Nova versus Fish 6/11 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Post by steve49 »

052825343322357576470 wrote: I just wish they had realized that Rivero was a LOT better than Watson one week ago.
They realized it but the formula was etched in stone and it took a while to chisel a new tablet.  ;)

There was a lot of nonsense posted in this forum saying Rivero should stay in the 7th or 8th inning role. What I said was your best RP should be your closer.  Your BP at least has a chance when you do that . Furthermore you would be giving Rivero a huge financial screwing by not giving him the opportunity to close.
We'll see how much nonsense it was when they start letting games slip away in the 7th and 8th. What I've said all along is that they should use their relievers to the best advantage. If it looks like a game could get away in the 7th or 8th, Rivero may be the only one who can get out of the jam. And if there's still a lead to protect in the 9th after that, I'll take my chances with Nicasio. If there's a 9th inning lead and Rivero is available, let him nail it down. I agree with Hurdle's recent comments that when you save your best reliever to protect a 9th inning lead, you may not get there. I think it's ridiculous to see games get lost in the late innings while the best reliever sits by idly and doesn't participate unless there's a save stat to be had. Watson had to be pulled from the closer role. But I don't want to bury Rivero in that role either. Hurdle says he'll use Nicasio and Rivero in the late innings but not either one in an exclusive role. I hope he means it. 

It's nonsense . Nothing blows up a BP more than your closer imploding on a regular basis. Yes there are times when it might pay to have your closer pitch in the set up role but I'll agree with the majority of baseball teams (probably 30 out of 32)which have decided if you have a clearly dominant guy .. he's your closer.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

2B2C3D2E3D6C61580 wrote: I just wish they had realized that Rivero was a LOT better than Watson one week ago.
They realized it but the formula was etched in stone and it took a while to chisel a new tablet.  ;)

There was a lot of nonsense posted in this forum saying Rivero should stay in the 7th or 8th inning role. What I said was your best RP should be your closer.  Your BP at least has a chance when you do that . Furthermore you would be giving Rivero a huge financial screwing by not giving him the opportunity to close.
We'll see how much nonsense it was when they start letting games slip away in the 7th and 8th. What I've said all along is that they should use their relievers to the best advantage. If it looks like a game could get away in the 7th or 8th, Rivero may be the only one who can get out of the jam. And if there's still a lead to protect in the 9th after that, I'll take my chances with Nicasio. If there's a 9th inning lead and Rivero is available, let him nail it down. I agree with Hurdle's recent comments that when you save your best reliever to protect a 9th inning lead, you may not get there. I think it's ridiculous to see games get lost in the late innings while the best reliever sits by idly and doesn't participate unless there's a save stat to be had. Watson had to be pulled from the closer role. But I don't want to bury Rivero in that role either. Hurdle says he'll use Nicasio and Rivero in the late innings but not either one in an exclusive role. I hope he means it. 

It's nonsense . Nothing blows up a BP more than your closer imploding on a regular basis. Yes there are times when it might pay to have your closer pitch in the set up role but I'll agree with the majority of baseball teams (probably 30 out of 32)which have decided if you have a clearly dominant guy .. he's your closer.
Your so right Steve49, Nicasio should not be used as the closer period. I have little confidence in him in that role. Rivero should be the closer, appears CH is simply trying to save face by not putting Rivero in that role exclusively. It doesn't make me feel better about CH that he continues to try and justify his complete disregard for what was best for the team. That's what it looks like to me. Why can't we just try and win every game.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

40585A5D5D4A5B5C414056330 wrote: I just wish they had realized that Rivero was a LOT better than Watson one week ago.

Your so right Steve49, Nicasio should not be used as the closer period.  I have little confidence in him in that role.  Rivero should be the closer, appears CH is simply trying to save face by not putting Rivero in that role exclusively.   It doesn't make me feel better about CH that he continues to try and justify his complete disregard for what was best for the team.  That's what it looks like to me.  Why can't we just try and win every game.
The other day Hurdle said, ""We're going to use the bullpen to win games, not count saves."

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1238 ... minated-by

That would be a refreshing change. Now if someone could also explain to him that winning games should also have a higher priority than resting players.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Are players still allowed to run over a catcher? I actually forget the rule. I know you can't block the plate and have to give a path to the plate, but McCutchen had no chance as he was out by a mile. Is he allowed to lower his shoulder? Even if Buster (ugh, that guy) isn't catching?

Oh yeah, I hate running on contact too. Not sure when that was taught.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

343F373B3E3F246167102931383F3F7E333F500 wrote: Are players still allowed to run over a catcher?  I actually forget the rule.  I know you can't block the plate and have to give a path to the plate, but McCutchen had no chance as he was out by a mile.  Is he allowed to lower his shoulder?  Even if Buster (ugh, that guy) isn't catching?

Oh yeah, I hate running on contact too.  Not sure when that was taught.

On running on contact, bases were loaded. Cutch had to go. He could have stopped after the force was eliminated, but someone's coming down his back to third. He did the right thing. Just bad luck that Jaso put it right on the bag at third.

As for running down a catcher, it's not a great idea if the catcher has the ball an is moving toward third base. He's got on armor and has time to square up.

The best time to run over a catcher is when he's is stationary, blocking the plate and waiting on a throw (kind of like Poser was when he got hurt).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Ok, I didn't know bases were loaded.

I didn't say it was a good idea, I am asking if it is still allowed like before the Buster Poser (ugh, that guy) Rule.

I can look it up, I just thought I would ask here.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

353E363A3F3E256066112830393E3E7F323E510 wrote: Ok, I didn't know bases were loaded. 

I didn't say it was a good idea, I am asking if it is still allowed like before the Buster Poser (ugh, that guy) Rule.

They haven't changed that rule.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

6F646C6065647F3A3C4B726A6364642568640B0 wrote: Ok, I didn't know bases were loaded. 

Ok Dog, get with the program and pay attention to the game for crying out loud!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I hate two strategies more than others:

Infield In & Running On Contact.

There is only one situation I would have the infield in (bases loaded, no outs, winning run on third).

Scoring on a groundball from third should be read better. If hit hard, stay put. If fielder is running for the ball, then take off. Infield shifts really hurt running on contact.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I know that yesterday's game is generally old news when a new game is less than an hour away, but I do want to give a shout-out to McCutchen, who I have often been critical of as late.

It was great to see McCutchen hit a ball to the gap in RF and then run very hard out of the box and virtually fly around the bases like he did as a rookie to get a triple. He exhibited no signs of settling for a double, even though there were 2 outs, and because he hustled from his first step, he could have made it to third standing up. I may have been mistaken, but it struck me that it looked like he actually enjoyed playing ball again.

If this is a sign of things to come ---- Welcome Back Andrew, we sure can use you!