5/25 game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

5/25 game

Post by johnfluharty »

5B4B4A7D6B6B67080 wrote: Nova's resigning was a good one.  He continues to pitch well.  If he played for a better team, he would be in the conversation for the Cy Young Award at this stage IMO.

A few guys having big series against the Braves - Frazier and Mercer for certain.

As for Colon, he needs to be put out to pasture and shot.  He is done.  Funny thing, I saw his Kinston Indians debut in an exhibition game when I was worked for East Carolina University.  That was a while ago.

Geez you must be nearly as old as Possum. ;D
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/25 game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It's nice to see Mercer hitting. He is up to .240 now.
SammyKhalifa

5/25 game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

53 pitches
ScottinMass

5/25 game

Post by ScottinMass »

4E7C70706456757C71747B7C1D0 wrote: 53 pitches
he may have to finish his work in the bullpen after the game. :)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/25 game

414443454D475E434A595F522B0 wrote: It's funny how it can take a long time for a player to overcome their reputation. But I'm sold on Frazier. He's not in the "utility guy" bucket anymore. He's in the "this one has to be in the lineup" bucket. Even if he settles down to "only" hit .280 with 10 HR's in a season.

I agree.  Does he make Harrison available in trade or does he stay in the outfield with McCutchen probably being moved?

(Or Mercer?  I do doubt he is looked at as a future SS)

I'd prefer to keep Harrison around if he isn't too expensive.  Mercer I can live without.

Harrison is due to make $10.25 million next year, then $10.5 in 2019, $11.5 in 2020. The Pirates didn't think Neal Walker was worth that at the same age. Harrison pushed Walker out. Will Frazier push Harrison out? I don't know, just asking. Harrison could be a good trading chip in two months.
mouse

5/25 game

Post by mouse »

It's unfortunate, but salary does seem to be a big factor in deciding who stays and who goes.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/25 game

6A68727462070 wrote: It's unfortunate, but salary does seem to be a big factor in deciding who stays and who goes.

It makes sense. If you can get someone just as good who is younger and cheaper, why wouldn't you do it? Harrison is a perfect example. He earned his chance and Walker was becoming a free agent. No need to go shop for another player. Harrison is next up. This is what good farm systems do. The best case scenario is having a younger guy ready to take over. Harrison did that. I prefer Walker, but totally understand the situation.

Now 7-2 Pirates. Nova is approaching 90 pitches with a longer 8th inning. He sure would help the bullpen if he can finish this.
rucker59@gmail.com

5/25 game

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Crazy - I like this lineup. I like this outfield better than any that's been on the field this season. I like Gift at 2nd. I like the idea of trading "the best OF in baseball", reaping the harvest, and letting these young guys develop AND play with heart.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/25 game

Good game for sure. I don't know how many balls were hit to the outfield. I did see Harrison's great catch.

I don't want Osuna over Polanco, Marte or McCutchen.
rucker59@gmail.com

5/25 game

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

444F474B4E4F541117605941484F4F0E434F200 wrote: Good game for sure.  I don't know how many balls were hit to the outfield.  I did see Harrison's great catch. 

I don't want Osuna over Polanco, Marte or McCutchen.

Short term.  Meadows is the future. 

All I'm saying is that a game like this makes ms realize that our OF has not been anything special since 2015.  They're probably overvalued. Trade 'em for a king's ransom in quality pitchers and a couple bats.

Move the Pirates WS championship to 2019 and an extended period of true excellence.

And i've changed my mind - keep Harrison.  He would be moved only because of $$$, but the payroll is going to be reduced significantly so they can afford him.  JHay is as valuable in the club house as he is on the field.  Let he and Cerville create the culture for this team.