1/3 of the way through

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

1/3 of the way through

Post by Bobster21 »

13212D2D390B28212C292621400 wrote: So, you think Kang and Marte playing would have made no impact?
Sure they would but nearly not as much as you think they would
This team is very flawed and neither of them would be enough to overcome that in my opinion

All teams have flaws, perhaps this one more than most, but take the two middle-of-the-lineup hitters out of the team and ANY team would show those flaws more. 

Now that aside, things happen but we haven't exactly done much to try to repair the problems after they happened.
I think that's the issue. Losing two of the top players would be a big blow to any team. But I wonder how many teams that considered themselves contenders would fail to address such a huge problem.
Ecbucs

1/3 of the way through

Post by Ecbucs »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: So, you think Kang and Marte playing would have made no impact?
Sure they would but nearly not as much as you think they would
This team is very flawed and neither of them would be enough to overcome that in my opinion

All teams have flaws, perhaps this one more than most, but take the two middle-of-the-lineup hitters out of the team and ANY team would show those flaws more. 

Now that aside, things happen but we haven't exactly done much to try to repair the problems after they happened.
I think that's the issue. Losing two of the top players would be a big blow to any team. But I wonder how many teams that considered themselves contenders would fail to address such a huge problem. 

I think the answer of contenders failing to address is zero. Considering this happened so early in the season my thinking is the team decided they are not real contenders this year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1/3 of the way through

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Or they had no other real options? Washington lost Adam Eaton early on and didn't trade for anyone either.

The Pirates, like Washington, might have thought they can live without Marte for a while. Maybe the thought process was the division is going to be bad and they can float for half a season?
Ecbucs

1/3 of the way through

Post by Ecbucs »

4A41494540415A1F196E574F464141004D412E0 wrote: Or they had no other real options?  Washington lost Adam Eaton early on and didn't trade for anyone either. 

The Pirates, like Washington, might have thought they can live without Marte for a while.  Maybe the thought process was the division is going to be bad and they can float for half a season?

Could be the Bucs thought everyone else was going to be bad but that seems very risky to me (we have a chance but we are going to wait until August?) The Nats already had more options on their roster than the Bucs.  Maybe if the team was around 500 they would have made a move. They are a little lucky in that Ryan Zimmerman and Jayson Werth have  come back strong compared to last year.
Bobster21

1/3 of the way through

Post by Bobster21 »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote: Or they had no other real options?  Washington lost Adam Eaton early on and didn't trade for anyone either. 

The Pirates, like Washington, might have thought they can live without Marte for a while.  Maybe the thought process was the division is going to be bad and they can float for half a season?
When Eaton went down, the Nats were 16-7. They plugged Michael Taylor into CF and have gone 17-12 since while the rest of their division has been very bad. Second place is the Mets at 23-29. The Nats have steadily increased their lead to the current 10 games. They lead the NL in runs, HRs and RBIs. They have the best record in the NL and 2nd best in MLB. So there was no need for them to make any further move to replace Eaton. Totally different situation from the Pirates who struggle offensively, are in last place in their division but still within striking distance if they could somehow put some wins together. But they've won more than 2 in a row just 3 times and those were all limited to 3-game streaks. The Nats have to be elated with their situation. The Pirates need help.

And you can't possibly believe the Pirates knew the division would be weak and thought they wouldn't need to improve to stay close. Seriously? They knew the Cubs would be 25-27 now so they could just hang back? Is there nothing you won't say to defend them?
Tintin

1/3 of the way through

Post by Tintin »

1A382B36353037381B2C3A3A36590 wrote: Well at the 1/3 mark we're 24-30 ... on pace for 72-90. That sounds about right for this team, because it's not good.

And we've got nearly 40 more games without Marte, the rest of the season (most likely) without Kang, only 2 or 3 reliable starters in the rotation after Taillon returns (depending on how you feel about Cole), a decent bullpen, a bad closer, a bad offense, limited power and a rotten defense.

