Nova v Arrieta - game 2

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nova v Arrieta - game 2

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

113C31202736216162530 wrote: Greg Brown is great. I love his excitement.

Why am I not surprised?

Do you not remember Lanny? 30 plus years and people didn't even know who he was. That's sad. Brown brought excitement for some bad teams. He is known as the voice of the Pirates. Lanny never had that title. Sad.
DemDog

Nova v Arrieta - game 2

Post by DemDog »

4E454D4144455E1B1D6A534B4245450449452A0 wrote: Greg Brown is great. I love his excitement.

Why am I not surprised?

Do you not remember Lanny? 30 plus years and people didn't even know who he was. That's sad. Brown brought excitement for some bad teams. He is known as the voice of the Pirates. Lanny never had that title. Sad.

Lanny was just a notch above Milo in my book. How he stayed around as long as he did ? Only thing he had going for him was his knowledge or stuff about US Presidents.
Ecbucs

Nova v Arrieta - game 2

Post by Ecbucs »

6E4F476E454D2A0 wrote: Greg Brown is great. I love his excitement.

Why am I not surprised?

Lanny was just a notch above Milo in my book.  How he stayed around as long as he did ?  Only thing he had going for him was his knowledge or stuff about US Presidents.

I thought Lanny was a pretty generic broadcaster. Milo was just bad although I think he is in Hall of Fame. Milo should have stayed with Braves, I don't know why Joe Brown thought Milo should be the one to replace Prince.

Brown always sounds fake to me which could just be a bias on my part. When I read about him it seems like he is a Pirate fan.
SammyKhalifa

Nova v Arrieta - game 2

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think it's a generational thing. I have a (probably unpopular) theory that if the Gunner came along now people would hate him. But people relate him to good things from times passed.

I grew up with Lanny in my childhood. In my mind he's the archetypical Baseball announcer.

Brown annoyed me at first. Now I like him. Not sure if he's toned it down or if I changed.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nova v Arrieta - game 2

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Brown grew up as a Pirates fan. Yes, he is a fan. So is Wehner. Wehner grew up in Carrick, PA.

I'm not old enough for Prince and Gunner. I grew up on Lanny. So, Brown is a joy.
SammyKhalifa

Nova v Arrieta - game 2

Post by SammyKhalifa »

One thing all of them need to do is SAY THE SCORE MORE OFTEN. You can tune in and listen to almost a whole inning without even know who's winning.
SteadyFreddy

Nova v Arrieta - game 2

Post by SteadyFreddy »

03242F0C410 wrote: Rivero is really good. Raise it!

This team is playing just well enough to convince me they have a shot at the division. I'm still not convinced of that just yet. This team is just too inconsistent and can never seem to put a much needed long winning streak of 7 or 8 games together. A win today would be nice to see as we would go into the break winning 5 of our last 6 games. Huge game today and a huge 7 games upcoming after the break with both the Cards and Brewers at home.
Speedloader88

Nova v Arrieta - game 2

Post by Speedloader88 »

I enjoy Greg Brown 90% of the time and can forgive him for when he does the fake laugh that drives me crazy. I like Block far better than my all time most annoying...... Tim Neveret! That guy absolutely drove me insane!!!! I listen to the radio broadcast 75% of the time and Neveret made every dang fly ball sound like a home run until the final second where it was caught 20 feet from the wall. I'd watch replays and see that the near home run calls were routine lazy fly balls. That guy was very nice human but a horrible play by play guy IMO.
UtahPirate

Nova v Arrieta - game 2

Post by UtahPirate »

52606C6C784A69606D686760010 wrote: One thing all of them need to do is SAY THE SCORE MORE OFTEN.  You can tune in and listen to almost a whole inning without even know who's winning.

During week-day games and when I have to stay at work late (keep in mind Bucco games usually start at 5:05 MT) I will listen on my computer to the TV crew and then if something exciting is going on I'll watch it for awhile. When Block is the play-by-play guy, I never know the count. Half the time I don't know that the pitcher has even thrown a pitch. Drives me totally nuts. He just talks about inane stuff and doesn't give any game details. Maybe he's better when he's on the radio side, but I' not a fan. I'm so relieved with Brown is in the booth. I have no history with other Pirate announcers but I really enjoy games called by Brown and Blass when they are together.
BenM

Nova v Arrieta - game 2

Post by BenM »

1C3B2A2E2B36093D2A2B2B364F0 wrote: Rivero is really good. Raise it!

This team is playing just well enough to convince me they have a shot at the division. I'm still not convinced of that just yet. This team is just too inconsistent and can never seem to put a much needed long winning streak of 7 or 8 games together. A win today would be nice to see as we would go into the break winning 5 of our last 6 games. Huge game today and a huge 7 games upcoming after the break with both the Cards and Brewers at home.

I actually agree with you. That win got me in an optimistic mood that I fully realize is probably Fool's Gold.