Giancarlo Stanton cleared waivers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

547974656273642427160 wrote: Apparently the Pirates plan to acquire Stanton to create a platoon with Polanco.  Polanco is the future.
I'm looking at a 3-way platoon with Stanton, Polanco and Jaso. Hurdle will be the first to realize that Stanton needs plenty of rest, and, hey, ya gotta find a place for Jaso's bat.

Latest news is that the Pirates plan to let Jaso switch hit. As a result the impending trade for Stanton is off. Neal is quoted "We believe in John Jaso and are convinced we are set in RF for years to come. We wish Stanton the best, but we simply don't have a need. This will also create important financial flexibility as we continue to build a world champion team."
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

This thread is just what I and a lot of others here at OBN needed.

A thread that began in a serious tone converted to one of absurdity that makes me laugh out loud. Thanks guys for the humor for today.

And Bobster my answer to your question about ice and flying pigs, the egg! ::) ::) ::) ::)
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

012028012A22450 wrote: This thread is just what I and a lot of others here at OBN needed.

A thread that began in a serious tone converted to one of absurdity that makes me laugh out loud.  Thanks guys for the humor for today.

And Bobster my answer to your question about ice and flying pigs,  the egg!   ::) ::) ::) ::)

Possum, I can't believe you'd look for humor here! These are bona fide lies and rumors! >:(
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

2D2A3C343A2D6A661F38323E3633713C30325F0 wrote: This thread is just what I and a lot of others here at OBN needed.

A thread that began in a serious tone converted to one of absurdity that makes me laugh out loud.  Thanks guys for the humor for today.

And Bobster my answer to your question about ice and flying pigs,  the egg!   ::) ::) ::) ::)

Possum, I can't believe you'd look for humor here!  These are bona fide lies and rumors!  >:(

Maybe I'm too easy going now a days since I got a taste of a ball team whose players put forth a valiant effort and end up leading their division. And tix are cheap and food at the park is very reasonable and not bad tasting. Who might they be? Why none other than The West Virginia Black Bears

I've even put my Pirates hat on the season ending DL in favor of the Black Bears hat.

And by the way the Black Bears had 5 guys named to the NY-Penn League south all-star team and one of them Tristan Gray wound up being the hero by hitting a HR to put the South in the lead and then singled in the 9th to provide insurance for his team. Now that is what baseball is all about.

Where have you gone Baseball in Pittsburgh?
mouse

Post by mouse »

Sigh. I understand your position exactly, Possum. Time was when I could go see the short season A team whenever I wished. The tickets were cheap, the seats pretty much wherever you wanted them (I preferred those behind home plate so I could see if the ball curved), the food good . . . Alas, while I can still get those seats and enjoy that food, the players are now little baby cardinals. And they, as we all know, will some day grow up to be regular cardinals.

I was going to suggest minor league ball to IABucsfan as an alternate. It really is a fun experience.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

67657F796F0A0 wrote: Sigh. I understand your position exactly, Possum. Time was when I could go see the short season A team whenever I wished. The tickets were cheap, the seats pretty much wherever you wanted them (I preferred those behind home plate so I could see if the ball curved), the food good . . . Alas, while I can still get those seats and enjoy that food, the players are now little baby cardinals. And they, as we all know, will some day grow up to be regular cardinals.

I was going to suggest minor league ball to IABucsat fan as an alternate. It really is a fun experience.

You are on the spot about MiLB baseball. My daughter and grandkids live in Seattle and love to go to Mariners short season A team the Everett Aquasox and the AAA Tacoma Ranier's games. That is how I got interested in Morgantown from talking to them. Who says you cant teach an Old Fart new tricks.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

26243E382E4B0 wrote: Sigh. I understand your position exactly, Possum. Time was when I could go see the short season A team whenever I wished. The tickets were cheap, the seats pretty much wherever you wanted them (I preferred those behind home plate so I could see if the ball curved), the food good . . . Alas, while I can still get those seats and enjoy that food, the players are now little baby cardinals. And they, as we all know, will some day grow up to be regular cardinals.

I was going to suggest minor league ball to IABucsfan as an alternate. It really is a fun experience.

I enjoy MiLB. Won't take in another Pirates game until I see a firm commitment to winning, but would readily take in an MiLB game. Closest to me would be the Iowa Cubs (AAA).
mouse

Post by mouse »

IA, you have the same problem I do (although at least I get to see an occasional Pirate farm team visit). If you watch enough Cubs minor league games, next thing you know some of those guys will be in the majors and you'll find yourself pulling for them. Sort of a slow motion conversion of fandom.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

6D6F757365000 wrote: IA, you have the same problem I do (although at least I get to see an occasional Pirate farm team visit). If you watch enough Cubs minor league games, next thing you know some of those guys will be in the majors and you'll find yourself pulling for them. Sort of a slow motion conversion of fandom.

No, I could never root for the Cubs. Even when I tried to find a new team a couple of weeks ago, I knew I could never bring myself to be a Cubs, Brewers, or Yanks fan. I have a special kind of disdain for those guys.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

40484B7C6A4F6867090 wrote: IA, you have the same problem I do (although at least I get to see an occasional Pirate farm team visit). If you watch enough Cubs minor league games, next thing you know some of those guys will be in the majors and you'll find yourself pulling for them. Sort of a slow motion conversion of fandom.

No, I could never root for the Cubs.  Even when I tried to find a new team a couple of weeks ago, I knew I could never bring myself to be a Cubs, Brewers, or Yanks fan. I have a special kind of disdain for those guys.

I've found that for the Brewers, it was more that specific group of players I really despised.

For a while I also thought I hated the Reds but it turns out it was only Dusty Baker.

Cubs and Redsox it's the fan bases that drive me nuts--it's not actually the team that does it for me (though Maddon infuriates me, making the Cubs a special two strike case).