Bucs get Dickerson

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Aaron

Bucs get Dickerson

Post by Aaron »

Just dumping Hudson would have been excellent news.

Getting Dickerson in return for him is icing on the cake.
SammyKhalifa

Bucs get Dickerson

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1:17pm: The Pirates are sending the Rays $1MM as part of the trade, reports Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic. In essence, then, they’ll spend an additional $1.45MM to turn Hudson into Dickerson, while the Rays will add a reliever to their ’pen, a prospect to the lower levels of their farm system, and trim $1.45MM from their 2018 payroll.

hmm, i didn't realize biertempfel had left the trib.
fjk090852-7

Bucs get Dickerson

Post by fjk090852-7 »

666F677678020 wrote: Luplow to minors.  Dickerson starts vs RHP.  Brentz starts vs LHP.

That's a good trade.
I like the idea of this proposed platoon for left field. Maybe you could project 30-35 homers between the two players.
Ecbucs

Bucs get Dickerson

Post by Ecbucs »

757978232A232B26213E24130 wrote: Luplow to minors.  Dickerson starts vs RHP.  Brentz starts vs LHP.

That's a good trade.
I like the idea of this proposed platoon for left field. Maybe you could project 30-35 homers between the two players.

Line up definitely looks better. Cervelli is only guy in line up lacking at least 10 home run power.
Quail

Bucs get Dickerson

Post by Quail »

Getting Dickerson makes good sense for the Pirates. Getting rid of Hudson in the bargain is like addition by subtraction. Tristen Gray? A diffuse cloud on the horizon of 2022.

I give NH credit for a good move here.
SammyKhalifa

Bucs get Dickerson

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Can anyone provide some Rays perspective on this? The money is almost a wash before anyone goes there.
DemDog

Bucs get Dickerson

Post by DemDog »

Let us not take the cost for Dickerson to lightly. Yes, dumping Hudson turns junk into something usable. But the Bucs also sent cash considerations along to the Rays as well as Tristan Gray and young middle infielder who seems to have a bat. Got to see him a few times when I went to Black Bears games and was impressed.

Here is what P2 says about him:

"That leaves Tristan Gray as the other piece in the trade and he looked like a promising hitter this past season after being drafted in the 13th round. Gray was the best hitter on Morgantown and played solid defense at second base, while also sliding over to shortstop for added versatility. He has some solid potential in his bat from the left side with both power and average, but if there’s any position that the Pirates could give up lower level depth, it’s middle infield. He could very well end up as a solid big leaguer, though that won’t be for at least 3-4 years down the line. We had him as the 40th best prospect in our 2018 Prospect Guide."

I strongly suggest that if you want some top notch info about the players in the Bucs minor league system subscribe to Pirates Prospects . It cost less than one cup of Starbucks coffee or one tall draft beer per month.
Bobster21

Bucs get Dickerson

Post by Bobster21 »

Holy cow! Just getting rid of Hudson is a bonus. Dickerson benefited by playing in Coors Field and has been pretty ordinary in the 2 years since. Altho he did have a great 1st half last year. He also hits LHP fairly well so a platoon probably won't be needed unless he slumps vs LHP.
psuinpgh21

Bucs get Dickerson

Post by psuinpgh21 »

I like it. Hudson wasn't worth anything, Gray had a decent year at WVBB but is so far away and there are a lot of middle IF prospects ahead of him. If the Bucs are paying the difference between Hudson and Dickerson's salaries (or less) this is good. Feliz/Schugel/Kontos/Crick/Santana/Neverauskas/Glasnow could be a decent bunch of arms.

Who would think the Pirates would take advantage of a salary dump?
Bobster21

Bucs get Dickerson

Post by Bobster21 »

61535F5F4B795A535E5B5453320 wrote: Can anyone provide some Rays perspective on this?  The money is almost a wash before anyone goes there.
The deal includes cash considerations from the Pirates. Obviously, TB was cutting costs when they DFA's him. Now they get Hudson at a similar price so the Bucs must be paying a big chunk of Hudson's salary.