" bad team?
SammyKhalifa

July 31 trade deadline

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0A293C3C3D3536383D3C2B6161590 wrote: Let me ask this.  Would you sign with a team that can not win games?  Honestly, I would not consider signing and extension with a black hole of a team.  Stats mean something come contract time.  He has a 3.07 ERA this season with one (1).......uno (1 for my Spanish amigos) win.  No..... unfortunately, we must trade him in the hope that in the eternity of tomorrows we will be building for the future......... because "NOW" never comes for this franchise!  Thanks #NuttingsWallet

I don't think he'll sign here either, but your statement that this is "a team that can not win games" . . . . well, I'll just take that as an expression of frustration with the season which is understandable.
rucker59@gmail.com

July 31 trade deadline

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4249414D4849521711665F474E4949084549260 wrote: Correct, we don't have the money if he just hits free agency.  I get that.  That isn't what I said.  Again, I don't know if there were ever talks, but Cole should have signed to get through his arbitration years and one year of free agency.  That would have been the smart move in my opinion.

Yes, he is the Pirates biggest chip to deal.  I disagree about him not being elite.  He is very, very good.  I don't really believe in the rotation slotting, but he would be every teams' top one - three pitcher depending on the team. 

One more thing: His team has missed the Playoffs once in his career.  No team has made the playoffs more than his current team since he has joined the league.

Forget it - Boras does not do this kind of deal.  And even if he did, my guess is it would cost a lot closer to $40M than $30M.  Boras won't even take the phone call the Pirates are not going to make.
rucker59@gmail.com

July 31 trade deadline

Sitting on Cole to gain 1 season (2018) will be the dumbest thing this organization can do. 

Waiting to deal him at trade deadline 2018 would be dumb as well.  His value will never be higher then now.  Call the Yankees today Neil while they are still in the race.  Come July they may not be. 

Then start working the phones for Cutch and Marte/Polanco (one or the other, not both)..
SammyKhalifa

July 31 trade deadline

Post by SammyKhalifa »

505741494750171B62454F434B4E0C414D4F220 wrote: Sitting on Cole to gain 1 season (2018) will be the dumbest thing this organization can do. 

That depends.

How much were you willing to give up to gain 1/2 season of David Price?
rucker59@gmail.com

July 31 trade deadline

784A46465260434A47424D4A2B0 wrote: Sitting on Cole to gain 1 season (2018) will be the dumbest thing this organization can do. 

That depends. 

Quite a bit. But that was a totally different team then what we're looking at currently.

I don't think we can measure how much Cutch decline has impacted this team. We've replaced an MVP caliber player with a below average player. That's a huge loss.
Ecbucs

July 31 trade deadline

Post by Ecbucs »

6F687E76786F28245D7A707C7471337E72701D0 wrote: Sitting on Cole to gain 1 season (2018) will be the dumbest thing this organization can do. 

That depends. 

Quite a bit.  But that was a totally different team then what we're looking at currently.

I don't think we can measure how much Cutch decline has impacted this team.  We've replaced an MVP caliber player with a below average player.  That's a huge loss.

unfortunately for the team if Cutch doesn't turn around his season soon he is going to leave after this season for nothing.
SammyKhalifa

July 31 trade deadline

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4245535B5542050970575D51595C1E535F5D300 wrote: Sitting on Cole to gain 1 season (2018) will be the dumbest thing this organization can do. 

That depends. 

Quite a bit.  But that was a totally different team then what we're looking at currently.

I don't think we can measure how much Cutch decline has impacted this team.  We've replaced an MVP caliber player with a below average player.  That's a huge loss.

Yeah, I can see that, and I'm halfway on board with you. I can also see a scenario where we turn things around, are like 3 games back next July, and we're all bemoaning that the cheap nuttings dumped our best pitcher.