Nicasio traded to Cardinals

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

So, bottom line, the Phillies got the Cardinals' No. 19 prospect by sending them the Pirates' 2nd best relief pitcher.

The Pirates got nothing.

Brilliant.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5D7F6C717277707F5C6B7D7D711E0 wrote: So, bottom line, the Phillies got the Cardinals' No. 19 prospect by sending them the Pirates' 2nd best relief pitcher.

The Pirates got nothing.

Brilliant.
The Pirates got exactly what THEY wanted: $600,000 in the bank. They're happy.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

113C31202736216162530 wrote: So, bottom line, the Phillies got the Cardinals' No. 19 prospect by sending them the Pirates' 2nd best relief pitcher.

The Pirates got nothing.

Brilliant.

Right. They also avoided being a push over in a trade or giving in to the demands of a better team.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

There are two separate issues here which people appear to be muddling.  One is not trading Nicassio.  That I am more or less okay with.  NH said he did not get an offer he liked from the claiming team.  Fine.  The second issue is entirely separate and I really wish folks would stop muddling them.  Putting him on unconditional waivers.  Hindsight being 20/20, it is clear now that the Phillies claimed Niccasio with the singular purpose of immediately flipping him for whatever they could get.  Who they got is barely relevant.  They got something for nothing.  I can't say whether it should have been obvious to NH that this would happen, but I sure hope he learned a big lesson and will not repeat this nonsense in the future. 

Food for thought, though:

Nicassio ended up with a contender, precisely as NH had intended.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2B2E292F272D342920333538410 wrote: There are two separate issues here which people appear to be muddling.  One is not trading Nicassio.  That I am more or less okay with.  NH said he did not get an offer he liked from the claiming team.  Fine.  The second issue is entirely separate and I really wish folks would stop muddling them.  Putting him on unconditional waivers.  Hindsight being 20/20, it is clear now that the Phillies claimed Niccasio with the singular purpose of immediately flipping him for whatever they could get.  Who they got is barely relevant.  They got something for nothing.  I can't say whether it should have been obvious to NH that this would happen, but I sure hope he learned a big lesson and will not repeat this nonsense in the future. 

Food for thought, though:

Nicassio ended up with a contender, precisely as NH had intended. 

not quite precisely as he didn't want him playing for someone the Pirates were competing with. NH said this was an unusual move. The Pirates gained 10 innings for youngsters to pitch and 600k.

Instead of being honest and saying that he tried to justify it with a bunch of gobbledy goop.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

7F747C7075746F2A2C5B627A7374743578741B0 wrote: So, bottom line, the Phillies got the Cardinals' No. 19 prospect by sending them the Pirates' 2nd best relief pitcher.

The Pirates got nothing.

Brilliant.

Right.  They also avoided being a push over in a trade or giving in to the demands of a better team.

Yeah we showed them ;D
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

And we just gave brilliant Neal and his buddy CH 4 more years. I don't think I can stand 4 more years of this crap.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

38392233256562560 wrote: So, bottom line, the Phillies got the Cardinals' No. 19 prospect by sending them the Pirates' 2nd best relief pitcher.

The Pirates got nothing.

Brilliant.

Right.  They also avoided being a push over in a trade or giving in to the demands of a better team.

Yeah we showed them ;D

:D ;D

It only appears the Pirates are bringing up the rear in MLB.  Actually, the Pirates are so far ahead of the rest of the teams that we've actually getting ready to lap the rest of the MLB.

The Walker trade(s), Liarino, Nicasio - BRILLIANT!

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3E392F27293E79750C2B212D2520622F23214C0 wrote: So, bottom line, the Phillies got the Cardinals' No. 19 prospect by sending them the Pirates' 2nd best relief pitcher.

The Pirates got nothing.

Brilliant.

Yeah we showed them ;D

:D ;D

It only appears the Pirates are bringing up the rear in MLB.  Actually, the Pirates are so far ahead of the rest of the teams that we've actually getting ready to lap the rest of the MLB.

The Walker trade(s), Liarino, Nicasio - BRILLIANT!

Ahh, nostalgic times. Reminiscent of the A-Ram trade, the Wes Chamberlain ("oops, I meant to say revocable waivers"), the early giveaway of Moises Alou by identifying him as the player to be named later and the Glen Wilson trades.

Wilson, 30, was the starting RFer the 1989 Pirates and asked to be traded to his home town of Houston. Apparently going for the Mr. Congeniality award, GM Larry Doughty agreed to trade his starting RFer to the Astros in early May for catcher Alan Ashby, 37. Ashby was finished. He was hitting .164 and had just lost his job as the starting catcher to rookie Craig Biggio. Ashby was on the verge of being released when, lo and behold, Doughty offered his starting RFer for him. Astros GM Bill Wood thought about it for a half second and agreed to the deal. But Ashby refused to go to the Pirates and was released and retired the next day. Stuck with the good hitting Wilson, Doughty persevered to move him to Houston. On August 18, Wilson was leading the Pirates with a .282 BA, 2nd in RBIs with 49, 3rd in doubles (20) and 3rd in HRs (9). And that was a team that also had Bonilla, Bonds and Van Slyke. That day he was traded to the Astros for Billy Hatcher, hitting .228 with 3 HRs. He hit .244 the rest of the way for the Pirates and was traded to the Reds at the end of ST the following year. Actually, Wilson never did much either after the trade. He should have stayed with the Pirates where he was hitting well. Ah, such great memories.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

476A67767160773734050 wrote:

Ahh, nostalgic times. Reminiscent of the A-Ram trade, the Wes Chamberlain ("oops, I meant to say revocable waivers"), the early giveaway of Moises Alou by identifying him as the player to be named later and the Glen Wilson trades.

Wilson, 30, was the starting RFer the 1989 Pirates and asked to be traded to his home town of Houston. Apparently going for the Mr. Congeniality award, GM Larry Doughty agreed to trade his starting RFer to the Astros in early May for catcher Alan Ashby, 37. Ashby was finished. He was hitting .164 and had just lost his job as the starting catcher to rookie Craig Biggio. Ashby was on the verge of being released when, lo and behold, Doughty offered his starting RFer for him. Astros GM Bill Wood thought about it for a half second and agreed to the deal. But Ashby refused to go to the Pirates and was released and retired the next day. Stuck with the good hitting Wilson, Doughty persevered to move him to Houston. On August 18, Wilson was leading the Pirates with a .282 BA, 2nd in RBIs with 49, 3rd in doubles (20) and 3rd in HRs (9). And that was a team that also had Bonilla, Bonds and Van Slyke. That day he was traded to the Astros for Billy Hatcher, hitting .228 with 3 HRs. He hit .244 the rest of the way for the Pirates and was traded to the Reds at the end of ST the following year. Actually, Wilson never did much either after the trade. He should have stayed with the Pirates where he was hitting well. Ah, such great memories.

I think that Wilson may have been a Doughty "oops," signed for two years within a few days of when Doughty took over the GM job in 1988. Wilson was all the wrong things for a right fielder - he wouldn't take a walk, he had doubles power instead of homer power, he had an arm instead of range. Once the glow of his big year in Philly wore off, he was passed around the league like a hot potato. The Pirates went several years with Bonilla on a RF-3B shuttle, while filling in the other spot with a vast array of players. I never for a second wished they had held onto Wilson.