Honestly, it's a minor miracle we've won 24 games. It feels like it should be worse than that.

What's your gut? Will this team ever reach .500 again? I say no. I think 24-30 tells an accurate story of this team, and we are heading for 90 in the loss column. It's a shame, because so far the NL Central is very bad.

As usual, hope I'm wrong.

The only constant I've seen this season is that nothing has gone right.  Surely that can't keep happening right?

Edited to add: Tallion getting the diagnoses is a big moral killer.

When i was working for the Indians in spring training, one of the wives had a miscarriage. It was a very sad time and the players lost their spark for a while.

These guys Have a tight camaraderie and while baseball injuries are part of the game, I think baseball players have a harder time with the "regular" stuff. Perhaps it's because they are generally such healthy people and they have a hard time think that they are mortal and their bodies could turn on them like that. perhaps I'm thinking about this too much.
UtahPirate

1/3 of the way through

Post by UtahPirate »

4C71766C7176180 wrote: Well at the 1/3 mark we're 24-30 ... on pace for 72-90. That sounds about right for this team, because it's not good.

And we've got nearly 40 more games without Marte, the rest of the season (most likely) without Kang, only 2 or 3 reliable starters in the rotation after Taillon returns (depending on how you feel about Cole), a decent bullpen, a bad closer, a bad offense, limited power and a rotten defense.

Honestly, it's a minor miracle we've won 24 games. It feels like it should be worse than that.

What's your gut? Will this team ever reach .500 again? I say no. I think 24-30 tells an accurate story of this team, and we are heading for 90 in the loss column. It's a shame, because so far the NL Central is very bad.

As usual, hope I'm wrong.

The only constant I've seen this season is that nothing has gone right.  Surely that can't keep happening right?

Edited to add:  Tallion getting the diagnoses is a big morale killer.

When i was working for the Indians in spring training, one of the wives had a miscarriage.  It was a very sad time and the players lost their spark for a while. 

These guys Have a tight camaraderie and while baseball injuries are part of the game, I think baseball players have a harder time with the "regular" stuff.  Perhaps it's because they are generally such healthy people and they have a hard time think that they are mortal and their bodies could turn on them like that.  perhaps I'm thinking about this too much.

I thought the same thing. I worried more about this one than Marte because it was so personal to everyone. Marte was stupid. Taillon could have been a tragedy. I think we'll find out how important he is when he gets back. Another solid start last night at AAA and looks to get plugged in our rotation this week. I think we'd look so much better with one more solid pitcher in the rotation (especially if Williams continues to show he can make in 6 innings with minimal damage).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1/3 of the way through

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

755855444352450506370 wrote: Or they had no other real options?  Washington lost Adam Eaton early on and didn't trade for anyone either. 

When Eaton went down, the Nats were 16-7. They plugged Michael Taylor into CF and have gone 17-12 since while the rest of their division has been very bad. Second place is the Mets at 23-29. The Nats have steadily increased their lead to the current 10 games. They lead the NL in runs, HRs and RBIs. They have the best record in the NL and 2nd best in MLB.  So there was no need for them to make any further move to replace Eaton. Totally different situation from the Pirates who struggle offensively, are in last place in their division but still within striking distance if they could somehow put some wins together. But they've won more than 2 in a row just 3 times and those were all limited to 3-game streaks. The Nats have to be elated with their situation. The Pirates need help.

And you can't possibly believe the Pirates knew the division would be weak and thought they wouldn't need to improve to stay close. Seriously? They knew the Cubs would be 25-27 now so they could just hang back? Is there nothing you won't say to defend them?

Well, a few here said the Cubs won't be as good and the division as a whole won't be as good as years past. If I can think that or have that prediction, why can't the Pirates front office?

The Nationals took a risk too. Yeah, it worked out but it was still a risk. Big bounce back years helped them. The same could help the Pirates too.

BenM

1/3 of the way through

Post by BenM »

This team is so exhausting to watch.

It feels like they rarely get easy victories and everything is hard fought.