Kang Lost Appeal

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Kang Lost Appeal

Post by PMike »

7279717D7879622721566F777E7979387579160 wrote: The Pirates will still owe his rights.  I am assuming he will miss 2018 too.  Then he will be 32 years old.  Can he play in Korea?  Two years away form baseball can be a big blow.  His days are probably numbered as a major leaguer.

I expect he will go back and resume his career in the KBO. Lots of guys have played in the majors with indictments. The problem is he is in another country and needs a visa. His chances of playing in the major leagues are over.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kang Lost Appeal

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7E6347454B2E0 wrote: The Pirates will still owe his rights.  I am assuming he will miss 2018 too.  Then he will be 32 years old.  Can he play in Korea?  Two years away form baseball can be a big blow.  His days are probably numbered as a major leaguer.

I expect he will go back and resume his career in the KBO.  Lots of guys have played in the majors with indictments.  The problem is he is in another country and needs a visa.  His chances of playing in the major leagues are over.

Do the Pirates have to release him form his deal? Can he sign with the KBO?

I think it would be foolish for the Pirates to release him. They aren't paying him. He isn't active. They can wait this out and see what happens.
SammyKhalifa

Kang Lost Appeal

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7C777F7376776C292F586179707777367B77180 wrote: The Pirates will still owe his rights.  I am assuming he will miss 2018 too.  Then he will be 32 years old.  Can he play in Korea?  Two years away form baseball can be a big blow.  His days are probably numbered as a major leaguer.

I expect he will go back and resume his career in the KBO.  Lots of guys have played in the majors with indictments.  The problem is he is in another country and needs a visa.  His chances of playing in the major leagues are over.

Do the Pirates have to release him form his deal?  Can he sign with the KBO? 

I think it would be foolish for the Pirates to release him.  They aren't paying him.  He isn't active.  They can wait this out and see what happens. 

Yeah, I'd let him hanging for a while (out of spite really). 

If it comes down to it, I imagine they can do a money deal with the team that wants to sign him, much in the same way MLB teams do when they want a player under contract from one of the asian leagues.

EDIT--Thought of something else. Don't know if the rules allow it, but how about a "trade" for one of the players on one of the Korean teams? That would be fun to follow.
fjk090852-7

Kang Lost Appeal

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am not sure if the Bucs released him from their contract that he could play for the KBO. They did not want him on their their team for the World Baseball Classic. He may be out of luck for playing any baseball.
Ecbucs

Kang Lost Appeal

Post by Ecbucs »

636F6E353C353D30372832050 wrote: I am not sure if the Bucs released him from their contract that he could play for the KBO. They did not want him on their their team for the World Baseball Classic. He may be out of luck for playing any baseball.
could be he is done. I don't know what countries would allow him to play although I imagine his agent and perhaps teams from countries that would allow him are working on it.
SCBucco

Kang Lost Appeal

Post by SCBucco »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: The Pirates will still owe his rights.  I am assuming he will miss 2018 too.  Then he will be 32 years old.  Can he play in Korea?  Two years away form baseball can be a big blow.  His days are probably numbered as a major leaguer.

Do the Pirates have to release him form his deal?  Can he sign with the KBO? 

I think it would be foolish for the Pirates to release him.  They aren't paying him.  He isn't active.  They can wait this out and see what happens. 

It is foolish for the Pirates to keep him, at this stage if this continues to drag out more. It doesn't matter if they are paying him or not. It's time to start looking for a longer-term solution at 3B. Kang is a virtual unknown relative to when he could be back. Missing two years ... that isn't anything good.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kang Lost Appeal

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I really disagree. What if they release him and then he is allowed to come over to play baseball?

He isn't hurting the team with a roster spot or salary. There is no reason to release him. If he wants to play (or can play) MLB again, he comes to the Pirates or someone has to make a trade for him.

The Pirates can still find a long term 3B option and they should. But if the unexpected happens, Kang is a Pirate and owned by the Pirates.
SammyKhalifa

Kang Lost Appeal

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I wouldn't just release him. No way. This is why the Restricted List even exists in the first place.
SCBucco

Kang Lost Appeal

Post by SCBucco »

7F747C7075746F2A2C5B627A7374743578741B0 wrote: I really disagree.  What if they release him and then he is allowed to come over to play baseball?

He isn't hurting the team with a roster spot or salary.  There is no reason to release him.  If he wants to play (or can play) MLB again, he comes to the Pirates or someone has to make a trade for him. 

The Pirates can still find a long term 3B option and they should.  But if the unexpected happens, Kang is a Pirate and owned by the Pirates.

So, if this drags on into 2018 and he doesn't make it back, you still keep him? There will come a point in time where the Bucs need to cut bait if this continues for greater lengths.
BenM

Kang Lost Appeal

Post by BenM »

I've come to the conclusion that I don't care what happens to Kang. He screwed up multiple times and I don't think the fact that he is a gifted athlete should play a role in the decision on his visa.

Take away the name. Should someone with multiple DUIs, accused of attempting to leave the scene of a crime, who didn't kill people only because he ran into a lane divider and who is on probation in his home country be allowed in the US?

I vote no. And I'm a bleeding heart liberal who thinks immigration in general is a good thing.