7/30 vs. Padres, Get your Sunday Lineup Here

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I think there is very little chance that he would sign a three-year deal unless it was a very generous one.  He is going to want 6 years and will probably ask for 7.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

If he's not traded, I don't expect Cutch to sign an extension. Nutting won't want to commit to that much money but won't want to take the heat for letting Cutch walk. More likely, they would make an offer that is a lot of money to the average fan but below market value and probably not for as many years as it would take. Cutch would refuse it and the FO could say they tried very hard to sign him but he turned them down. Of course they could always trade him after he turns down an offer and say he made it known re would not re-sign.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

654845545342551516270 wrote: If he's not traded, I don't expect Cutch to sign an extension. Nutting won't want to commit to that much money but won't want to take the heat for letting Cutch walk. More likely, they would make an offer that is a lot of money to the average fan but below market value and probably not for as many years as it would take. Cutch would refuse it and the FO could say they tried very hard to sign him but he turned them down. Of course they could always trade him after he turns down an offer and say he made it known re would not re-sign.

I'n not sure Cutch would sign even if they made him a good offer.  Their just isn't enough of a commitment to win.  The FO knew this team was going to have a hole at third and a hole in the OF and they did nothing to fill either one.  They want to win, but they are not really 'all-in', not even in a season when they should be, when the division looks to be easier to take and when we need to boost our TV ratings. 
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

515453555D574E535A494F423B0 wrote: If he's not traded, I don't expect Cutch to sign an extension. Nutting won't want to commit to that much money but won't want to take the heat for letting Cutch walk. More likely, they would make an offer that is a lot of money to the average fan but below market value and probably not for as many years as it would take. Cutch would refuse it and the FO could say they tried very hard to sign him but he turned them down. Of course they could always trade him after he turns down an offer and say he made it known re would not re-sign.

I'n not sure Cutch would sign even if they made him a good offer.  Their just isn't enough of a commitment to win.  The FO knew this team was going to have a hole at third and a hole in the OF and they did nothing to fill either one.  They want to win, but they are not really 'all-in', not even in a season when they should be, when the division looks to be easier to take and when we need to boost our TV ratings. 

Very true. If Cutch stayed, it would be for non-baseball reasons, i.e., if he liked the area, family concerns etc. Certainly not to win a WS with this regime.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Or because of the money. I wonder how high winning is on a player's mind/priority. Giancarlo Stanton signed for $300 million in Miami. He has never been on a winning team. The franchise alone has only had six seasons over a .500 record (only twice since he joined the organization). But he still signed.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2D262E2227263D787E093028212626672A26490 wrote: Or because of the money.  I wonder how high winning is on a player's mind/priority.  Giancarlo Stanton signed for $300 million in Miami.  He has never been on a winning team.  The franchise alone has only had six seasons over a .500 record (only twice since he joined the organization).  But he still signed.
Well sure, you can buy out a player's desire to win. It only cost Miami 300 mil. But no one is suggesting Bob Nutting would make Cutch an offer he couldn't refuse.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ego-wise, there's also probably something to be said for becoming the greatest Marlin Hero of all time; as opposed to signing elsewhere,

and being just yet another in a line Dodger/Yankee/etc. guys.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Stanton's only 27, and he has an opt out when he's 30. See then if he sticks around if the Marlins are bad.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote: Or because of the money.  I wonder how high winning is on a player's mind/priority.  Giancarlo Stanton signed for $300 million in Miami.  He has never been on a winning team.  The franchise alone has only had six seasons over a .500 record (only twice since he joined the organization).  But he still signed.

I doubt if Cutch will have the same option that Stanton had (sign one of highest contracts ever or wait for free agency)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

547974656273642427160 wrote: Or because of the money.  I wonder how high winning is on a player's mind/priority.  Giancarlo Stanton signed for $300 million in Miami.  He has never been on a winning team.  The franchise alone has only had six seasons over a .500 record (only twice since he joined the organization).  But he still signed.
Well sure, you can buy out a player's desire to win. It only cost Miami 300 mil. But no one is suggesting Bob Nutting would make Cutch an offer he couldn't refuse.

I agree. I am just saying that money talks more than winning now-a-days.