Breakout Player Prediction

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

What I was seeing was that he was slow and had defensive limitations, which is enough of a problem normally, but a real problem in left in Pittsburgh.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

44465C5A4C290 wrote: What I was seeing was that he was slow and had defensive limitations, which is enough of a problem normally, but a real problem in left in Pittsburgh.

Could Polanco's "defensive limitations" come from just the way he is built. Long and lanky and a bit clumsy with those long proportions. To correct it perhaps he can grow into his size? He seems to me to take long strides vs shorter ones like a smaller player might do. Think he is faster than some think he is. We shall see how he does this season both at bat and in the field.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

Good news, bad news.  So many candidates for breakouts and/or bounce-back years.  Good.  But it also means they haven't had great year(s). Bad.

At the ML level, I'l go with Polanco and Taillon.  I'd love for it to be Glasnow, but I think it's too much to ask with his inexperience.  I think Taillon could really solidify himself as a TOR guy this year.  Polanco - I'm really just hoping he can put it together this year and mash like we all hoped he would.  Look for a bounce-back year from Marte.  I don't know if we'll see 20+ HRs, but 15 with 40 SBs and 85-100 runs would be a great year.

The MiL level, I think Reynolds will pleasantly surprise us mainly because he's new to us.  I think Uselton and one of Kranick or Ogle (hopefully both) will breakout in big ways.  I'm hoping for bounce-back years from Meadows and Newman.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Cole Tucker should get a full season of AA at bats .Guy hasn't really ever had a chance to settle in at any level, in a season. Just needs to stay healthy.

Colin Moran . I think he puts of numbers similar to Bell last year.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

27060E270C04630 wrote: I am going with two players who have to perform for their own future sake:

Polanco in the majors.  He has all the tools, he has had one solid year.  He should certainly be a .800+ OPS guy.

Meadows in the minors.  He needs a healthy year and show he can hit in Triple A.  I felt he was projected to hit the majors last year, he certainly can be a call up this year if he is hitting.  I would love to see him get 500 at bats this year.

Me too Dog.  More Polanco than Meadows.

What makes you think it will be Polanco? I don't see any reason to believe we are going to see much more than we already have. His swing sucks, and he looks uncomfortable at best in the OF.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

34352E3F29696E5A0 wrote: I am going with two players who have to perform for their own future sake:

Polanco in the majors.  He has all the tools, he has had one solid year.  He should certainly be a .800+ OPS guy.

Meadows in the minors.  He needs a healthy year and show he can hit in Triple A.  I felt he was projected to hit the majors last year, he certainly can be a call up this year if he is hitting.  I would love to see him get 500 at bats this year.

What makes you think it will be Polanco? I don't see any reason to believe we are going to see much more than we already have. His swing sucks, and he looks uncomfortable at best in the OF.

I don't want to speak for others, but he showed some hints of a possible breakout last year. He would start to get hot then come up injured. He had changed his work out plan last off season and it really didn't pan out so this year he went back to his old plan. So if that means he stays healthy, its possible we might see a break out.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

777275737B7168757C6F69641D0 wrote: I am going with two players who have to perform for their own future sake:

I don't want to speak for others, but he showed some hints of a possible breakout last year.  He would start to get hot then come up injured.  He had changed his work out plan last off season and it really didn't pan out so this year he went back to his old plan.  So if that means he stays healthy, its possible we might see a break out.

I could see that. I am not sure he will ever be a consistent hitter for average but It would not surprise me if he hit 30 HR at some point.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Polanco had a fine 2016 at the plate. He was injured too often last year to build upon that season. Considering his age, I feel he can have that very good year and post an .800+ OPS.

If he hits, no one will care about his defense. I don't know why he looks so awkward roaming the field, but at least he can throw.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Polanco, because he learns to shorten his swing and get a higher launch angle. Frazier hits 320 and competes for a batting title but is short on 502 plate appearances. Marte improves laugh angle and hits 29 homers. Moran hits like Madlock. JT comes in 3rd for Cy Young!
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

This season in the majors Moran.

In the minors: O'Neil Cruz is going to make us forget Cutch in about 2021