Serpico is back!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Serpico is back!

Post by SCBucco »

1D36372A3129301C2B3D3D315E0 wrote: Connor Joe

I would rather have seen Joe Connor go back. :)
SCBucco

Serpico is back!

Post by SCBucco »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: Interesting. With he and Freese both under contract next year, I wonder if this indicates the team does not expect Kang to return in 2018. I could see S-Rod starting at 3B with Freese as bench depth.

I'm pretty sure thats the feeling what this acquisition indicates. Was thinking the same thing when I saw it.
notes34

Serpico is back!

Post by notes34 »

I'm ok with this move. Even if SRod doesn't hit he is great defensively and will help keep Freese fresh. I just hope Hurdle doesn't take Bell out late in games for defense. Welcome back!
notes34

Serpico is back!

Post by notes34 »

2E252D2124253E7B7D0A332B2225256429254A0 wrote: Don't people want the payroll to increase?
Seriously just stop.
RichD

Serpico is back!

Post by RichD »

Pedro Alvarez could be a nice bench piece.Should not cost too much to get him from the O`s...Hitting his usual 240 ish with 25 Hr and 79 rbi in AAA..Heck he has been playing OF/3B/1B .

Lets put the band back together from those dominate Pirate teams from 13-15.
Bobster21

Serpico is back!

Post by Bobster21 »

0784349426E2A0 wrote: Pedro Alvarez could be a nice bench piece.Should not cost too much to get him from the O`s...Hitting his usual 240 ish with 25 Hr and 79 rbi in AAA..Heck he has been playing OF/3B/1B .

He's been in AAA all season but has not played 3B there. He started off in RF as the Orioles wanted him to learn to play OF if they were to recall him. That did not go well and was abandoned in early June. Since then he has split time between 1B (31 games, 3 errors) and DH (40). Interesting that they stressed he had to play a position but now seem to have given up and let him DH most of the time. There has been no talk in Baltimore about any imminent recall. He's not even close to being anything more than a DH.

RichD

Serpico is back!

Post by RichD »

4C616C7D7A6B7C3C3F0E0 wrote: 0Pedro Alvarez could be a nice bench piece.Should not cost too much to get him from the O`s...Hitting his usual 240 ish with 25 Hr and 79 rbi in AAA..Heck he has been playing OF/3B/1B .

He's been in AAA all season but has not played 3B there. He started off in RF as the Orioles wanted him to learn to play OF if they were to recall him. That did not go well and was abandoned in early June. Since then he has split time between 1B (31 games, 3 errors) and DH (40).  Interesting that they stressed he had to play a position but now seem to have given up and let him DH most of the time. There has been no talk in Baltimore about any imminent recall. He's not even close to being anything more than a DH.   

Well his stats say RF 42 / 1B 32 games ..Played 1b tonite...But he can still play some 3b.It s not like he forgot how . Could be a solid bench player .Still could be a solid bench piece just bat him 6th when he plays .we could get 20 + hr and 70 rbi , if a mgr uses him right .
Speedloader88

Serpico is back!

Post by Speedloader88 »

Kinda weird but on the good clubs we had from 13-15 I thought Pedro was an absolute albatross. That said, because this club is so bad comparatively speaking, I wouldn't mind considering Pedro Alvarez for the bench. I am going to go punish myself for that thought now.......
Bobster21

Serpico is back!

Post by Bobster21 »

5E656F64480C0 wrote: 0Pedro Alvarez could be a nice bench piece.Should not cost too much to get him from the O`s...Hitting his usual 240 ish with 25 Hr and 79 rbi in AAA..Heck he has been playing OF/3B/1B .

He's been in AAA all season but has not played 3B there. He started off in RF as the Orioles wanted him to learn to play OF if they were to recall him. That did not go well and was abandoned in early June. Since then he has split time between 1B (31 games, 3 errors) and DH (40).  Interesting that they stressed he had to play a position but now seem to have given up and let him DH most of the time. There has been no talk in Baltimore about any imminent recall. He's not even close to being anything more than a DH.   

Well his stats say RF 42 / 1B 32 games ..Played 1b tonite...But he can still play some 3b.It s not like he forgot how . Could be a solid bench player .Still could be a solid bench piece just bat him 6th when he plays .we could get 20 + hr and 70 rbi , if a mgr uses him right .

If he was a disaster at 3B for the Pirates and Orioles (the Orioles briefly started him there 6 times last year and he made 4 errors) and when the Orioles wanted him to work on defense in AAA but never once put him at 3B, how is it that you can declare him capable of playing 3B? I explained the RF experiment. That ended badly in June. He can't DH in the NL. That only leaves 1B where was he a disaster for the Pirates and the Orioles aren't even pursuing that much now in AAA where they DH him more than he plays 1B. Pedro is NOT an NL bench piece.
dmetz

Serpico is back!

Post by dmetz »

He's not a ML ball player, which is exactly what his trajectory pointed to when he couldn't field at 3b or 1b.  He doesn't have the bat for DH.  He can't play anywhere on the field and make up for his glove.   

He's unable to play 1b passably after years of trying.  It's crazy.   

I'm sure he's very athletic though and has an AWESOME work ethic!  Just like I always heard about.  Because playing 1b passably is one tough thing to do! 

That's a career, Pedro. Congrats