general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

McCutchen's drop off

Post by SammyKhalifa »

dogknot17@yahoo.co

McCutchen's drop off

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

What were McCutchen's good years like? Was he always just lucky?

I read that Harrison's 2014 season was one of the luckiest for a hitter. I didn't think luck played that big of a part of it (calculating luck has tobe tricky), but then 2015 and 2016 happened.

Is Cervelli's EV similar? He is the one that looks like he is stinging the ball with no results.
sdimmick3

McCutchen's drop off

Post by sdimmick3 »

McCutchen was removed last night in a double switch and Hurdles reasoning was he wasn't sure Cutches spot would come up again in the order.  Whatever it is, I like the move.  These guys let fastballs down the pipe go by like, I saw that pitch, oh well, lets move on and strikeout swinging on a curve.  Everyone knows any low curve/slider to cutch, he's not hitting it, so why is he not more aggressive early in the count.  The mentality some of these professionals have in the box is beyond me.   

I just don't get where he's gone.  Fangraphs has an excellent article on him, check it out.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-case-f ... mccutchen/ (didn't see the link above until after I posted this)

Not much optimism in this piece if you ask me.

fjk090852-7

McCutchen's drop off

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It appears that over the past month that Cutch has gotten back to the player we all came to appreciate. The trade deadline articles are still popping up, and if none of the Central Division teams are running away with the race at the end of July, and Cutch is still performing well the Bucs better not trade him. They better not tell the fans that a trade of Cutch is similar to trading Melancon last season. Melancon was a free agent at years end, Cutch has a team option for 2018 which they can invoke. In my opinion if they attempt to move him they better get two every day players and a pitcher who are all controllable for a few years.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

McCutchen's drop off

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It is looking like 2016 was just a bad season. It happens. I am so glad McCutchen is back. Meadows is done for a while, so I would keep McCutchen.
IABucFan

McCutchen's drop off

Post by IABucFan »

IDK...still time to decide, but plenty to consider. I thought it was interesting on the Sunday Night game against St. Louis, the ESPN commentators were saying that it could be a buyer's market when it comes to position players. There just aren't a lot of position player needs among contenders. Here are the possibilities I see:

A. Cutch is traded at or before the deadline. A couple of teams that I think might be interested would include the Yankees (just lost Fowler to a severe injury), Cubs (doubt we trade him in the division though) or Nationals (interested in the offseason, Eaton is out for the year, I believe).

B. Cutch is traded after the non-waiver deadline. I don't think this has a high probability of happening, because I have to think that someone would put a claim in on him, especially if he continues at this pace.

C. Pirates keep him this year and trade him in the offseason. Perhaps this is the most likely scenario, given that 1) they don't want to punt on the year...four games out is four games out and 2) even if we do somehow sneak into the playoffs, we'll be without Marte again. But, barring an injury or a return to stupidity, we should have Marte all of next year, including potentially the playoffs. That makes Cutch a bit more expendable.

D. We keep him and exercise his option next year. I don't really see this playing out, but perhaps...I suppose you never know.

At least the leverage has shifted to Neal Hungtington in any potential deal. Six weeks ago, we would have gotten virtually nothing for Andrew in a trade. Now, I have to believe that Neal could command a pretty substantial return, probably someone who is MLB ready, and another top prospect, maybe even two.
OrlandoMerced

McCutchen's drop off

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think it's shaping up for them to go ahead and keep McCutchen for 2018. If he finishes the year with an .850 OPS, he's easily worth the 14.5M. I was looking at the payroll this morning to try and make a case that they could conceivably be active in the FA market this winter. But, looking at the potential 2018 roster, they would need to spend on the bullpen, unless they start transitioning some of their guys to the bullpen (Kuhl).

They have around $90M and the following group under control:

McCutchen, Polanco, Marte, Freese, Harrison, Cervelli, Mercer, Nova, LeBlanc, Hudson, Cole, Rivero, Diaz, Taillon, Bell, Glasnow, Frazier, Kuhl, Brault, Williams, Osuna.
SammyKhalifa

McCutchen's drop off

Post by SammyKhalifa »

080003342207202F410 wrote:

A.  Cutch is traded at or before the deadline.  A couple of teams that I think might be interested . . . Cubs

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little
IABucFan

McCutchen's drop off

Post by IABucFan »

30020E0E1A280B020F0A0502630 wrote:

A.  Cutch is traded at or before the deadline.  A couple of teams that I think might be interested . . .  Cubs

Me too. I'm just trying to think of teams that are contenders that need an outfielder. Cubs come to mind. Schwarber has taken about three steps backwards this year. Almora doesn't do much for me. Jon Jay? No thanks against every team not named the Pittsburgh Pirates. I could see them asking. I could see us saying, "Rizzo, Bryant, and Russell," and we've got a deal!
notes34

McCutchen's drop off

Post by notes34 »

44767A7A6E5C7F767B7E7176170 wrote:

A.  Cutch is traded at or before the deadline.  A couple of teams that I think might be interested . . .  Cubs

I would seriously have to give up baseball, turn off all televisions, cancel my internet, throw my smartphone off the nearest bridge and live the life of a hermit. I couldn't bare seeing #22 in a Cubbies uniform. >:(